Para 3 lock stick fix?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kingston73

Para 3 lock stick fix?

Post by kingston73 »

I recently got a para 3 and while it's a great size it is a little rough to close. The lock sticks and if I adjust the pivot to eliminate playing doesn't fall shut. Thoughts? This is my first 3, never had this issue with any of my pm2's.
Sharp Guy

Re: Para 3 lock stick fix?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Haven't any issues with any of my Para 3s but I did have a PM2 that had lock stick. I just used it and after a week or so I realized the lock stick was gone
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

My para 3 lw had lock stick that resolved with use.
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

A little bit of Knife Pivot Lube (or 10w NanoLube) on the detent or just sitting on the couch watching netflix opening/closing it for a bit is what I've found to fix the issue
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
JMM

Post by JMM »

I've had lock stick with one g10 Para3 that resolved with a few days of use, it's a pretty good bet if you do it will go away on it's own in no time.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I agree with the others, on any knife I had with lock stick, use was what cured it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Use it. A lot.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Make sure the lock face on the blade tang and liner are clean. No lube there. Try some graphite on it : just color on the blade tangs lock face with a pencil. Its a short term solution but will help during the break in process.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

My Para 3 LWs don't drop shut if adjusted to my preferred level of blade play either. I suspect it's just a consequence of the liner-less, bushing-less construction on one side.
Last edited by Gtscotty on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Gtscotty wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:33 am
My Para 3 LWs don't drop shut if adjusted to my preferred level of blade play either. I suspect it's just a consequence of the liner-less, bushing-less construction on on one side.
It seems like it varies. My first one (first run BD1N) is really good. It drops shut nicely and there's no perceptible play when it's locked up. It's also centered. My M390 has a tiny bit of play and also has a really strong detent. My SPY27 P3 is the worst of the 3 but not actually too bad either. No complaints about any of them
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You have to adjust the pivot based on how the knife likes it, not to your preference. Not every one will drop shut if the pivot is adjusted to prevent blade wobble. These are not hand fitted custom knives so you have to make allowances for tolerance stacking and unavoidable variances in manufacturing.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

A drop of lube on the stop pin where the blade hits it when closed will help quite a bit.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
FK

Post by FK »

I have a nice collection of Para 3 (no LW) and PM2 knives. Only one has slight lock stick,,,, it was purchased used and is the first run of Knife Works CTS 204P with dark green G10. Lubed with Nano-Oil and used for a while,,,, the lock stick is gradually going away.

Regards,
FK