SpydieChef for EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
captnvegtble

SpydieChef for EDC?

Post by captnvegtble »

I'm looking for a little feedback on using the SpydieChef for EDC. I finally pulled the trigger and bought one after all the hype and positive comments about the knife. I've been hesitant because I'm not sure if I like the dramatically upswept blade. Now that I have the knife in-hand, it's very comfortable and ergonomic, I love the thin design and size, love the titanium and RIL lock, love the wire clip... but I'm not sure if I like the blade shape and angle. I totally understand it's utility as a "chef knife" and the use for food prep; it's very functional when in pinch grip... but I'm less sure if I like the upswept blade for EDC.

How have other people used the SpydieChef, and have you found it functional for EDC? I'm struggling with this because I want to be comfortable EDC'ing any knife I carry, and not ha ve a pocket knife just intended for food prep (which wouldn't be a primary use). Thanks!
Karl_H

Re: SpydieChef for EDC?

Post by Karl_H »

Try using a "precision grip" (index finger on the spine, thumb on spydiehole, middle finger wrapped behind the guard), when you want to use the tip.

Precision and pinch grips are what I use the most with the Spydiechef. May require a bit of adjustment from how you are used to using other pocket knives.
Last edited by Karl_H on Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Works fine for EDC. knives with a big belly work good for me.

Food prep is cutting different things so there's no reason that won't translate to every day stuff.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Love mine for edc, no complaints at all!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

To be clear: I never tried a Spydiechef, so just theoretical thoughts:.

What I'd consider (as pro or con!) is the very positive blade angle of this model:
Great for cutting on a surface, but perhaps does not "grab" matter one holds in hand as well and makes things like opening boxes a bit more awkward (the wrist has to be tilted more)

What I'd personally like: Frame lock and long cutting edge for the overall size.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Congratulations! The SpydieChef has so many positive virtues. While you can totally rock it on a flat surface to mince garlic, I, too, feel its name is somewhat of a misnomer. Still, if invited to dinner at a friend's place known for notoriously dull knives, the SpydieChef will be in my pocket. In a day and age where a negative angled power cutting blade is deemed mandatory to defend oneself against the onslaught of an army of life threatening cardboard, I still find reason for an ongoing illicit love affair with my SpydieChef.

I use my knives mostly for slicing..........not power cutting. The entire cutting edge of the SpyderChef from heel to tip is usable in almost all scenarios. Negative blade angles not so much in many instances.

Great neutral ergos. Can be comfortably used in almost any grip you can think of.

Excellent build quality. No play. Even as a rightie, it is easily the most SpydieFlickable knife i own. One must guard against overpowering flicks. It IS that slick. :) To close, simply hold the knife horrizontally and depress the framelock with your thumb and the blade smoothly drops against your thumbnail.

This is mostly about the LC200N steel as I really like its balance of properties. While I very much appreciate its corrosion resistance to blood, sweat, & tears to say nothing of salt & slime, I really love the ease of sharpening with decent edge retention. I prefer hair scaring push cut glass smooth, but slicey coarse is ridiculously easy. Your choice. BTW, did I mention that slicey coarse is ridiculously easy?

The ONLY reason the SpydieChef is not my EDC is the mysteriously underappreciated Manta 2. The Mantra 2 is the very definition of pocket friendly easy carry in EDC.

Lastly, my greatest appreciation for the SpydieChef is probably the least understood but does involve food prep. As I've stated before, IMHO it is the defacto standard for pocket friendly Big Game skinners. I went into greater detail in the thread (Form follows Function") so I won't do so here but let me say that the nuances of skinning blade sweep are pretty much alien to the uninitiated non Big Game hunters and maybe not even understood among most Big Game hunters. Suffice it to say that the SpydieChef allows full use of the entire cutting edge from heel to toe in an efficient and effective manner.................in both directions without breaking contact with the carcass. Most Big Game hunters hang the critter upside down from a gambrel and skin on the down stroke and repeat. Imagine using a roller to paint a wall using only a down stroke. Pretty inefficient, eh? Painting using both an up and down stroke is more than twice as efficient and effective time wise since you don't have to break contact. Same thing with skinning and the SpydieChef allows you to do this using the entire cutting edge very effectively.

So food prep? Yessss :D
Last edited by skeeg11 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this is one of the spydies i still need in my collection.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’ve got one, it’s a model I bought twice because I sold it like an idiot. Like everything else that’s different or new to you… it’s something you just have to carry and use for a while and it’ll all become second nature.

Summary: I own one, I like it lots, it’s great for “edc” or anything you need a knife for and it’s the one in your pocket….
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Thanks for the helpful replies and suggestions. I agree that with a new knife/style you just have to carry it... So I think that's what I'll do. It does strike me that the blade shape means I will be using less of the tip and much more of the belly with common use. But I appreciate the suggestions about carry and grip, so thank you!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

captnvegtble wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:56 am
It does strike me that the blade shape means I will be using less of the tip and much more of the belly with common use.
Not necessarily. Forefinger extended along the spine with thumb on the side of the blade offers excellent tip control.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:23 am
captnvegtble wrote:
It does strike me that the blade shape means I will be using less of the tip and much more of the belly with common use.
Not necessarily. Forefinger extended along the spine with thumb on the side of the blade offers excellent tip control.
True, but then you have to bend your wrist at a more un-comfortable/un-natural angle, no? Maybe something you just need to get used to?
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

captnvegtble wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:32 am
skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:23 am
captnvegtble wrote:
True, but then you have to bend your wrist at a more un-comfortable/un-natural angle, no? Maybe something you just need to get used to?
Actually, doing so reduces the positive blade angle.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

I have had one since they first came out. I wish it were bigger... But still it's a great knife and I have carried it a lot. It's not a "heavy duty" knife like a pm2 but for me it's good for at least 90% of the things I do with an EDC. The steel gets so sharp so easy. And it's thin behind the edge.

I second the comment regarding the use of a spydiechef as a skinner. It's incredible in that role.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Love it for EDC. Thin, good handle, no choil (maximum edge length), good steel (no worries about rust and I basically can just literally wash the knife under running water after every messy use)...what's not to like?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Thank you all for your comments. Certainly lots to love about this knife, and I will just have to carry it more to adapt to the different blade angle.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Matt Deaner wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:54 am
It's not a "heavy duty" knife like a pm2 but for me it's good for at least 90% of the things I do with an EDC.

I think this is the main take away.

It's not a knife that you want to beat on or cut through 1/2" rope with all day (especially with the neutral/positive blade angle) but the tall, thin grind make it an exceptional cutting tool. Pinch grip is a great hand position and so is the precision grip that Karl mentioned. It's a unique EDC knife in so many ways, I honestly don't carry mine enough...it's not going anywhere though.
So it goes.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Now it's a better edc
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

That's cool mod!! Very well done!!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:43 pm
Now it's a better edc
OUCH!!! That's gonna poke a lot of holes in the hide while skinning. ;)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

As much as I like my SpydieChef, I no longer pocket it.

The chores to which I typically put a carried Spydie almost always call for the mechanical advantage of a negative blade-angle.

My SpydieChef has pride of place in the galley of my camper-van, or, when the scenery and weather beckon, on the cutting board just outside.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”