subway bowie!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
troutinCO

Re: subway bowie!

Post by troutinCO »

Pokey wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:41 pm
I picked up the satin finished one. I found that the edge bevel on this one was probably 20+ degrees per side. I used the Sharpmaker and flattened them down to 20 dps for an easier touch-up in the future.

I wondered if the ball chain would hold the sheath without breaking when you tug on the knife. The guys in the SFO said, “tug away,” and it works great.

The blade is made of pretty thick stock for such a small knife. It has a real solid feeling.

With our rainy weather lately, it’s going to be an LC200N week.
The edge on mine was similar. I threw it on my sharpener and really took it down, I like the edge I put on it.
I tested the ball chain this morning as I got curious if it would break too, no issues at all. I tried to fling the knife out of the sheath and it won't come out at all, but a gentle tug and out it comes. Perfect.
I want a satin version to compliment the black now. And it will get me another sheath to setup in a different carry method. Though I really am liking the neck carry a lot more than I thought.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

troutinCO wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:16 pm
Pokey wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:41 pm
I picked up the satin finished one. I found that the edge bevel on this one was probably 20+ degrees per side. I used the Sharpmaker and flattened them down to 20 dps for an easier touch-up in the future.

I wondered if the ball chain would hold the sheath without breaking when you tug on the knife. The guys in the SFO said, “tug away,” and it works great.

The blade is made of pretty thick stock for such a small knife. It has a real solid feeling.

With our rainy weather lately, it’s going to be an LC200N week.
The edge on mine was similar. I threw it on my sharpener and really took it down, I like the edge I put on it.
I tested the ball chain this morning as I got curious if it would break too, no issues at all. I tried to fling the knife out of the sheath and it won't come out at all, but a gentle tug and out it comes. Perfect.
I want a satin version to compliment the black now. And it will get me another sheath to setup in a different carry method. Though I really am liking the neck carry a lot more than I thought.
The ball chain is ideal for a neck knife because it’s plenty strong enough for normal neck knife usage but it also will break away with enough force applied. Opposed to paracord which is often 550 pound test and would be nearly impossible to break away safely.

The ball chain is beneficial in the case of an attack because it prevents an attacker from being able to use that necklace as a physical advantage over the victim to choke them. Or a less sinister use case could be for someone with an active lifestyle; in the case of an accident, the ball chain would be much more likely to break away without harming the wearer opposed to something like paracord.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

this is the perrin baby bowie by max knives.

how does the subway bowie compare in terms of handle length? this one is a touch under 3.5"
:unicorn
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:13 pm
this is the perrin baby bowie by max knives.

how does the subway bowie compare in terms of handle length? this one is a touch under 3.5"
About 2 3/8 for a comparable measurement on the Subway. No pic right now. :sleeping

ETA (See my pics on the previous page for some comparisons with a Jester and Mora Eldris.)
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Pic for you Vivi of the measurement. I really like this knife btw.
SUBBOW-rs2.jpg
vivi

Post by vivi »

thanks. the baby bowie is about a 3.25 finger handle for me, so the subway bowie handle definitely wouldn't have anything for my pinky to hold on to.
:unicorn
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:23 am
thanks. the baby bowie is about a 3.25 finger handle for me, so the subway bowie handle definitely wouldn't have anything for my pinky to hold on to.
Enactive wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:45 pm
Pretty cool! This thing is very compact. As with the Jester and Ladybug 2-- I like it best with 2 beads on the fob-- makes for a solid grip even with large hands.

PXL_20220816_003800160sm.jpg

The grip is comparable to a Ladybug in length but more hand filling and secure.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Compared to Manbug.
Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 12.50.25 PM.jpg
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:51 am
Compared to Manbug.

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 12.50.25 PM.jpg
that's a helpful picture. it also makes me hope for a wharncliffe version in the future even more than i already was.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:23 am

The Subway Bowie is a 2 or 2 1/2 finger knife for me. I'll eventually put the lanyard on mine.

•• Beau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The lanyard helps immensely. I need to redo the sloppy one I put on mine.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I missed this from a couple days ago.
Well played GPknives! Well played.
•• Beau
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

That's good, haha!
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Added some hockey tape to the handle. Adds a bit of texture to the handle and makes it a bit less slick.
SB MOD-c.jpg
rashman

Post by rashman »

I’m really enjoying my Subway Bowie, hazard to say it’s the best neck i’ve ever tried - and so far the only one i’ve kept - lol
Cutlery Shoppe was super fast on the free shipping (those guys are awesome btw) and i’ve been wearing it for about a week now. it doesn’t print under my shirt or jump on me on my morning runs - it’s been hot, super impressed with how it’s been handling the sweat from my workouts - super well thought out kit. I haven’t used the lanyard yet - was concerned that would add bulk on that printing issue. Thank you Fred Perrin & Spyderco!
oh - I got the black one
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

rashman wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:33 pm
I’m really enjoying my Subway Bowie, hazard to say it’s the best neck i’ve ever tried - and so far the only one i’ve kept - lol
Cutlery Shoppe was super fast on the free shipping (those guys are awesome btw) and i’ve been wearing it for about a week now. it doesn’t print under my shirt or jump on me on my morning runs - it’s been hot, super impressed with how it’s been handling the sweat from my workouts - super well thought out kit. I haven’t used the lanyard yet - was concerned that would add bulk on that printing issue. Thank you Fred Perrin & Spyderco!
oh - I got the black one
I've been wearing mine now for a week and a half. I'm used to having now and feel weird not having it on. I really love the thing.
LibeRANTarian

Post by LibeRANTarian »

I haven't used mine much yet but the edge is a little ragged. Hope it's not connecting with the boltaron. It's definitely a tight fit and more difficult to get in than out. It's not going to drop out though.

I'm getting streaks on the coating from the sheath but meh, all of my knives are users.

Fantastic design that carries well around the neck and I too have very little printing or jumping issues with it under a shirt. Seems like the perfect steel choice for the intended carry method.

Anyway, I'm going to give it the KME treatment over the weekend to fix that edge which should help me determine if the sheath is beating it up.

Definitely my favorite neck carry of the few that I have.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Has anyone tried putting an ultiiclip ln the sheath and doing a pocket carry? If so , can. You post a picture please?

Thanks!

Hamilton
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

LibeRANTarian wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:44 pm
I haven't used mine much yet but the edge is a little ragged. Hope it's not connecting with the boltaron. It's definitely a tight fit and more difficult to get in than out. It's not going to drop out though.

I'm getting streaks on the coating from the sheath but meh, all of my knives are users.

Fantastic design that carries well around the neck and I too have very little printing or jumping issues with it under a shirt. Seems like the perfect steel choice for the intended carry method.

Anyway, I'm going to give it the KME treatment over the weekend to fix that edge which should help me determine if the sheath is beating it up.

I haven't noticed any ill effects from the sheath on the edge after I hit it on my hapstone.
LibeRANTarian

Post by LibeRANTarian »

troutinCO wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:25 am
LibeRANTarian wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:44 pm

I haven't noticed any ill effects from the sheath on the edge after I hit it on my hapstone.
Turns out I couldn't wait for the weekend to find out. I basically just matched the factory angle, got the edge to hair splitting and it seems my edge does not negatively interact with the sheath.

It's going to be my primary work knife tonight and it's going catfishing afterward.

Thanks Fred Perrin and Spyderco, for this solid little cutting platform.