M4 Native Chief - Impressions, reviews, etc.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
attila

Re: M4 Native Chief - Impressions, reviews, etc.

Post by attila »

I’m fascinated that my Rex 45 Chief has perfectly even & flush back spacer and lock bar, but the BHQ M4 Chief has not even a millimeter of flushness with the scales.

Im guessing that either the scales were made too big, the back spacer & lock bar were both made too small, or the scale screw/blade stop holes in the scales were drilled off by a bit.

I disassembled it and adjusted the scales as best I could, but they’re still a bit off along the entire backside of the knife.

It’s disappointing to have paid $192 and still find basic construction flaws.

On a positive note, the DLC is the smoothest I’ve had, and the blade grinds are well done.

If I can snag a SNK Chief, I’ll have a heck of a time deciding which of these 3 Chief models to keep!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The answer is all of them attila!! I've run in the same problem with Shaman's!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
attila

Post by attila »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:31 pm
Rick,

I’m pretty sure that the shaman is like that by design.

I think they changed something (CNC programming, etc.?) between the Rex 45 and this M4 Chief. I’m not swapping parts to find out, but is interesting to me.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

attila wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:51 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:31 pm
Rick,

I’m pretty sure that the shaman is like that by design.

I think they changed something (CNC programming, etc.?) between the Rex 45 and this M4 Chief. I’m not swapping parts to find out, but is interesting to me.
Oops, I should have been more clear...I was referring to the debating what to keep part of your post.

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Michael Janich said, wayback on a thread about the DLC coated karambit, that the factory could not do the final shaping because it would sand off or damage the DLC. I suspect that is the case here with the M4 Chief’s backspacer.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

Seeing a bit of spotting after being carried IWB for a couple of hikes in the summer heat.

May try oiling the blade after I clean it up. I plan to carry it a lot over the next few months.

Also managed to drop it :rolleyes: not like me. I usually never drop my knives, flashlights etc. Scuffed the G10 up a bit but luckily it was closed so no blade damage.

Oh well, it is a user.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:22 pm
prndltech wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:09 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:27 pm
I'm not normally one that prefers long folders, but I have to agree with both of you. It's really a great design that hides it's size well while carrying it in pocket, and seems like it has an endless amount of edge with a fairly thin blade stock and tip.
Rick, no secret that I prefer long bladed folders and also no secret that I really like your "real use reports" combined with your obvious skills and knowledge concerning aharpening.

There are of course others in the same ballpark (op Vivi for example), but what I particularely like in your reports are the somewhat "controlled" conditions: You obviously to a large part use your folders frequently in the same setting and the same tasks (in your job), which allows for a better comparing of different models, steels and so on

Now: How does the Chief work for you so far compared to shorter (bladed) folders? While I generally think that long bladed folders are more versatile and capable for all around EDC, I could imagine that for your particular work setting an a bit shorter blade perhaps could be better suited and a bit easier and more natural to use? How do you feel about this?

Also: Do you notice any better edge retention with the long Chief edge? Generally long edges tend to have better edge holding, just because each or at least many part(s) of the edge has less contact with matter that gets cut as it would be with a shorter edge in the exact same task.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:13 pm
M4 Native Chiefs are arriving today. ....

Vivi and others,

The tip of the Chief looks to be really very useful and capable for most "tip tasks" - but how fragile (or not) is it really on the other hand? For example compared to a Millie tip? (Also extremely capable but I was always a bit worried about potentially snapping it off, while not so on my Enduras for example).

/ Anyway, what I am really hoping for is a REX 45 version (and if possible not a sprint...) of the lightweight Chief, similarly to my Rex45 burnt orange Manix 2 lightweight... :rolleyes:
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:23 am
vivi wrote:

Vivi and others,

The tip of the Chief looks to be really very useful and capable for most "tip tasks" - but how fragile (or not) is it really on the other hand? For example compared to a Millie tip? (Also extremely capable but I was always a bit worried about potentially snapping it off, while not so on my Enduras for example).

/ Anyway, what I am really hoping for is a REX 45 version (and if possible not a sprint...) of the lightweight Chief, similarly to my Rex45 burnt orange Manix 2 lightweight... :rolleyes:
I've never broken a knife tip on accident so I may not be the best to ask. It's thin but I'm not worried about it. Your SE Salt 2 should have a thinner tip. My LC200N SE Pacific Salt has a thinner tip than my Chiefs.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:37 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:23 am
vivi wrote:

Vivi and others,

I've never broken a knife tip on accident so I may not be the best to ask. It's thin but I'm not worried about it. Your SE Salt 2 should have a thinner tip. My LC200N SE Pacific Salt has a thinner tip than my Chiefs.

Thanks! :)

Yes, the SE ffg Spydies have pretty thin tips indeed, due to the chisel grind that extends towards the very tip (I snapped off the last bit of my Endela SE ffg tip - not much of it, but had to reprofile it)

I'll have to get a Chief LW as soon as available... i can totally live with or even like the choil on this model, since still so much actual cutting edge is left..
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:35 pm
Seeing a bit of spotting after being carried IWB for a couple of hikes in the summer heat.

May try oiling the blade after I clean it up. I plan to carry it a lot over the next few months.

Also managed to drop it :rolleyes: not like me. I usually never drop my knives, flashlights etc. Scuffed the G10 up a bit but luckily it was closed so no blade damage.

Oh well, it is a user.

Ha, vi, I have the same scuff, on almost the same spot, on my jade G10 from a fall. :D Funny because like you, I usually never drop any of my knives, but this particular one took a nasty fall. Good thing everything seemed all right except for the scuff like yours.

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
kobold

Post by kobold »

My impression is that I would like one. :rolleyes:
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

kobold wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:47 am
My impression is that I would like one. :rolleyes:

Easy (not on your wallet, of course)... right now there are nine, correction: ten flippers on ebay working hard.
notorious fidgeteer
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:14 am
Rick, no secret that I prefer long bladed folders and also no secret that I really like your "real use reports" combined with your obvious skills and knowledge concerning aharpening.

There are of course others in the same ballpark (op Vivi for example), but what I particularely like in your reports are the somewhat "controlled" conditions: You obviously to a large part use your folders frequently in the same setting and the same tasks (in your job), which allows for a better comparing of different models, steels and so on

Now: How does the Chief work for you so far compared to shorter (bladed) folders? While I generally think that long bladed folders are more versatile and capable for all around EDC, I could imagine that for your particular work setting an a bit shorter blade perhaps could be better suited and a bit easier and more natural to use? How do you feel about this?

Also: Do you notice any better edge retention with the long Chief edge? Generally long edges tend to have better edge holding, just because each or at least many part(s) of the edge has less contact with matter that gets cut as it would be with a shorter edge in the exact same task.
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I do feel fortunate to be able to use my knives quite frequently because of my job. I also agree that it probably has helped me over the years in figuring out what steels, models, etc work best for me and help with answering some questions about those that other members may have.

Again, you are absolutely right here. Typically shorter blades are actually better for my type of work. A long cutting edge has really never been necessary for me, which I why I have always gravitated towards the other models you see me typically carry and post about. But, I have to say that Chief really does feel small for it's size, it's odd haha. I got it thinking it would be similar to the Military because of the size, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Completely different knife in almost every aspect in my eyes.

Back onto your question though, these past couple weeks I haven't found any time I've felt the Chief has been too big or long for what I'm doing. Choking up really makes it easier to control feel more like a smaller knife, as well as really utilizing that awesome tip to penetrate materials to get my cuts started. I know I'm going to really enjoy my 2 examples of this knife, and it's not just feeling that way because their fairly new to me :p

I guess you could say I have noticed that, though I'm not sure if it's really retention since on just about everything I cut, I never have to utilize the entire edge so more of the knife is useful if needed, depending on what's being cut. So far it's also hard for me to tell though because both M4 and REX45 have held up wonderfully (as expected) and have only required minimal touchups so far (though they probably really didn't even need it, I just like that sticky sharp edge before going into work, unless I'm testing out a steel that's new to me that I would use all week and not sharpen/touchup until the weekend)

-Rick
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

vivi wrote:

Jeebus, you got some big hands. Making that thing look like a Native Papoose.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 am
vivi wrote:

Haha, I know right! I wouldn't want to get clobbered by one of those mits :p

Here's me mimicking his photo with my dinky hand. More like a pocket sword for me!

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:13 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:14 am
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I do feel fortunate to be able to use my knives quite frequently because of my job. I also agree that it probably has helped me over the years in figuring out what steels, models, etc work best for me and help with answering some questions about those that other members may have.

Again, you are absolutely right here. Typically shorter blades are actually better for my type of work. A long cutting edge has really never been necessary for me, which I why I have always gravitated towards the other models you see me typically carry and post about. But, I have to say that Chief really does feel small for it's size, it's odd haha. I got it thinking it would be similar to the Military because of the size, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Completely different knife in almost every aspect in my eyes.

Back onto your question though, these past couple weeks I haven't found any time I've felt the Chief has been too big or long for what I'm doing. Choking up really makes it easier to control feel more like a smaller knife, as well as really utilizing that awesome tip to penetrate materials to get my cuts started. I know I'm going to really enjoy my 2 examples of this knife, and it's not just feeling that way because their fairly new to me :p

I guess you could say I have noticed that, though I'm not sure if it's really retention since on just about everything I cut, I never have to utilize the entire edge so more of the knife is useful if needed, depending on what's being cut. So far it's also hard for me to tell though because both M4 and REX45 have held up wonderfully (as expected) and have only required minimal touchups so far (though they probably really didn't even need it, I just like that sticky sharp edge before going into work, unless I'm testing out a steel that's new to me that I would use all week and not sharpen/touchup until the weekend)
Thanks for the detailled reply! :)

It is indeed good to have you here on the forum - generally of course ;), but especially also for that pretty uniquely "controlled" conditions you obviously use your knives in and the findings you can share by that.

/ Actually, when I figure the tasks your job will require (of course I don´t know exactly, but still): A Manix could very well be my first choice for that kind of work... (so actually the model you do prefer the most ;) ): Superior grip options on an overall (including the choil) long handle; but rather short, "nimble" cutting edge; high, rather thin blade for superior cutting geometry; and last but not least "low" tip
vivi

Post by vivi »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:14 am
Ha, vi, I have the same scuff, on almost the same spot, on my jade G10 from a fall. :D Funny because like you, I usually never drop any of my knives, but this particular one took a nasty fall. Good thing everything seemed all right except for the scuff like yours.

Hah, that's basically the same spot. I managed to ding both ends of the g10 a bit but avoided the blade and clip. I'll take that luck.
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:28 am
dj moonbat wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 am
vivi wrote:

Haha, I know right! I wouldn't want to get clobbered by one of those mits :p

Here's me mimicking his photo with my dinky hand. More like a pocket sword for me!

My hands feel normal sized to me :p It's wild how much different knives look based on hand size. I have a buddy with small hands and one day I've gotta post a picture of him holding my Police, it's funny how big it looks.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Here's something I found makes a big difference for me when using the choked up grip.

Stock:

Sanding down that point where the contouring for easier thumb hole access terminates.

sanded down:

Makes a big difference for me when choked up.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

^^ I wonder if that area could be smoothened out like that and incorporated as a running change for the NC LW?

I like the way you smoothened that area. Makes it more like the Police 4 in ergos now.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet