M4 Native Chief - Impressions, reviews, etc.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: M4 Native Chief - Impressions, reviews, etc.

Post by TkoK83Spy »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:51 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:47 pm
Nice collection! Which one is your favorite?
YES.
Hahahaha, perfect answer!

If I hadn't already created a Halloween knife with my Manix, I'd be very tempted to do so with this one.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:15 pm
prndltech wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:51 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:47 pm
Nice collection! Which one is your favorite?
YES.
Hahahaha, perfect answer!

If I hadn't already created a Halloween knife with my Manix, I'd be very tempted to do so with this one.
:p

Vivi, I started using the orange cutlery shoppe exclusive first just because... no particular reason. I figured I'll beat on it for now and instead of multiples of the same knife I just have backups in different variations. at least that's where my brain went with it. :confused:

They all seem to have good fit/finish, the original bevels don't matter to me, I instantly microbevel a knife to get it in pocket, if not do a full sharpening. Most likely going to lay the angle back some and put a convex edge on it this weekend. Ive become a fan of them as of late.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Interested to see how the contouring goes. I’m thinking about the satin version once it drops, but would probably try to get some aftermarket Micarta scales for it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Nice work Vivi. The dye seems really subtle in the first few pics as the jade tone can be more/less pronounced depending on the lighting of the photos. However when placed next to the original one it really pops. I may have to try the same with some Peacock Green RIT I have laying around. Roughly how long did you have the scales submerged?

My scales are also very slightly proud of the backspacer just by the second screw. I took it apart, lubed it up, and reassembled but wasn’t able to get the edges of the scales flush with the backspacer. Really not a big deal and I’m not sure I would have noticed it if it wasn’t mentioned in this thread.

Very happy with my purchase and looking forward to putting it to use.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

That's some nice work Vivi! Agree that the Chief may be one of the best ever from Golden, CO.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Great post Vivi!! I just got into mine an hour or so ago & got the obligatory clip swap over and done, so far it looks fantastic in terms of fit and finish, the edge is exceptionally well done, after a quick peek with my loupe & a quick stropping I'm thinking this is one of the best out-of-the-box edge I've ever received from Golden, for sure in the top 10. I'm gonna kick the tires a bit and post some thoughts later this evening or in the AM. Here's an updated family photo taken just moments ago... :) :D ;)

Cheers,

John
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:22 pm
Vivi, that looks great! Of you left it in a little longer, would the scales have turned out darker? I've never used RIT dye, not sure how that all works!
It might have gotten a bit darker with time. I pulled it when it seemed to get as dark as it would. Hadn't changed the last 10-15 minutes.

They soaked for about an hour. dark green dye, 2.5 cups of hot water, 1/2 cup vinegar, tbsp liquid soap. Brought the water to a boil, then reduced heat to low and added everything else.

This is probably the best picture I've taken in terms of capturing how the shade looks in person:

:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

JMM wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:22 pm
Great post Vivi!! I just got into mine an hour or so ago & got the obligatory clip swap over and done, so far it looks fantastic in terms of fit and finish, the edge is exceptionally well done, after a quick peek with my loupe & a quick stropping I'm thinking this is one of the best out-of-the-box edge I've ever received from Golden, for sure in the top 10. I'm gonna kick the tires a bit and post some thoughts later this evening or in the AM. Here's an updated family photo taken just moments ago... :) :D ;)

Cheers,

John
Nice group! I plan to pick up the S90V version at some point.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Awesome! That's a great shot there, nice and close up. Thanks. Interested in your thoughts on the contouring after a few days of use as well. If you notice any difference from the stock scales finish or not.

-Rick
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Looks great, Vivi. I figured the green would look good but that looks even better than what I had pictured.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Nice work Vivi! I like that green a lot more than the jade!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Opened mine this morning and as said above the backspacer is a bit recessed but not enough to bother me on a user. Both of mine were a little off center toward the show side but barely. One is in my pocket now and will get a Lynch clip this evening. The other will go with my other backups in the safe. This isn’t my first M4 but it’ll be the first knife in M4 that I carry regularly.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

After using mine A LOT at work today, I decided to take it to the brown rods just to get that bite back. Is it just me, or does anybody else think M4 has a different feel on the stones? I've noticed it with my Para 3 before as well, M4 seems to bite and grab into the stone differently than other steels.

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:07 pm
After using mine A LOT at work today, I decided to take it to the brown rods just to get that bite back. Is it just me, or does anybody else think M4 has a different feel on the stones? I've noticed it with my Para 3 before as well, M4 seems to bite and grab into the stone differently than other steels.
I'm not sure if its the steel chemistry or hardness, but I notice a difference sharpening different steels too.

I did a little whittling while out on a hike and I'm really happy with the factory geometry. Its one of the only PE knives I've bought that I felt no need to reprofile to a thinner edge angle. Same with the Rex45.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Missed the M4, waiting for the 4V from St. Nicks.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:07 pm
I feel a difference with every steel I sharpen. sure, some I could probably group together as they feel similar but going from one to the next, each seems to have its own "feel on the stones"
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

I broke down a recycling bin worth of cardboard with mine today. Debating between using the brown or white rods to touch it up. Might try running a highly polished edge at 15dps until I get around to resetting the bevel to 200 grit.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I got a chance to look at the edge using a VHX digital microscope today. Very clean looking apex considering I cut a bunch of cardboard with it:

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Using just the browns on mine yesterday, after also cutting up quite a bit of cardboard and it was nice and sticky sharp again after about 10 passes on each side. You going with a high polish finish is definitely something different compared to the usual as of late. I suppose that could be fun until going back to a coarse grit. I'm pretty sure I'll never put a mirror polish on my edges, especially after discovering how great a coarse finish is with the warehouse type materials. Also, such a HUGE time saver.

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:48 pm
Using just the browns on mine yesterday, after also cutting up quite a bit of cardboard and it was nice and sticky sharp again after about 10 passes on each side. You going with a high polish finish is definitely something different compared to the usual as of late. I suppose that could be fun until going back to a coarse grit. I'm pretty sure I'll never put a mirror polish on my edges, especially after discovering how great a coarse finish is with the warehouse type materials. Also, such a HUGE time saver.
My Rex45 came ground around 13-14dps, so I figure I could apply a 15dps polished microbevel pretty quickly to play around with a more polished edge for a bit.

I like experimenting with different edge types every once in a while. Still prefer the coarse edges overall. They cut much more aggressively than polished edges.