Enuff XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Enuff XL

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:47 pm

ah... i see. well, if that's the case, maybe we should be saying what we'd most like to see.

That screenshot looks like it doesn't have any engraving at all on the blade, no logos or steel/Spyderco engraving on the tang so that's what makes me think this is still a prototype. Eric said H1 which we all know means hollow grind and that looks very flat grind to me. It does seem odd that even on a prototype they wouldn't at least do the blade grind that the knife is intended to have even if just for looks alone. Maybe they'll launch in H1 and LC, who knows.

I'm most interested in a SE Salt version, mostly because the original is an absolute tank of a little knife and it'll make for a great beater knife. I'd like to see more Salt blade shapes though, I think I'd prefer this blade shape over the sheepsfoot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:21 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

ah... i see. well, if that's the case, maybe we should be saying what we'd most like to see.

That screenshot looks like it doesn't have any engraving at all on the blade, no logos or steel/Spyderco engraving on the tang so that's what makes me think this is still a prototype. Eric said H1 which we all know means hollow grind and that looks very flat grind to me. It does seem odd that even on a prototype they wouldn't at least do the blade grind that the knife is intended to have even if just for looks alone. Maybe they'll launch in H1 and LC, who knows.

I'm most interested in a SE Salt version, mostly because the original is an absolute tank of a little knife and it'll make for a great beater knife. I'd like to see more Salt blade shapes though, I think I'd prefer this blade shape over the sheepsfoot.
I think they say in the vid that it will come in VG10 (and ffg) first. This might be the VG10 prototype.

As for "tank of a knife": I think the XL will have a thinner, 3mm blade (which is great I think) than the thicker (4mm?) blade of the original...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:27 pm
I think they say in the vid that it will come in VG10 (and ffg) first. This might be the VG10 prototype.

As for "tank of a knife": I think the XL will have a thinner, 3mm blade (which is great I think) than the thicker (4mm?) blade of the original...
Hmm... I missed that. I heard "this will be a salt." I'd be stoked on FFG and VG-10.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Yes, Sal stated early on that the stock would be thinner than the original Enuff series.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

I am hoping for a plain edge LC200N but can live with a H1 fully serrated. I also prefer the green way more than the yellow though not a deal breaker. This looks like a fantastic do it all knife as long as it is not too thin (which I am not really that worried about). Any way you cut it Spyderco keeps making things that take my money.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:27 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:21 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

If you're talking about this video which I believe is what generated this thread, there is no mention of a VG10 version coming first (or ever):

https://youtu.be/huKGr1WFMeI

The discussion on this blade is 6:28 - 8:13 and Eric says it's a salt blade, will probably have yellow scales and will be in H1.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Would like to see a tapered tang in the handle area to reduce weight, in an SPY27 or thereabouts balanced steel. (Or in Larrinite, of course.)

Happy to see the longer / thinner blade, the FRN handle, the leaf shape of the blade.

How this model got a name other than "More than Enuff," I'll never know.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Bolster wrote: Would like to see a tapered tang in the handle area to reduce weight, in an SPY27 or thereabouts balanced steel. (Or in Larrinite, of course.)

Happy to see the longer / thinner blade, the FRN handle, the leaf shape of the blade.

I will always prefer full tang.
But Im with you on the spy27 or close to it steel part.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:44 am
Bolster wrote: Would like to see a tapered tang in the handle area to reduce weight, in an SPY27 or thereabouts balanced steel. (Or in Larrinite, of course.)

Did I use the wrong term, maybe? I thought a tapered tang WAS a full tang, but just tapered for less weight toward the butt end. This is what I meant:

https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3200 ... 1435153394
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Bolster wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:44 am

Did I use the wrong term, maybe? I thought a tapered tang WAS a full tang, but just tapered for less weight toward the butt end. This is what I meant:

https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3200 ... 1435153394
My bad. I was confusing tapered tang with hidden tang, like a rat tail tang.

Youre right. A full taper would be cool and look awesome as well.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

Stoked over a larger Salt version of the Enuff

Bringing this back to the top if anyone has clarity on steel and type of edge(s). Sounds like H-1 steel and hoping there is a plain edge (H-1 or LC200N) for bushcrafting in a wet environment like canoeing.

I currently have the plain edge leaf in VG-10 of the now smaller Enuff version and love the handle. Aqua Salt (have 2 of those) is a great knife for short-use or with gloves, but handle hot spots (me at least) with prolonged use carving wood, and tip is not the best for fine work -- I believe the Enuff XL will fit that niche nicely if it has a plain edge.

Well aware of the Spyderedge cutting prowess in H-1, but outside of the Aqua Salt, ARK, and now Waterway, no other Salts have a PE which is appreciated in field sharpening and woodcraft (especially notches including sensitive deadfalls). Been tempted on the Waterway, but would prefer the just under 4" blade on Enuff XL, and the finger guard is not as pronounced as on the Waterway which has a specific purpose for the Waterway but gets in the way on a woodcraft knife. Just my thoughts, sorry for any rambling
sal

Post by sal »

I thought the "Enuff" model would serve a larger market. Stout, and a good performer. But I learned that I was wrong. The larger model has a longer blade and a thinner stock and in my testing, was a very reliable and versatile performer. Not too large or heavy, and punches above it' weight. We'll make the model in VG-10 for regular use and in H1 for more corrosive environments. We'll watch response closely and go from there.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:45 pm
I thought the "Enuff" model would serve a larger market. Stout, and a good performer. But I learned that I was wrong. The larger model has a longer blade and a thinner stock and in my testing, was a very reliable and versatile performer. Not too large or heavy, and punches above it' weight. We'll make the model in VG-10 for regular use and in H1 for more corrosive environments. We'll watch response closely and go from there.

sal
Thank you for confirming Sal, I've got the VG-10 option on my list for sure.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

sal wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:45 pm

sal
I've always looked at the Enuff and wished I had a relevant application to justify getting one. To me it seems like a great general purpose knife for salt water applications. If I spent more time around boats and salt water I would definitively get one, but most of my use is around fresh water. Lots of it. And for this kind of use, I think the new Enuff XL makes more sense.
H1 would be my choice out of the gate, but I really hope that sales are high Enuff to justify MagnaCut somewhere down the line. A well balanced steel for a well balanced knife.
donkikong

Post by donkikong »

Is there any news about a release date?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear donkikong:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
araneae

Post by araneae »

donkikong wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:43 am
Is there any news about a release date?
It's not in the reveal so it's not coming any time soon.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

Bumping this thread with the H2 news today. Tough as H1 and more corrosion resistant (if that’s possible).
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Can they do a drop point, magna cut, removable scales larger handles and 5mm stock?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I'd be happy with VG10. I hope there is no hook on the rear of the handle so it will fit my larger hands. Still, I am looking forward to this knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050