Was the Harpy Discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderman91

Was the Harpy Discontinued?

Post by Spyderman91 »

Hey everyone and good evening,

So 2021 is well underway and I noticed, or perhaps missed the 2020 discontinued list. I've been eyeballing the Harpy for sometime, but now that I'm ready to pull the trigger... I can't find one in stock anywhere, and some sites are saying "discontinued"!

How about you folks did you see a discontinued list from last year, or know if the Harpy was formally discontinued?
VooDooChild

Re: Was the Harpy Discontinued?

Post by VooDooChild »

Its still in the catalog, so its not discontinued.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I couldn't imagine that Spyderco would discontinue the HARPY model. It's one of their long time iconic, flagship models.

Especially when Hawkbill blades and full SE blades are starting to gain momentum in the past 2 years. But I was also surprised when they shelved the SPYDERHAWK.

I hope this doesn't happen. Because I'll have to get a plane ticket and show up to immediately protest the HARPY being deleted in front the GOLDEN, CO USA facility :D

Please I want anyone from the Great Spyder Factory to "Say It Ain't So" :rolleyes:
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Thank you guys,

I was about to bite the bullet and just cope one at a higher price....
but knowing they aren't gone completely will allow me to be patient.
I own the Matriarch 2 and really enjoy that blade. I feel like the Harpy would be the logical next step.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The Harpy is a great knife. If you like the FRN handles (they are grippier and lighter than the SS Harpy), check out the Tasman.

I still want a PE Harpy but I have a Spyderhawk, Superhawk, Crossbill, Meadowlark Hawkbill, waved Matriarch 2 and Civilian so my itch is at least partially scratched. I should have bought more Spyderhawks as I gave away both of my yellow H1 models (still have an orange one but I'd love to have a backup or two so I wasn't nervous about maybe messing mine up more).
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:17 am
I couldn't imagine that Spyderco would discontinue the HARPY model. It's one of their long time iconic, flagship models.
I can imagine it. It’s a niche blade shape. What other major knife company makes a hawkbill? How profitable can that knife be?

Lots of Harpies on eBay I’m sure. Just snag a used one.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I own two SS SE Harpies, one in ATS-55 and the other in VG-10. Excellent design. While many might think of the Tasman Salt as just an FRN-handled Harpy, they are not exactly the same, other than both having hawkbill blades. The Harpy’s blade is thicker, a bit shorter, and is more ruggedly-built than the Tasman’s.

Jim
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:13 pm

So 2021 is well underway and I noticed, or perhaps missed the 2020 discontinued list. I've been eyeballing the Harpy for sometime, but now that I'm ready to pull the trigger... I can't find one in stock anywhere, and some sites are saying "discontinued"!

How about you folks did you see a discontinued list from last year, or know if the Harpy was formally discontinued?
Hey, Spyderman91:
The Harpy is not discontinued, just back-ordered. ;)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I pm'd you a few leads. Let me know if you grabbed one. :)
•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

defenestrate wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:20 pm
The Harpy is a great knife. If you like the FRN handles (they are grippier and lighter than the SS Harpy), check out the Tasman.

I still want a PE Harpy but I have a Spyderhawk, Superhawk, Crossbill, Meadowlark Hawkbill, waved Matriarch 2 and Civilian so my itch is at least partially scratched. I should have bought more Spyderhawks as I gave away both of my yellow H1 models (still have an orange one but I'd love to have a backup or two so I wasn't nervous about maybe messing mine up more).
The TASMAN is a great recommendation in full SE. I would second that recommendation myself but not in plain edge.

Another model to consider is the old MERLIN Hawkbill model. If you can find one of them in ATS-55 or VG-10 jump on it immediately. I really miss the MERLIN model being around. The MERLIN is a lot like the TASMAN except it uses conventional, carbon based blade steels rather than those Nitrogen based blade steels that they use on the TASMAN model ( mostly H-1).

Also do not pass up a Spyderhawk if you can nail one for a reasonable price. I'm going to keep the pressure on Spyderco to eventually bring back the SPYDERHAWK in both types of blade steel.

However the HARPY, MERLIN and TASMAN are all great units for your first Hawkbill folder. You really can't go wrong with anything in that size range.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:38 pm
Spyderman91 wrote:

Hey, Spyderman91:

Kristi
Hey Tazkristi!! :) Be sure you all order some of the older G-10 handled Harpy models if you can :D

I know in my gut that a G-10 HARPY will be great the second time around if it ever gets the chance. Thanks for all you do on the Forum ;)

I wouldn't even mind if they did a second run of those Carbon Fiber Harpy models from the 2005 era.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:20 pm
The TASMAN is a great recommendation in full SE. I would second that recommendation myself but not in plain edge.

Another model to consider is the old MERLIN Hawkbill model. If you can find one of them in ATS-55 or VG-10 jump on it immediately. I really miss the MERLIN model being around. The MERLIN is a lot like the TASMAN except it uses conventional, carbon based blade steels rather than those Nitrogen based blade steels that they use on the TASMAN model ( mostly H-1).

Also do not pass up a Spyderhawk if you can nail one for a reasonable price. I'm going to keep the pressure on Spyderco to eventually bring back the SPYDERHAWK in both types of blade steel.

However the HARPY, MERLIN and TASMAN are all great units for your first Hawkbill folder. You really can't go wrong with anything in that size range.
My second Spyderco and favorite for years was an ATS-55 Merlin SE. It got stolen or lost (more likely stolen) but I found a Merlin on Ebay earlier this year. Original integrated FRN clip, AUS-8 (says AUS-8A on the handle), pristine shape, still in the original box. For 67 bucks I couldn't pass it up.

I still don't have a Tasman but I'm thinking of getting one or 2 just because I love hawkbills, spydie serrated hawkbills in particular but I might get a PE and an SE especially if I find them discounted.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:23 pm
TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:38 pm
Spyderman91 wrote:

Hey, Spyderman91:

Kristi
Hey Tazkristi!! :) Be sure you all order some of the older G-10 handled Harpy models if you can :D

I know in my gut that a G-10 HARPY will be great the second time around if it ever gets the chance. Thanks for all you do on the Forum ;)

I wouldn't even mind if they did a second run of those Carbon Fiber Harpy models from the 2005 era.
I also think a G-10 Harpy run would be well recieved.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Hmm. PE Tasman in LC200N, anyone?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

defenestrate wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:12 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:20 pm

My second Spyderco and favorite for years was an ATS-55 Merlin SE. It got stolen or lost (more likely stolen) but I found a Merlin on Ebay earlier this year. Original integrated FRN clip, AUS-8 (says AUS-8A on the handle), pristine shape, still in the original box. For 67 bucks I couldn't pass it up.

I still don't have a Tasman but I'm thinking of getting one or 2 just because I love hawkbills, spydie serrated hawkbills in particular but I might get a PE and an SE especially if I find them discounted.
Wow!!! This is news to me. The only Merlin models I've ever owned have been ATS-55 and VG-10. But I can see how it's possible because the Merlin was around during the AUS-8 era. They made the Catcherman in AUS-8 all the way up till the late 90s so that fits. And I thought I had every Hawkbill Spyderco ever made. Thanks for the update DEF :)

Yeah I think that's also about the same time that the Caly Jr was made in AUS-8 as well. It really blows me away that when the G-10 Harpy was in the main line up during that ATS-55 era it's sales were dismal. And for the life of me I can't figure that one out at all. But as popular as G-10 handles are now I think it would be a great move for Spyderco to bring them back.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy a Salt Harpy with a FRN handle. I know that's basically a Tasman but I really prefer the grip shape of the Harpy over the Delica style grip of the Tasman. It's a small but important difference for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:47 am
I'd buy a Salt Harpy with a FRN handle. I know that's basically a Tasman but I really prefer the grip shape of the Harpy over the Delica style grip of the Tasman. It's a small but important difference for me.
I remember back when they first launched the TASMAN in H-1 ( 2005 time frame). To me it just seemed like another one of the Merlin models with rustproof steel. I really loved the Merlin as a companion blade. The Merlin in SE was great for most all of my SE cutting chores. But the G-10 Harpy I liked a bit better because those Harpy models were always a bit more rigid and had a somewhat thicker blade. I can see why the Harpy has been so popular in commercial fishing jobs.

But for gardening type chores you can't hardly beat the Spyderhawk>> the extra size makes a huge difference.