What Will Be The First Magnacut Model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: What Will Be The First Magnacut Model?

Post by Evil D »

I'm totally in for a mule and a Shaman!
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Very nice, that all sounds like great news! I'm really excited for this steel, it feels historic in the knife industry. Haha! We're lucky to have Larrin around. Seems like this thread will be active for awhile!
So it goes.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Native 5
"Some call me...Tim?"
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Para 2 or 3 would be excellent. The Paramilitary 2 is a personal favorite, but I've been really appreciating the Para 3 lately.

Native would also be good.

It seems the above 3 are probably the most reasonable guesses (even without Sal chiming in). Of course, these after the Mule.

Personally, I'd really love something like a Bow River in MagnaCut. A thin, svelte, practical fixed blade. Honestly, a sprint of the Proficient in MagnaCut and micarta would be a dream come true for me. I'm not going to hold my breath on that one though.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Being that this is a good all around steel, it will be good in almost any configuration. I will hop on the mule train for sure. A Slysz bowie XL with a 4 1/4” blade would be my fantasy introduction knife. Large handed people need knives too :D

An XL Slysz Bowie would be a crowd pleaser in a known commodity but with a bit extra!
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:40 am
https://youtu.be/blpWea5lElU
https://youtu.be/Q_mEJtgGVZE
https://youtu.be/URnTuXNzs0o
https://youtu.be/y9WHNA_4FMY
https://youtu.be/YCsQMafTjDQ

Thanks to BBB for making these!
Almost as good as being there.
Thanks for the links, and thank you BBB! Really like the gentle pressure on CRK. Big Chris is still the man. Looking forward to trying MC out and I know Spyderco will bring it to market quickly. I guess hoping for the PM2 LW release in Magnacut is going to far?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:44 pm
As far as introduction with Spyderco, I'd druther begin with a bunch of Mule Teams so we can get them out to ELU's. And Larrin, Please make sure we your optimal heat treat. It will be Eric's call on models. We did order quite a bit of steel. For me, I think a Para 2 or 3 and a Shaman.

sal
Sal, thank you for chiming in. I'm excited to hear that Spyderco was able to order a bunch of Magnacut, and I can't wait to see what you all do with it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Grinding it into gold like an alchemist is what they will be doing with it
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

Pm2, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2 LW, Native 5 LW. I will have them all!
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

I would love to see a manix 2 lw, and both the small and big enuff models. A rugged, workhorse little fixed blade in magnacut sounds epic (the mule doesn't really fit my big hands well, but I may have to give it another try for the magnacut version.
Kid

Post by Kid »

Manix 2 lw would be awesome!
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I know I already mentioned fixed blades being the place where I think MagnaCut would shine brightest, but I was just now thinking of the Province.
Considering the new steel’s been compared to a “stainless 4v”. I do wonder if it would make sense that the Province which is already made in 4v finds success with a MagnaCut variation that keeps its toughness/edge retention and gains that corrosion resistance.

Personally, the Province seems just fine as it is and already offers a unique spot in the production market, so this is just a interesting thought I figured I’d toss to y’all.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

Larrin wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:56 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:38 pm
Hey Larrin,

Thanx for chiming in. I've got a challenge for you. I've been thinking of a way to make a chart that would take the 3 factors; Corrosion resistance, Toughness and abrasion resistance and present them in some way that forms a triangle and the shape of the triangle would give you an interesting way of comparing? I think if anyone can come up with it, you can.

sal
What you’re describing sounds similar to a spider chart. BladeHQ does something similar though they include ease of sharpening for a fourth rating. I’m not a big fan of the ratings they have though. I’m trying to help them improve the ratings but it’s going slowly right now.

Hi Larrin,

Thanx for the input. Appreciate. In my opinion, ease of sharpening is very dependent on the material hardness and the edge geometry, which is are variables. Toughness, Corrosion resistance and Abrasion resistance are more fixed properties. So I'm more interested in the fixed properties of the steel. So I / we need a Larrin Triangle to use as a quick reference and I'm sure there are many others would as well?

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:13 am
Larrin wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:56 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:38 pm
Hey Larrin,

Thanx for chiming in. I've got a challenge for you. I've been thinking of a way to make a chart that would take the 3 factors; Corrosion resistance, Toughness and abrasion resistance and present them in some way that forms a triangle and the shape of the triangle would give you an interesting way of comparing? I think if anyone can come up with it, you can.

sal
What you’re describing sounds similar to a spider chart. BladeHQ does something similar though they include ease of sharpening for a fourth rating. I’m not a big fan of the ratings they have though. I’m trying to help them improve the ratings but it’s going slowly right now.

Hi Larrin,

Thanx for the input. Appreciate. In my opinion, ease of sharpening is very dependent on the material hardness and the edge geometry, which is are variables. Toughness, Corrosion resistance and Abrasion resistance are more fixed properties. So I'm more interested in the fixed properties of the steel. So I / we need a Larrin Triangle to use as a quick reference and I'm sure there are many others would as well?

sal
I mentioned similar just a few posts above yours.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JR,

That's two of us. Now we need to nag Larrin. ;) A quick visual reference. Maybe Magnacut would be an isosceles triangle?

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:57 am
Hi JR,

That's two of us. Now we need to nag Larrin. ;) A quick visual reference. Maybe Magnacut would be an isosceles triangle?

sal
Yes, please Larrin. I'd like to see them on his website as well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I support the idea of the Larrin Triangle - a very easy-to-digest visual approach, reminiscent of video game stats!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't Wear/Abrasion Resistance and Toughness still be highly dependent on the heat treat and final hardness of the steel?

To achieve what Sal's suggesting, would Larrin have to test everything at a given hardness?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

I agree. But an optimal hardness is easier to determine than an optimal "ease of sharpening".

sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Came here for the folders, and soon the PM2 became my mule.

A MagnaCut PM2 would be fine by me, and a MagnaCut Shaman would be finer still.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Matus

Post by Matus »

sal wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:13 am

... In my opinion, ease of sharpening is very dependent on the material hardness and the edge geometry, which is are variables. ....
sal
The thinner the edge, the easier the sharpening, just saying :p
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...