eBay is crazy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
poolhustler

Re: eBay is crazy

Post by poolhustler »

eBay can be insane...... a few months ago i listed a Kershaw Leek 1660VIBST which was used and no box. I expected to get around $120 for and it sold for $477. I ended up send another Leek along as a gift I felt so bad.....
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

eBay is crazy. It’s the Wild West.

I have sold quite a few knives, always just no reserve auctions, and have been shocked at what I have sold some of them for. It doesn’t always go that way but if it is a desirable knife it’s possible.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:56 pm
I might have to bend over for one of the Z-Max Mules I missed.
Bend over is right, I priced mules on eBay last night, this thread is depressing, as seems like every thing on my wishlist gets snapped up and flipped @ $150 +++ over release price :confused: :mad:
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Accutron wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:06 pm
Buy Now prices on unsold items are completely irrelevant.
You learn very quickly when you are buying on the used market that an asking price may have no bearing on what an item is really worth.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:04 pm
eBay is crazy. It’s the Wild West.

I have sold quite a few knives, always just no reserve auctions, and have been shocked at what I have sold some of them for. It doesn’t always go that way but if it is a desirable knife it’s possible.
Yes I have been quite surprised at what some of my listings have sold for, I usually list no reserve also. I find its best when you let the market decide what its worth. So far this strategy hasn't let me down.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:59 pm
I'd rather get a custom made before I'd pay a flipper. Custom makers = good, flippers = blech.
That's how I felt about GEC - if I'm paying that much, I might as well put in a few more dollars and get a custom.

The point of sprints, mules, and exclusives was to get lesser used steels out... Not foreseeing people using them as hard when they're "collector's" pieces
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Used regular Spyderco are holding value too. I'm not sure if I am a end user, collector or flipper. Ebay has funded a few knives and has also been the cause of poor life choices!
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Accutron wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:06 pm
Buy Now prices on unsold items are completely irrelevant.

Anything that doesn't have to do with elephants is irrelephant.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Mrj wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:58 pm
The high "buy it now" price is often an attention grabber, or just a lets see if someone will....
But what’s counter offer on 1200 para 3?
[/quote]

If they start high, you start low? Offer 150.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Snacktime wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:23 pm
Used regular Spyderco are holding value too. I'm not sure if I am a end user, collector or flipper. Ebay has funded a few knives and has also been the cause of poor life choices!
I wanted to pick up some used spydercos to practice sharpening on... Not worth it at the prices they go for
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

MRj “Weak things break!”
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Love it when people try to inflate prices of readily available knives
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Hope this doesn't sound off-topic:

While good quality (i.e. Spyderco; but anything better than Tac Force/M-Tech/Frost for that matter; the latter three I find often) modern tactical knives are rare around here (but decent traditional folders kinda common), I recently decided to cut back on my spending by cutting back on online shopping (esp. eBay; the cause of 99.5 percent of my impulse purchasing) and hitting up more local "junk stores", thrift shops, and "collectibles" stores to do my shopping for knives, old US-made tools, and diecast cars (and the other assorted stuff I buy for no reason--like 3 3/4" and 12" action figures).

I know there is an eBay seller located in a nearby town (actually VERY close to where the flea market is held) that buys the cheap good stuff from the flea market and then flips. Seen many a knife that I KNOW was one from a flea market seller's table; back when I was still going to flea markets regularly. The flea market was on Monday, items always listed Tuesday. Because it's on Monday, on the other end of the county almost, and parking was awful it never works out for me. They recently moved it indoors to a former "Magic Mart" (small regional chain we had here, closed when the 3rd generation owner retired in 2018--and I don't blame him--he was in his nineties!) that is ten minutes closer (used to be held on the grounds of a livestock market in the middle of nowhere), has the parking of the entire strip mall (and there's a collectibles retailer and a consignment store--so three stores in one small area) and it's open all week. Part of my mentality is "Cutting Out the Middleman".
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

I was going to say: "but it didn't sell", clicks link, "Well I'll be damned".

It all started in a land before time... On the real if I'm not mistaken this was the first run that REC did in this combination.
It's also one of the first PVD coated Spydercos, and it sold out in SECONDS. I don't think I've ever seen an exclusive go as quickly as this one did. The only thing I could compare it to, maybe, was the recent BladeHQ exclusive PM2 Tanto drops... but even those are not selling for a grand. :confused:
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

$1200 sounds like a deal. Besides, it’s free shipping.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've always said I don't sell knives because a lot of mine are used and I won't sell them cheap and lose so much money on them, but maybe with people seemingly desperate to buy some knives I'll give it some more thought.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
robis1923

Post by robis1923 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:23 pm
I've always said I don't sell knives because a lot of mine are used and I won't sell them cheap and lose so much money on them, but maybe with people seemingly desperate to buy some knives I'll give it some more thought.
I like Spyderco seconds for this reason. I can use and play with them and not feel bad about resale if I flip them.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Param ... 890.l49286
These are still in stock and it’s already being poached on eBay. Lol
MRj “Weak things break!”
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

MRj “Weak things break!”
kobold

Post by kobold »

Mrj wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:01 pm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Delic ... 890.l49286
And the madness never ends.

Seller: no.nonsense.shopping
:rolleyes:
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10