subway bowie!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pokey

Re: subway bowie!

Post by Pokey »

I’ve been wearing mine frequently. It’s nice in that it frees up pocket space; doesn’t interfere with other things on my belt above. The sheath doesn’t slide back and forth on the ball chain like my ARK does. (making it quieter) No issues with the edge vs. the sheath, but other parts of the blade are getting scratched from it. No worries, though.
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

I'm planning on getting one! It'll go nicely with its big brother Street Beat.
rashman

Post by rashman »

troutinCO wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:23 pm
rashman wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:33 pm
I’m really enjoying my Subway Bowie, hazard to say it’s the best neck i’ve ever tried - and so far the only one i’ve kept - lol
Cutlery Shoppe was super fast on the free shipping (those guys are awesome btw) and i’ve been wearing it for about a week now. it doesn’t print under my shirt or jump on me on my morning runs - it’s been hot, super impressed with how it’s been handling the sweat from my workouts - super well thought out kit. I haven’t used the lanyard yet - was concerned that would add bulk on that printing issue. Thank you Fred Perrin & Spyderco!
oh - I got the black one
I've been wearing mine now for a week and a half. I'm used to having now and feel weird not having it on. I really love the thing.
i totally agree, amazing small fixed blade - didn’t wear it for a day and felt sorta naked and really missed it - it’s now part of the full time kit - i’ve even taken it to the shower to wash the post workout off - lol!
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I've re-wrapped my handle with the hockey tape. It is now a bit thicker where I want it to be. Feels really good in hand now. I'm waiting on some new ball chain to make a longer chain. It is also the next size up so I will see if that feels better etc. I still want more sheaths for this thing.
Edit to add a pic:
rewrap.jpg
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Updated the ball chain, went to a #6 (3.2mm) size and 34" long. I started with 3' long, it was a bit much, so took it to the 34". I may take more off, we will see after I wear around more now. I have another 7' of the #6 chain so I have plenty to mess up with. Also, the stock one is 27" long and a size #3(2.4mm).
chain.jpg
Ric

Post by Ric »

Are there chances of getting a serrated version in all black?
sal

Post by sal »

We have no plans for a serrated version, at this time.

sal
Ric

Post by Ric »

Thanks for the feedback, Sal.
Looking forward to using it in plain edge.
Hodges

Post by Hodges »

Love my subway Bowie knife but my sheath cracked on the spine already just from normal use for a couple weeks, now I apparently have to pay to send the whole knife from Canada and pay to return ( and I’m a P.O. Box which it says they don’t ship to ). I think for that cost I’ll just make a better kydex one myself but this is incredibly disappointing. Great knife super mediocre sheath and disappointing answers from cs.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Pokey wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:41 pm
I picked up the satin finished one. I found that the edge bevel on this one was probably 20+ degrees per side. I used the Sharpmaker and flattened them down to 20 dps for an easier touch-up in the future.
I received my Black Friday Subway Bowie today. Well designed and executed, but much thicker behind the edge than it needs to be; going to be a bit of work to get it down to 15 dps where it belongs (for comparison, I have a custom neck knife in Z-FiNit/LC200N with a scandi grind at about 10 - 12 dps and my Siren came from Golden at 15 dps).
vivi

Post by vivi »

same experience for me with all the Perrins fwiw. They're much more fun to use taken down to 15dps or even a little under.
:unicorn
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I'm surprised these and the Swicks aren't making much appearance in the edc thread.
I'd love to get one someday, but the ARK is filling that role nicely, for now.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Looks like something I'd consider picking up even though I'm a fixed blade type of guy 9 times out of 10.
Guessing local stores will price it at 1.5x MSRP like everything lately though :(
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
vivi

Post by vivi »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:06 pm
I'm surprised these and the Swicks aren't making much appearance in the edc thread.
you'll be seeing the swick from me plenty once they release the 5 in PE ;)

I'll pick up the subway bowie eventually but I'm not wild about three finger grips.
:unicorn
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
I typically have mine on me. But like the ladybug I always have on me I rarely take pictures of them. Just the one that rotates typically.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:47 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
you'll be seeing the swick from me plenty once they release the 5 in PE ;)

I'll pick up the subway bowie eventually but I'm not wild about three finger grips.

I am looking forward to your "Observations" thread for the Swick. Someday :smlling-eyes

I do think a PE Swick could pair well with my SE ARK... Trying to resist buying more knives. I could probably make an exception for a fixed blade :winking-tongue .

troutinCO wrote:
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
I typically have mine on me. But like the ladybug I always have on me I rarely take pictures of them. Just the one that rotates typically.

That's understandable, I pretty much always have my ARK with me, but don't always include it in pics.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

I would really love to pick up a Subway Bowie! Although, I’m not thinking of using it as a neck knife. I’m leaning toward either IWB or attached to a discreet carry concept clip and clipping that to my pocket. Who has found a good solution to carry this somewhere besides around the neck?

Hamilton
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

Hodges wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:42 am
Love my subway Bowie knife but my sheath cracked on the spine already just from normal use for a couple weeks, now I apparently have to pay to send the whole knife from Canada and pay to return ( and I’m a P.O. Box which it says they don’t ship to ). I think for that cost I’ll just make a better kydex one myself but this is incredibly disappointing. Great knife super mediocre sheath and disappointing answers from cs.
I hate to hear that, but I've been there before.

I learned to make my own sheaths 15 years ago for the same reason. There is so much information available on Youtube now that it should be pretty easy. All you need is a cheap toaster oven (get one sized for cooking a pizza if you have the space), some kydex (get good US made kydex do NOT order from amazon or you might get cheap imported junk that shrinks when heated), and some brass eyelets. You also need a way to set the eyelets, the inexpensive die set that you hit with a ball-peen hammer works fine just use light taps until you get a feel for it. You'll need a band saw, or hand tension bow saw, and sandpaper to finish your work. Don't forget to wrap your blade in tape anywhere you don't want scratched, you only want the kydex to grab on the handle and sometimes the back of the blade. Also, remember to rinse your sheath after sanding to remove any abrasive before inserting your knife. I recommend a $10 Mora for learning.

It's well worth the effort, once you learn to make your own sheaths you can do far better than the generic ones that come with factory knives. My sheaths are smaller, retain more securely, and look better than all but a few factory provided sheaths.