2022 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

2022 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest

Post by TazKristi »

Enter the 2022 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest today! Please read this entire announcement before entering. Several submissions were disqualified in year’s past because of missed details. Seriously, please read carefully.

Contest Overview:
We are again making a 12-month wall calendar using images created by you, our forum members (this will be our 11th year!). We want to see your best VERTICAL shot.

We are again asking you to post your entry in this thread AND upload it along with your information through the link provided below.

Contest starts today, 01-Jun-2021, and ends at 16:00 MDT Friday, 30-Jul-2021. Winners will be selected by Spyderco and will be posted on the forum by Friday, 13-Aug-2021.

Calendars will be available for purchase this fall through the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store (in person or online at https://spyderco.com).

The Prizes:
If your image is chosen as the Grand Prize Winner, you will receive a Spyderco Itamae Nakiri (K17GPBNBK - MSRP $380.00) AND a Spyderco Gift Card valued at $250 (Redeemable at SFO or at Spyderco.com). Your image will be featured on the cover AND a calendar month page.

Artists who have their image chosen to represent a specific calendar month (a total of 11 winners) will each receive a Spyderco Rock Jumper (C254PBK - MSRP $125.00) AND a Spyderco Counter Puppy (K20PBL – MSRP $30.00).

Each member who enters the contest (and uploads their high-res image file along with their contact information) will receive a 2022 calendar at no charge when the calendar becomes available.

Please enter to WIN - don’t enter just to receive the calendar. We appreciate everyone’s interest and support and look forward to another fantastic calendar!

Again, please read ALL the information below before posting. We know it’s a lot of words, but it’s essential!

Submission Guidelines:
Please include a 2-5 sentence description of your entry - why you chose the product(s) featured, the history of the image, etc., something to give us a better understanding of your submission.

Please include the product name (if you know it) in your post.

Entry must include a Spyderco product (at least one, but multiple are welcome). Any product Spyderco has ever made is fair game. Your chosen product can be pristine, used, or radically modified.

We encourage you to use your imagination and show us your creativity. Just remember, family-friendly!

Themed images are welcome. Have a favorite season or holiday? Showcase it in your image.

If your camera or image software can manipulate it – we’ll consider it. Be creative!

Remember, Spyderco is the focus of the calendar, so make sure you don’t have a lot of “dead” space. Some scenes are stunning, but if the Spyderco shown is small, it tends to get lost in the scenery.

Entries must be in a digital format and meet the formatting requirements below.

Only ONE image submission per person. You are permitted to modify your submission after posting. If you decide to modify your entry, you must edit your original submission and re-submit the new image before the contest deadline. Having multiple photo submissions in THIS thread at the end date of the contest will invalidate all your submissions.

If you upload an image that is not in this thread, it will be disqualified.

Posting your image in this thread: It is not necessary or recommended that you post a 300 ppi image to our Forums (heck, it’s not even possible!). A 72 ppi image preview that does not exceed 960 px in width for the forum will be just fine. You may use a photo-sharing site to provide a link to your image so long as all other requirements are met within your post. If you use a photo-sharing site, the image must remain publicly available online until 31-Aug-2021.

When you post your submission in this thread, please ALSO upload your hi-res image and contact information by visiting https://www.spyderco.com/contests/calendar/. The maximum file size for uploading is 15MB. If your final submission is not uploaded (hi-res) AND posted in this thread by the close of the contest, your submission will be forfeited. If you upload (through the link) more than one image, the image last posted in this thread is what will be considered. If the high-res image you submit does not meet the Final Print Guidelines below your entry may be disqualified at our discretion.

New Rule!
There is no requirement for the length of membership or number of posts on the forum. All are welcome to enter. Any negative comments related to new members entering the contest may forfeit your entry. This is a fun contest, and it has brought new members to our community every year. We expect comments to be respectful and on-topic.

FORMATTING Requirements:
The Spyderco 2022 Calendar will be printed in an 11” by 8 ½” VERTICAL format. Only VERTICALLY formatted images will be considered, and significant cropping/resizing may occur to winning images. All landscape formatted images will be disqualified.

We recommend keeping the edges and handles of any knives away from the edge of your image to prevent them from being cut off further during production/printing.

Final Print Image Guidelines (ABSOLUTE MINIMUM – Images should be no smaller than this):
Width: 2700 px
Height: 3450 px
Resolution: 300 ppi
(This translates to 8.75” x 11.25” to account for a 1/8” bleed)

Image Preview (for posting on the forum)
Width: 960 px
Resolution: 72 ppi

There are several free tools you can use online to check the size and resolution of your image before submitting it.

Content Restrictions:
The submission must not contain any copyrighted material (unless you own the copyright).

Your submission must be entirely original and created by you.

Images may not contain any promotional material - this includes trademarks and logos for non-Spyderco businesses, even those for personal endeavors.

Only family-friendly, tasteful submissions will be considered. Remember, this calendar will be hanging in someone’s home or office.

NOTE: If you upload an image that we feel might violate our content restrictions, we will do our best to contact you and let you know that your image might be disqualified before the end of the contest. However, we cannot guarantee this, so be sure to meet all requirements and review the content restrictions carefully before posting.

Eligibility:
The 2022 Spyderco Calendar Contest is open to all members of the Spyderco.com Forum, who are at least 18 years of age. Proof of age may be required. There is no requirement tied to the length of membership or number of posts.

Employees, relatives of employees of Spyderco, its partner companies, and manufacturers are not eligible to enter or win.

Obligatory Fine Print:
Submitted images become the exclusive property of Spyderco Inc. By posting your photo in this thread, user grants unencumbered, free usage, and printing use solely to Spyderco Inc.

This contest is subject to all laws and void where prohibited.

Please keep in mind that there are various laws and regulations regarding knives throughout the world. If you are selected as a winner, and you live in a region that prohibits us from sending the intended prize, we have the right to substitute your prize as we see fit.

We reserve the right to substitute prizes if any unforeseen issues arise with availability.

Hints for success:
Please take a moment to view past calendar contests and get an idea of previous submissions and winners.

Here are a few links to get you started.
2021 Submissions
2021 Winners

2020 Submissions
2020 Winners

2019 Submissions
2019 Winners

2018 Submissions
2018 Winners

2017 Submissions
2017 Winners

Be mindful of the placement of the Spyderco product; Items that are too close the edges can be cut off when we format for printing. We also like to see the Spyderco product easily, so close-up shots are encouraged (as opposed to an item being small within a large scene – no matter how beautiful that scene is). See below for an example guideline.

We are consistently in awe of the talent that our forum members have, and we’ve seen the level of skill and creativity increase every year. Give us your best! We can’t wait to see this year’s submissions! Good luck to everyone!!
Forum Calendar art.jpg
There is nothing more important than this one day.
The Meat man

Re: 2022 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest

Post by The Meat man »

Awesome! Thank you Spyderco for giving us this opportunity again. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. :thumbsup:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Exciting. :)

I think I might have my photo ready but I will definitely continue to take more photos trying to get a winner!
-Nick :bug-red
przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

I can feel the thrill already :)
:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Great prizes! :D

Edit: I should say great prizes as always :)
-Turbo
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Wow I can’t believe it’s this time of year already. Good luck everyone!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Time to break out the cameras again!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Kristi: Are close-in images with some of the knife handle out-of-frame suitable entries? Just curious seeing the example template.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

My favorite outdoor do all work knife, the Gayle Bradley Bowie. It is a superb fixed blade and does not shy away from anything I ask if it. It likes to make feather sticks, be batoned through split firewood to make kindling, and even get muddy by digging holes. The handle fits securely into the palm without any doubt, and the modified D2 steel keeps a good working edge for all tasks in front of it. Thank you Spyderco and good luck all!
Josh
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

This is an old pic of Spyderco Kiwi 3, hope this is allowed. I consider this as my favorite photo, took it in July of 2017 on vacation in Dmitrovsky district. I was lucky enough to spot and take a picture of that weevil in the flower. Sadly i don’t have that bird anymore but this photo gives me joy. Thank you for opportunity and good luck to all!

Last edited by knifemovieguy on Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:19 am
Kristi: Are close-in images with some of the knife handle out-of-frame suitable entries? Just curious seeing the example template.
Hey, curlyhairedboy:
Yes, they are if you are intentionally wanting some of the knife out of frame. Just know that it could get cut off more when we size for printing. We've had to make tough calls in the past, so we're trying to make everyone aware of the whole process and what can happen to their image.

Kristi
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TazKristi wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:00 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:19 am
Hey, curlyhairedboy:
Yes, they are if you are intentionally wanting some of the knife out of frame. Just know that it could get cut off more when we size for printing. We've had to make tough calls in the past, so we're trying to make everyone aware of the whole process and what can happen to their image.

Kristi
Hi Kristi,

I've always wondered, it's pretty uncommon for knives with custom scales or blade/scale swapped knives to appear in the calendars very often, if at all...is that because those examples aren't how Spyderco sells their knives?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:11 pm
Hi Kristi,

I've always wondered, it's pretty uncommon for knives with custom scales or blade/scale swapped knives to appear in the calendars very often, if at all...is that because those examples aren't how Spyderco sells their knives?
No, we welcome images of customized or embellished knives too. We even include that in the rules...
TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:47 am
Entry must include a Spyderco product (at least one, but multiple are welcome). Any product Spyderco has ever made is fair game. Your chosen product can be pristine, used, or radically modified.
*bold by me for emphasis.

Hope this helps.

Kristi
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

20210312_080055.jpgreduced (3).jpg
Mule test SPY 27, beautiful winter day at Cedar River Camp Adirondack's, NY. Wanted to do my first bush craft feather stick to test the capabilities of SPY 27 Mule.
Wralle

Post by Wralle »

Amazing start!!! Wish everyone the best and can’t wait to see all the amazing submissions!!!

Happy shooting everyone!
Matriarch 2, Manix 2 translucent blue, Manix 2 Carbon Fiber CPM154/S90V, Scorpious, PM2 S110V, Para 3 SPY27, Streetbeat FRN, Bug, Chaparral Rafir Noble, Chaparral Ti, Tenacious, Mule Team 21, Domino, Rhino, Spot, One Eyed Jack, Dogtag Ti, Native 5 Fluted CF, Amalgam, Coin 2017 :cool:
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Good luck everyone! :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Lzeplin

Post by Lzeplin »

Here is a picture of my favorite Backpacking knife. The Manix 2 light weight. I got this photo after a passing rain shower. When backpacking every ounce of weight matter's, and having a knife strong enough that you can depend on.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Lzeplin wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:45 am
Here is a picture of my favorite Backpacking knife. The Manix 2 light weight. I got this photo after a passing rain shower. When backpacking every ounce of weight matter's, and having a knife strong enough that you can depend on.
I remember that photo, it’s a winner to me.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Here is my C01SATU Tuffram Worker. The worker was the first folding knife in history to offer the Trademark Round Hole and a pocket clip. The G-2 Stainless is some good stuff. This knife is special to me since I acquired it directly from Sal for donating to a very good cause.
FB0139F8-ED68-444A-B1DB-454B9E715ACF.jpeg
Wralle

Post by Wralle »

This year i have decided to showcase my favorite knife, Native 5 Fluted Carbon Fiber (C41CFF5). I currently live in the desert and there isn't much around other than sand and stunning sunsets. So I have chosen this photo as this is my heaven on earth, an amazing knife and a pretty sunset. I hope you all like it as much as i do. :)

Wishing everyone the best of luck!

Thank you again to Spyderco for building such an amazing community!

Matriarch 2, Manix 2 translucent blue, Manix 2 Carbon Fiber CPM154/S90V, Scorpious, PM2 S110V, Para 3 SPY27, Streetbeat FRN, Bug, Chaparral Rafir Noble, Chaparral Ti, Tenacious, Mule Team 21, Domino, Rhino, Spot, One Eyed Jack, Dogtag Ti, Native 5 Fluted CF, Amalgam, Coin 2017 :cool: