subway bowie!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: subway bowie!

Post by Sumdumguy »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:31 pm
Yeah this is going to definitely be a must have for me; I’m a sucker for LC200N. I really hope Spyderco does a taco sheath though and not a pancake sheath. The taco sheaths are just more compact.

I have some questions about this knife though...

What do y’all think the dimensions of this knife will be? I always have a hard time conceiving dimensions on video and pictures. It looks to me like a 2.5”+ blade, maybe 5.5” over all.

Do y’all think it will come with a clip for belt carry, a neck chain or both?

One of the great things is that it will be LC200N, so if I don’t like the sheath I can just make a leather one and not have to worry about corrosion :cool:
I would say that it is under 5" total.

My only critique, is that the handle could use a bit of downward swell to fill out the grip. My ring finger wanted to float, despite there being handle under it.
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:40 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:31 pm
Yeah this is going to definitely be a must have for me; I’m a sucker for LC200N. I really hope Spyderco does a taco sheath though and not a pancake sheath. The taco sheaths are just more compact.

I have some questions about this knife though...

What do y’all think the dimensions of this knife will be? I always have a hard time conceiving dimensions on video and pictures. It looks to me like a 2.5”+ blade, maybe 5.5” over all.

Do y’all think it will come with a clip for belt carry, a neck chain or both?

One of the great things is that it will be LC200N, so if I don’t like the sheath I can just make a leather one and not have to worry about corrosion :cool:
I would say that it is under 5" total.

My only critique, is that the handle could use a bit of downward swell to fill ount the grip. My ring finger wanted to float, despite there being handle under it.

Blade looks to be slightly under 2.25" with a handle about 1.75" so I would put the total length at just under 5" maybe 4.87" or something...

That is all just eyeballing the picture though...so I have no real idea.
So it goes.
spydie-fan

Post by spydie-fan »

I'll definitely be picking up a subway bowie. Such a cool looking little knife
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Hoping to see more specifics soon. Like others have mentioned, a taco style bolteron sheath would be perfect for this kind of “stashable” knife. As it’s the lowest profile.

Also, can anyone tell what factory this is coming from? Is it Japan like the other frn handled Perins’?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

samdasnake wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:09 pm
I hate the fact that in California I can't carry a fixed blade longer than 2" concealed. I will definitely grab one of these but it's really irritating that I won't be able to carry it as a neck knife or a concealed belt carry. Ugh stupid knife laws.

As a fellow resident of The Ridiculous State, I'm already scheming a modification to bring it down to legal dimensions. No brilliant ideas yet, however.

Maybe S-co will make a "California Version" someday. Let's see, that would be a <2" blade, with a compressed hemp handle, no edge, no tip, and engraved warnings all over the blade that (as "known to the state of California"*) knives cause cancer.

(* Mini OT rant: Despite Calif slapping cancer labels on everything, six western states that DON'T warn about cancer have lower rates of it.)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:05 am
(* Mini OT rant: Despite Calif slapping cancer labels on everything, six western states that DON'T warn about cancer have lower rates of it.)
ca would argue that's why they need the warnings.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bolster wrote:
samdasnake wrote:
I hate the fact that in California I can't carry a fixed blade longer than 2" concealed. I will definitely grab one of these but it's really irritating that I won't be able to carry it as a neck knife or a concealed belt carry. Ugh stupid knife laws.

As a fellow resident of The Ridiculous State, I'm already scheming a modification to bring it down to legal dimensions. No brilliant ideas yet, however.

Maybe S-co will make a "California Version" someday. Let's see, that would be a <2" blade, with a compressed hemp handle, no edge, no tip, and engraved warnings all over the blade that (as "known to the state of California"*) knives cause cancer.

Your post and countless others like it, have given me inspiration to actually put a signature on my profile.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:28 am
Bolster wrote:
ca would argue that's why they need the warnings.

LOL yeah. The answer is ALWAYS: "More cowbell!"
Danke

Post by Danke »

Bolster wrote:
samdasnake wrote:

Disambiguation required. Which six?

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosm ... cancer.htm

Back on topic. I'll have one of these; no issues with fixed blades up here.
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

I am 100% interested in this. I have a SOG Instinct, and while it's a good beater knife, this would be much nicer.
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

samdasnake wrote:
Michigan isnt much different. It can be open carried, but not concealed at all, if it's a fixed blade.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

sparty569 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:51 pm
samdasnake wrote:
Michigan isnt much different. It can be open carried, but not concealed at all, if it's a fixed blade.
Yeah in CA it's almost not even worth it to open carry a fixed blade longer than 2". The courts here have pretty narrowly interpreted what "open" means and so carrying strapped to your calf is a no-no, from my understanding. Also you have to be super careful that your shirt doesn't fall over your knife... Just makes it not worth the risk.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Loved this! Agree with taco sheath, actually for all the sheaths but incorporat ulticlips!
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

samdasnake wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:44 pm
sparty569 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:51 pm
samdasnake wrote:
Yeah in CA it's almost not even worth it to open carry a fixed blade longer than 2". The courts here have pretty narrowly interpreted what "open" means and so carrying strapped to your calf is a no-no, from my understanding. Also you have to be super careful that your shirt doesn't fall over your knife... Just makes it not worth the risk.
Pretty much the same in MI. If a police officer wanted, and I had my shirt over the handle, any part of the handle or sheath, they could get me. I agree, it's not worth the risk. I have carried it a couple of times, but I am always paranoid.

I got a Mora Chisel, I'll see if that is better. It isnt a pointed stabbing device, so acc'd to the word of the law, it should be ok.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Danke wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:38 pm

Disambiguation required. Which six?
Notice how many are southwestern states...interesting...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 8.15.18 PM.png
Last edited by Bolster on Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Looking forward to this one. I wish it had replaceable scales though since this is begging for micarta.

Curious to see what MAP is on it.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

DansGearAddiction wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:22 pm
Looking forward to this one. I wish it had replaceable scales though since this is begging for micarta.

Micarta is comparatively heavy. You can actually hear the knife begging to be heavier?
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:25 pm
DansGearAddiction wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:22 pm

Micarta is comparatively heavy. You can actually hear the knife begging to be heavier?
Not everyone is going to use this for a neck knife or as a self-defense side kick. Lots of people will pick this up as a way to try out LC200N, put in a tackle box, etc.

I personally really dislike FRN and the other reinforced plastics (not from a functional point of view, but from a textural point of view). More options is a good thing and removable means you have the choice to do so.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

DansGearAddiction wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:50 pm
...removable means you have the choice to do so.

You make a good point. Comes with a minor cost of possibly coming loose when you least expect it, but the ability to change scales is nice. There's always LockTite.
vivi

Post by vivi »

any updates?
:unicorn