Cabelas Spyderco stock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Cabelas Spyderco stock?

Post by Josh Crutchley »

How many of you go to Cabelas and browse the Spydercos? I know it was a common thing for me to do until recently. Today there was nothing but other brands. I asked the worker's and they said they used to get quite a few in but lately it's been nothing. They did have 2 or 3 budget line knives in blister packs. My local dealer also has a lot fewer Spydercos than usual. Is this all down to the pandemic or are they just not ordering the knives like they used too.
vivi

Re: Cabelas Spyderco stock?

Post by vivi »

I do when I'm near one.

They'll price match walmarts website, which usually has prices in line with other online retailers, so you can buy knives in person without the typical mark-up.
:unicorn
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:32 pm
I do when I'm near one.

They'll price match walmarts website, which usually has prices in line with other online retailers, so you can buy knives in person without the typical mark-up.
Thanks, I did not know that. Ours usually has a healthy selection.
Josh
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:32 pm
I do when I'm near one.

The fact that your local Cabela's will price match an online price is interesting. The Cabela's near me will only price match local brick & mortar stores, not online websites.

That said, the store near me has gotten more Spydercos in lately; except for the Value Folders they ran out of all other Spydercos last year.

On the other side of that coin, the Sportsman's Warehouse a few miles away has one Spyderco on the shelf. They seem to be well stocked with other brands.

I'm sure each retailer is stocked through their corporate distribution system. Sportsman's is out of Utah, and Cabela's is owned by Bass Pro. I'm not sure if their system uses Cabela's old HQ in Nebraska or BP's in Missouri.

Maybe the local Sportsman's and Cabela's should buy locally. They're both about 30 miles from Golden. ;) :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The closest to me is almost an hour away but we did have some at Field and Stream but they discontinued them all out except for a couple base Delica/Endura/Tenacious that they wanted full MSRP for.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I'm my experience, almost all chain sporting goods stores are the same (many local ones as well). They stock a smattering of crkts, a few Chinese Gerbers, a leek or two plus some random Chinese Kershaw's, a couple of bucks (usually a 110 and a few cheap imports), and then some really "aggressively economical" firearm branded stuff (Smith& Wesson, Browning, etc) probably made by mtech. Basically the cheapest stuff available. No/few quality imports and only the absolutely least expensive domestically made stuff.

The store wants what will sell. Unfortunately for enthusiasts, most people buy the cheapest thing that looks cool and/or has a brand they recognize. A few will look for "made in USA" so they keep the 110 and the leek, but very few will pay extra for a knife made in Taiwan or Japan, let alone China even if it's a huge step up from what's there.

Oh, and very rarely they have a locked display of Benchmade knives that you can't find anyone to open, usually at full MSRP.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:20 am
I'm my experience, almost all chain sporting goods stores are the same (many local ones as well). They stock a smattering of crkts, a few Chinese Gerbers, a leek or two plus some random Chinese Kershaw's, a couple of bucks (usually a 110 and a few cheap imports), and then some really "aggressively economical" firearm branded stuff (Smith& Wesson, Browning, etc) probably made by mtech. Basically the cheapest stuff available. No/few quality imports and only the absolutely least expensive domestically made stuff.

The store wants what will sell. Unfortunately for enthusiasts, most people buy the cheapest thing that looks cool and/or has a brand they recognize. A few will look for "made in USA" so they keep the 110 and the leek, but very few will pay extra for a knife made in Taiwan or Japan, let alone China even if it's a huge step up from what's there.

Oh, and very rarely they have a locked display of Benchmade knives that you can't find anyone to open, usually at full MSRP.
yep, pretty much entirely this.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:54 am
Notsurewhy wrote:

yep, pretty much entirely this.
We don't have a Cabela's in my area, but I 100% agree with all this as well. It's at the point that I don't even wander over to the knife section in those kinds of stores anymore, I know there isn't going to be anything that interests me.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Actually, the Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Scheel's by me usually have a pretty good selection of knives. I was surprised by that when I first moved here. Last time I was in the Bass Pro near my house I noticed there was as many Spyderco models. I was in the Cabela's in Fort Worth not to long ago and I think it was the same. But it seemed like they were low on the other brands too (Benchmade, ZT, etc). The Scheel's near me has a lot of knives but, for high-end stuff, it was all Benchmade. I was looking at their display and the guy asked me which one's I wanted to see. I told him no thanks, I have all the Benchmade models I want and I'm mostly a Spyderco fan

I'll take another look next time I'm in those stores to see what's there
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

The closest Cabela's to me is just far enough away to be inconvenient, so I don't get out there very often. The last time I was in there, I remember seeing some of the budget Spydies and maybe the Delica & Endura and a few others. It wasn't an expansive selection, but they did have some Spyderco in stock..

I do check Cabela's online from time to time.. prices are sometimes all over the place.. a little high usually, but I have caught a few "sales" as well. I got my Shaman from Cabela's for $129 (though I've heard this may have been a pricing error vs an actual sale.. regardless, they honored that price), and I also got a Buck 110 for ~$40, iirc. Not a bad deal there. I have a $50 gift card I've been saving and will likely use it to purchase a knife if I see something come in that I'm intersted in.

I have noticed that the Spyderco selection seems to be dwindling from the website vs other brands..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Notsurewhy wrote:

The last ime I went they had the normal Endura, Delica, Ladybug line up. They also had the Tenacious, Resilience, and the Insistent in blister packs. Once they even had the GB2 and an Endura wave. They have a large Benchmade selection that's always stocked up. There's no shortage of high-end mainstream knives at the Dundee Michigan Cabelas. That's why I started this thread because they went from having good stock of Spydercos to nothing but blister pack knives.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

This thread makes me feel better about being 900 miles to the nearest Cabela's. And, even better about reputable online dealers.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)