SMKW Spyderco Exclusive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

Re: SMKW Spyderco Exclusive?

Post by Popsickle »

What’s the grip texture like on the CF?
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

jdw wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:57 pm
lilshaver wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:03 pm
I did not attempt to get one the first go around, but did put an order in about 10:45 CT for this one. Of all the Spidies I have I did not have a PM2 and just had to try this one. Have been waiting for the PM2 in cru-wear for some time now and got impatient I guess.
I think that you made a great choice. I am probably in the minority but I prefer M4 to Cruwear. I hope that your new knife serves you well!
Thanks jdw. I didn't see how I was going to go wrong here plus the cruwear is still on order.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

jdw wrote:
lilshaver wrote:
I did not attempt to get one the first go around, but did put an order in about 10:45 CT for this one. Of all the Spidies I have I did not have a PM2 and just had to try this one. Have been waiting for the PM2 in cru-wear for some time now and got impatient I guess.
I think that you made a great choice. I am probably in the minority but I prefer M4 to Cruwear. I hope that your new knife serves you well!
That makes two of us, I also prefer M4 as well. This knife has been tempting me, I think the scales are pretty cool and obviously love M4...I just don't really care for the PM2. Hoping they come out with this in a Manix!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:43 am
jdw wrote:
lilshaver wrote:
That makes two of us, I also prefer M4 as well. This knife has been tempting me, I think the scales are pretty cool and obviously love M4...I just don't really care for the PM2. Hoping they come out with this in a Manix!
That is a nice thought. I just hope SMKW has it also.
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

I would like to see this scale be released in the Smock...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

sn0wman72 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:41 am
I would like to see this scale be released in the Smock...
sharpdressedknives.com

Most are out of stock at the moment, but they do carry scales similar to these.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Mrj wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:23 am
crazywednesday wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:15 am
What is "Fat Carbon Fiber"?

Justin
https://youtu.be/mvPbBO43Au4
Watch he explains it here.@4:57
Got it. Thanks!
Justin
JBuzzard

Post by JBuzzard »

I bought this one in DLC, which was my first and only m4 blade. Pondering this one, can some of the experts enlighten me about m4 and corrosion with that satin blade?
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

JBuzzard wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:05 pm
I bought this one in DLC, which was my first and only m4 blade. Pondering this one, can some of the experts enlighten me about m4 and corrosion with that satin blade?
It will rust. My recommendation is just cut anything and everything to help it develop a patina. That will help protect the blade. I forced one on my
Old m4 gayle Bradley 1
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I just went to Smoky Mountain knife works, and purchased one in person. The carbon fiber on these is not done justice through pictures, and is amazing in person. They had a huge event going on with a ton of people there With blade sports, Balisong competitions, and more.

On a sidenote, they said they had maybe 30 left online, and reserved 50 specifically to have for sale in person for the event. Happy I was able to choose one that I liked.
JBuzzard

Post by JBuzzard »

Popsickle wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:22 pm
I just went to Smoky Mountain knife works, and purchased one in person. The carbon fiber on these is not done justice through pictures, and is amazing in person. They had a huge event going on with a ton of people there With blade sports, Balisong competitions, and more.

On a sidenote, they said they had maybe 30 left online, and reserved 50 specifically to have for sale in person for the event. Happy I was able to choose one that I liked.
Congrats on picking one up. I went by on Friday and grabbed one. I agree with you the scales are amazing and it was nice to have the opportunity to look through and pick the exact knife I wanted.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Popsickle wrote:

Dang. Your post pushed me off the fence on this one. I am not a big PM2 fan but the combo of the scales with uncoated M4 was too much for me to resist. I also would prefer a Manix in this combo if anyone from SMKW is out there listening?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

jdw wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:08 pm
Popsickle wrote:

Dang. Your post pushed me off the fence on this one. I am not a big PM2 fan but the combo of the scales with uncoated M4 was too much for me to resist. I also would prefer a Manix in this combo if anyone from SMKW is out there listening?

Happy to help 😆. The major thing I noticed is no two are exactly the same with this CF. I opted for one with a nice mix of the pattern vs one I handled that had a lot of the teal
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Just bought mine online and I am very excited to get it. This is my first PM2 and my 29th Spyderco knife.

I had priorly preordered the PM2 “CruCarta” when knifecenter put up the pre-order and this was to be the next one in line. Somehow I thought it was Nov 14th when they dropped so when I saw the video go up I was surprised but I knew it had happened already.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
dtyndall

Post by dtyndall »

Looks like it finally sold out.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

dtyndall wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:01 am
Looks like it finally sold out.
Que the secondary flippers
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Received my PM2 SMKW knife with the winter CF handle this weekend. This is my first PM2 and it was very much as I expected. Design and workmanship are first rate. And then there is the CF handle. It is quite handsome, much more so than the pictures can show. But the feel in my hand left me rather cold. It is lacking texture and is too slick. My Chief in S90V with a CF handle has texture for grip. Guess you could say my gripe is no grip. This may just be me and my utilitarian nature though. Would be interested in what you all think about it.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Got home and put mine in hand. Lilshaver, it is definitely smooth. I will give it some time, as I have a few knives that I thought would not be good for the same reason, but after some time and use they work really well for me.

It is a beautiful knife. Action needs to be broken in, otherwise it is perfection as usual.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Popsickle wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:43 pm
What’s the grip texture like on the CF?
I would describe them as chalky. They aren't slick, IMO.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Mine came today. Chalky is a good description. It's smooth but not polished smooth. The silver shimmering black is pretty sweet!

•• Beau