FRN Take Over...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderman91

FRN Take Over...

Post by Spyderman91 »

Good morning Spyderheads both new and old like,

Based off the last series of product reveals from Spyderco... It seems that FRN is becoming more and more prevalent.

From a manufacturing stand point I can see this being a win for Spyderco as a whole. I wanted to get some opinions from

other users on their thoughts of more lightweight knives in the lineup. I will say personally I do enjoy the classic g10 and

stainless steel liners, but there's nothing wrong with FRN. It provides great grip without being abrasive, it can

withstand daily use / the elements, and of course it saves a few extra grams in the pocket.

What do you folks think, would you want to see more unique FRN models, or the continue conversion of g10 models to FRN?

I will conclude that if this is the route that Spyderco goes... I hope they make a CLEAR FRN to showcase the knife's beautiful

internals. ;)
Last edited by Spyderman91 on Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Re: FRN Take Over...

Post by Wartstein »

Well, more FRN for me personally has actually only advantages... imho best handle material there is (ok, Micarta is nice too...;) )

I think at least as strong as G10, a bit lighter, usually more contoured and chamfered, grippier (bidirectional texturing) but in my experience still less of a pocket shredder (since the clip lands on the smooth logo), makes folders more affordable, easier to dye, for me more harmonic, less blocky looks... I won't complain at all if Spyderco makes more FRN- and less G10 folders...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Unless you ditch the liners you are saving grams, not ounces. The weight factor is only applicable on certain models. That said, on certain models it is a significant difference. A LW Native is indeed way lighter than the g10 version with full liners for example.

It seems that the use of frn is more about reducing cost which most can get behind. I am personally not too frugal with my knife buying.

I have plenty of frn knives but most of the time in prefer g10, cf or micarta. It definitely has its place on certain models though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I can honestly say that I have never once looked at the weight of a knife before buying it. Heck, I couldn't tell you how much any of my knives weigh. I find the weight thing to be pretty ticky tacky when it comes to buying or not buying a knife. Whether I'm carrying a Dragonfly or a Shaman, I've never once thought "this knife is so light/heavy in my pocket"

I've definitely got more knives that have liners and G10, and also prefer the more stout feeling in hand that those models have. Though I do have 5 or 6 knives in frn. I don't favor them, but I also don't mind using them either. Especially the K390 Endela!

I was pleased with the newest reveal, because I really want to cut way down on my spending and enjoy the knives I've already got. All that black frn is an easy pass for me.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I am glad that most models get the frn AND g10 treatment at one point in their production lives. Look at the native 5...frn with no liners, g10 with liners, and linerless g10. That's a lot of options. I prefer g10 but would love to see more use of frn scales with the wire clip. Also can we please have more contoured frn and g10 scales
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I really like FRN for the work environment with oils and grime. Great product but definitely not a high end product. Just something that seems to be a sales trend, I can tell you I not upset.

I like the tends of FRN and Micarta, both can be done in some cool colors! Nice change from carbon fiber and G10 (would like some different patterns of G10).
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:47 am
Well, more FRN for me personally has actually only advantages... imho best handle material there is (ok, Micarta is nice too...;) )

I think at least as strong as G10, a bit lighter, usually more contoured and chamfered, grippier (bidirectional texturing) but in my experience still less of a pocket shredder (since the clip lands on the smooth logo), makes folders more affordable, easier to dye, for me more harmonic, less blocky looks... I won't complain at all if Spyderco makes more FRN- and less G10 folders...
As a point of clarity, the bolded portion is incorrect per material data from Matweb for Nylon 6/6 30% and a material cut sheet for G-10 epoxy fiberglass composite from Laminated Plastics.

Nylon 6/6 30% is a common FRN, and on the very top end of a wide range, has significantly less tensile strength (29 ksi) than G-10 (38ksi crosswise, 45ksi lengthwise). Of course design matters as well as material strength, but having both types of designs, I don't see any real strength advantage for the FRN designs.

I think FRN is mostly a manufacturing cost reduction technique, as is liner deletion. Honestly my G-10 knives with or without liners, and FRN knives with liners tend to be smoother and easier to adjust to a good balance of minimal blade play and smooth action than my linerless FRN knives. I see the utility of linerless Salt knives, but for non-salt versions, liner deletion is a cost cutting measure IMO, that needs to be accompanied by a significant price cut for me to be interested.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

I feel g10 feels better in the hand, doesn't collect dirt and grime like the FRN pattern does.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

I feel g10 feels better in the hand, also doesn't collect dirt and grime like the FRN pattern does.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:51 am
Unless you ditch the liners you are saving grams, not ounces. The weight factor is only applicable on certain models. That said, on certain models it is a significant difference. A LW Native is indeed way lighter than the g10 version with full liners for example.

Actually the current G10 version of the Native 5 is also linerless, but still about 20% "heavier" than the FRN Native (in absolute numbers though this is still not much, just 14 grams).

In the Tenacious on the other hand the weight between FRN and G10 version differs at about just 10% I think (did not look the specs of those two up though)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:47 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:51 am

Actually the current G10 version of the Native 5 is also linerless, but still about 20% "heavier" than the FRN Native (in absolute numbers though this is still not much, just 14 grams).

In the Tenacious on the other hand the weight between FRN and G10 version differs at about just 10% I think (did not look the specs of those two up though)
I am aware that it is currently linerless, that is why I specified the linered version. My point is that the removal of liners has way more impact on weight than just switching from g10 to frn. I personally do not notice a 14 gram difference in my hand or pocket. I carry at least a couple of pounds of crap around with me most days and half an ounce is nothing. Phone, wallet, keys, two knives, flashlight and a handgun all adds up. Even my belt is heavy but with that much stuff it needs to be.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think I'm in the same boat as you Darby. Always so much stuff in my pockets, that the weight of a knife added to everything else is pretty irrelevant. Plus... that's what belts are for if people are worried about weight pulling their pants down, which I find pretty much impossible. I've carried a PM2 and a Manix with athletic shorts, in the pocket. Granted it's not the best feeling with it flopping around in loose clothing like that, but I never felt like they were going to pull my shorts down and don't think I need dedicated athletic shorts knives that I've seen mentioned around here before.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Working in a ranch and marine environment, FRN is my preferred choice, lite in the pocket
No worries about liner rust, G-10 adds some $$ to the final price
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Anything to keep costs down. Unless you’re contouring the G10 like on the Shaman it’s hard to compete with FRN. Plus the color options.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'm with Rick and Darby (minus the gun). A knife being lighter / weighing less has never been something I'd call an advantage. I like the feeling of solid material in my hand. I carry multiple Spydies when I'm decently dressed and out in the (urban) wild - not once have I lost my pants due to the weight of the multiple things I have inside my pockets. ;) Multiple Spydies, keys with all kinds of crap attached to the ring, cell phone, tactical pen, a flashlight....

Jokes aside, I get that for backpackers, a weight difference is a factor. Or slimness. For me it just isn't. Moreover, I don't like how the texture of LW FRN scales feels, and it does not look appealing to me either. The "fancy" "multi-directional" super grippy FRN scales of the Endura & Native family members, of PM2/P3 and all the others is even less sexy than the rather simple texture of my Urban & UKPK. The FRN of my Meerkat looks & feels best of all of them. FRN is just plastic to me. Plastic is cheap (I know that the required tooling isn't!), and it does not match the superior rest of any proud Spyderco knife. For me, nothing beats Titanium. Or well-made Carbon Fiber. I like my first Micarta knife, my Shaman, like it alot! It's a worthy material for scales. Don't own any wooden scales knife yet. G10 is my minimum 100% satisfaction base material. I'd even take Stainless Steel handles over FRN.
Last edited by archangel on Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Different priorities for different folks and different use cases, I guess.
The weight of a folder is actually quite often a key attribute to me.
So is linerless construction.

That said, I’m kind of indifferent to the percentage of FRN models. Like some has mentioned, deleting the liner is the main contributor to keeping the weight down, beyond that, I just want the handle material and texture to be suited for my- and its intended purpose.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Seki FRN is my favorite stuff. I carry my Endelas and Enduras 99% of the time and have sold off much of my rest of my collection because I never used them. They may not be as seggsy as the Cru-carta or G10 models, but for real world carry and use they can't be beat. The only upcoming exclusive I am super excited for is tomorrow's Dragonfly! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'd like to add that I worry that at some point, Spyderco will cease to produce G10 versions of their hotsellers, especially of new designs, in order to only produce FRN knives. This would be the point where I'd need to turn my back on this otherwise great great company. I hope it will never come to that.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I don’t really care for FRN. While I understand its intended purpose, it just feels like cheap plastic to me. Also, the Golden, CO FRN is different than the Seki FRN. I much prefer the Seki texture over the Golden one. I’ve had LW Natives and Para 3s and I don’t like the texture compared to the delica or dragonfly. I don’t mind Spyderco making more LW models as long as they keep making knives with G10, carbon fiber, and titanium.

The only time I find myself using FRN knives is when I am wearing athletic shorts and I’ll carry my Salt 2 or Dragonfly.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
bearfacedkiller

In the end more options is better and Spyderco seems to offer many of their knives in both configurations. Spyderco tries to make something for everybody.
-Darby