M4 Native Chief - Impressions, reviews, etc.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: M4 Native Chief - Impressions, reviews, etc.

Post by ChrisinHove »

It’s a shame this variant will probably mostly end up as collectibles - my M4 Native5 is a fantastic work knife.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:57 am
It’s a shame this variant will probably mostly end up as collectibles - my M4 Native5 is a fantastic work knife.
It really is. Those folks are missing out. M4 isn't really all that common and a great steel for doing work, especially with this particular knife with all that cutting edge. I also really like the jade scales with DLC. This setup has always appealed to me.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It is a shame that we can't get M4 from another company. BHQ's lax credit card security and lack of alternate payment methods makes them a poor choice vendor for me. The recent major breech of their website has had seemingly little impact on their security stance.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

attila wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:28 pm
I’m fascinated that my Rex 45 Chief has perfectly even & flush back spacer and lock bar, but the BHQ M4 Chief has not even a millimeter of flushness with the scales.

Im guessing that either the scales were made too big, the back spacer & lock bar were both made too small, or the scale screw/blade stop holes in the scales were drilled off by a bit.

I disassembled it and adjusted the scales as best I could, but they’re still a bit off along the entire backside of the knife.

It’s disappointing to have paid $192 and still find basic construction flaws.
Agreed. I was a little disappointed to see and feel the difference between g10 and back spacer.

The s90v is also perfect. Don’t have cutlery shoppe exclusive to compare sprints vs exclusives.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Since it is overlooked, I found the post I referenced further back:
Michael Janich wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 7:30 am
Dear Boar-Gen:

One of the necessary compromises that comes with black coatings is that adjoining parts can't be finished together. In the case of the satin-finished Karahawk, the G-10 ring spacer is installed and THEN the back of the handle and interior of the ring are sanded so everything is perfectly flush. This is impossible with the TiCN-coated liners because sanding would remove the coating.

We are constantly looking for ways to improve our products and will definitely take your comments into consideration to see if there's a practical way to tighten the tolerances on the ring fit of black Karahawks.

Thank you for your feedback!

Stay safe,

Mike
I'm pretty certain this is the same issue with the coated NC M4.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I broke down and ordered one even though I wasn't happy with BHQ's lax security. Used my AMEX just in case.
Mine arrived last week and the backspacer is perfectly flush with the scales.
She's a little tight on the pivot but that will ease with use.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

ChrisinHove wrote: It’s a shame this variant will probably mostly end up as collectibles - my M4 Native5 is a fantastic work knife.
Have to admit ... "this one is addictive!"
Attachments
IMG_2545 (2).JPG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

My M4 Chief arrived today and the blade is as beautiful as I imagined. The rest of the knife could be better. The scales stand about 1mm proud of the backspacer. The fit and finish on my S30V chief is outstanding with the backspacer perfectly flush with the scales. The jade scales are also about .5mm thicker than the scales on the stock model and the screw holes seem to be milled a little deeper so all of the screws are recessed a bit into the scales.

I’ve compared the scales on the stock model to the M4 and I think it may be that the screw holes are not located in the right position on the backspacer.

If I wasn’t in Canada I’d send it to the mothership for an overhaul no question. What do you guys think?
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Theldraskien wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:21 am
My M4 Chief arrived today and the blade is as beautiful as I imagined. The rest of the knife could be better. The scales stand about 1mm proud of the backspacer. The fit and finish on my S30V chief is outstanding with the backspacer perfectly flush with the scales. The jade scales are also about .5mm thicker than the scales on the stock model and the screw holes seem to be milled a little deeper so all of the screws are recessed a bit into the scales.

I’ve compared the scales on the stock model to the M4 and I think it may be that the screw holes are not located in the right position on the backspacer.

If I wasn’t in Canada I’d send it to the mothership for an overhaul no question. What do you guys think?

1mm sounds like a lot. I'd send it in, I guess... I might be wrong but somehow it seems to me those sprint runs are getting kind of sloppy.
I didn't send in my Rex45 Chief (spring stands proud of the backspacer when opened) because I'm in Europe, so I can relate to your reluctance.

On the other hand if people just complain online, QC has no reason to get better, I'm afraid... :(
notorious fidgeteer
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think those are pretty ticky tacky things. Things I personally have never checked for. As long as the knife opens and closes properly, has a strong and safe lock up...good to go.

-Rick
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

I didn’t really inspect it closely at first, it just felt “weird” compared the my other Chief, which I’ve carried a lot recently. It’s just a shame that the fit and finish is so much better on the stock. Maybe I’ll try doing a scale swap to figure out where the problem is. I’d kind of had in mind to make a fully blacked out chief anyways. I’ll report back.
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

It’s the backspacer. It seems like it was ground down about 1mm more than it should have been. The satin backspacer fits perfectly in the jade scales. Seems like a QC issue to me for sure.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Theldraskien wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:32 am
It’s the backspacer. It seems like it was ground down about 1mm more than it should have been. The satin backspacer fits perfectly in the jade scales. Seems like a QC issue to me for sure.
At least you figured it out! Gives you some piece of mind, though annoying for sure now that you know the issue!

-Rick
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

The action on mine is still pretty horrible. The most difficult Spydie I own to thumb roll.
I took it apart to check the washers for burrs and debris.
The only thing I can figure is the coating on the lock bar where it makes contact with the blade is a hair proud. I may have to sand it with some 1000 grit paper.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Superflex wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:12 am
The action on mine is still pretty horrible. The most difficult Spydie I own to thumb roll.
The only thing I can figure is the coating on the lock bar where it makes contact with the blade is a hair proud. I may have to sand it with some 1000 grit paper.

My M4 Chief started out with the normal drag from the coated parts. After about a week of carrying it, it all of a sudden became super crunchy and stiff to open. I didn't take it apart. I soaked it with penetrating lube and opened and closed it a bunch. It still has some DLC drag and needs to break in more but it feels a little smoother than new. I guess what I'm trying to say is... If you haven't already, try cleaning and lubing it before you go sanding stuff. :)
•• Beau
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:31 am
Superflex wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:12 am

My M4 Chief started out with the normal drag from the coated parts. After about a week of carrying it, it all of a sudden became super crunchy and stiff to open. I didn't take it apart. I soaked it with penetrating lube and opened and closed it a bunch. It still has some DLC drag and needs to break in more but it feels a little smoother than new. I guess what I'm trying to say is... If you haven't already, try cleaning and lubing it before you go sanding stuff. :)
I did try to lube it first with silicone oil and it got worse/sticky. That's when I took it apart and cleaned/lubed the action and lapped the washers.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I’ve never found silicone oils to be good lubricants. I’d try something else and see if you see better action.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:05 pm
I’ve never found silicone oils to be good lubricants. I’d try something else and see if you see better action.
Bingo,
I disassembled the knife, cleaned the silicone oil and relubricated with M7 Pro gun oil and reassembled. Still not great until I put a drop between the blade and lockbar. Now it's much better.
Thanks JR
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Superflex wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:24 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:05 pm
Bingo,
I disassembled the knife, cleaned the silicone oil and relubricated with M7 Pro gun oil and reassembled. Still not great until I put a drop between the blade and lockbar. Now it's much better.
Thanks JR
Great! I've found a good oil on the rounded tang portion of the blade & lock bar to really help on my back locks.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I was short cash and did not even try to get the M4 Native Chief. In another month or two I might try to get one. Hopefully I can find one that is unused.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/