Para 3 LW poor scale grip vs D4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
foofie

Re: Para 3 LW poor scale grip vs D4

Post by foofie »

I have no doubt that some find the Para 3 LW scales a bit less secure than the D4. Just wanted to add a different opinion, for someone who might stumble upon this thread. The Para3 LW scales are so well contoured that this is now my favorite platform. I have stopped buying the regular para 3 (well, mostly...) in favor of the lightweight. I always place my index finger in the choil (hand feels too cramped without the choil), and I have not had anything approaching slipping. There is a larger and smoother area as compared to the Delica - but the ergonomics of the handle have been stellar for me. I will add that I had many sets of micarta scales - I sanded them smooth and there was still no worries about slippage.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

You guys have me second guessing myself. I was going to buy a Para 3 LW but have since decided to hold off until I can see it in person. Hopefully my local dealer gets one in soon.
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

I actually like the grip on the para 3. I feel a secure grip is achieved by shape and not texture as much. It is smoother in and out of pocket than some of the grippier FRN and much more so than standard G10. I have never had a problem with slipping or handling issues because it has less texture than some others. It is still textured just not a super rough grip which IMHO is a good thing. Has anyone else that has one experienced any slipping issues due to the FRN texturing?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Some people (not me) have complained that the texturing on a lot of the other models was shredding pockets. It does and now I'm loosening the tension on all the clips on my FRN knives with bi-directional texturing so I don't have to keep replacing clothes. I remember awhile back that Sal (or someone from Spyderco) mentioned that on the Para 3 LW they were going try texturing that wasn't quite so harsh. They did and now people are complaining that it's slippery. There's always going to be someone complaining about something

I have one of my Para 3 LWs in hand at the moment and, yes it's more subdued than the normal bi-direction texturing, but it's hardly what I'd call slippery. Yes, the edges are smooth. It hasn't been a problem for me but I could see how it might be for some. Not sure it would be possible but maybe Spyderco could CQI the mold sand blast just the outer edges?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Matus

Post by Matus »

The texturing on the P3LW is fine, it is the smooth, non-textured edges some of us find a bit slippery. Golden makes these smooth while Seki models have bit of an 'orange skin' like structure.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:32 pm
You guys have me second guessing myself. I was going to buy a Para 3 LW but have since decided to hold off until I can see it in person. Hopefully my local dealer gets one in soon.
Despite this one flaw if I had to keep only one knife my para 3 LW would be the one.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I'll still give the Para 3 a try, it will most likely be my next purchase. It's such a beautiful knife.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Matus wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:04 pm
The texturing on the P3LW is fine, it is the smooth, non-textured edges some of us find a bit slippery. Golden makes these smooth while Seki models have bit of an 'orange skin' like structure.
That smoother edge texture is my only gripe with the Para 3. I'd like a little more texture.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
MrMatnenko

Post by MrMatnenko »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:32 pm
yes, you should feel it, play with it, try to put it on a desk, then grab... Me personally, this is how, I was confused...
When I came in a local store, a stuff handed me the knife from the showcase. I played with it, and find the handle very convenient. Later I ordered at DLT website Spy27 fully confident in my right choice. But when it arrived and I started to use it as an every day tool , like, leaving it on flat surfaces and then grabbing it, sometime with too dry fingers, then a realized, in some situations, that rounded glossy edges, force me to pick up the knife more carefully... Nevertheless , I have to admit, once you grab it, it sits great, and your hand is in safe place from the blade.
just to give you an idea of my background