2022 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: 2022 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest

Post by SpyderNut »

Model: C06TI Tusk

Decided to go with the Tusk for my submission this year. Such a cool little design. I love how it incorporates two different locking mechanisms into a relatively compact package. True to Spyderco style, the ergonomics (to me) are equally comfortable with either the blade opened or the marlin spike. I think the backstory on the knife is pretty cool too. IIRC, the Tusk originally started as Sal’s brainchild some thirty years ago, but was sidelined by the technology of the time. Years later, it was finally brought to fruition by Eric. Such a marvel in modern engineering, I think this knife deserves a spot in any Spyderhead’s collection.

Thanks for the opportunity, Spyderco. Good luck to everyone!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Maxamet PM2 with Rippsgaragetech blue jean linen micarta scales. “The edge is a ghost.” -Sal

My edge path started with pull through sharpeners, and I kept asking the same question, “How can I make it sharper and for longer?” The more I asked this question, the more I found answers in Sal Glesser’s poetic words of the edge being a living thing, yet also a ghost that is not always visible.
Attachments
820CE8DF-CDCC-4B6D-8147-8F6F1390A809.jpeg
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

It takes a sharp knife to get sharp pencils. (In Colorado colors)
Shaman with custom Ironwood scales.

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I hope I did this right the forum was rotating my preview so I just linked the full image. This is my 3d printed Manix 2 LW S110V. I think it's the first 3d printed LW in the world which is pretty cool. The picture was taken on my vacation with my wife and father to Lake Huron. The Manix was the first expensive knife I owned and I loved it so much I bought a second, this LW. It was others in the mule team forum that inspired me to start making my own 3d models so Spyderco has not only opened me up to the world of blade steels they also inadvertently pushed me to learn CAD modeling. I'm extremely grateful for all I've learned here just hope to pay it back somehow.
link just in case:http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view& ... Pm8qSBzhTS
Last edited by Josh Crutchley on Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:25 am

How did you get them so nice and curly with a knife? ;) Still a cool idea for a picture and one of the things I use my Spydies for most often! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:09 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:25 am

How did you get them so nice and curly with a knife? ;) Still a cool idea for a picture and one of the things I use my Spydies for most often! :D
Haha that's funny!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
wec12

Post by wec12 »

Model: Spyderco Mantra Titanium C202TI

Mantra was chosen to be the model because it has been a great companion for years. With the combination of the material used and the ergonomics, Mantra has been delivering great cutting results. My daughter, as the background, has been so interested in Spyderco calendar contests and had always been helping behind the scene. Hopefully this photography documents the great memories and the bonds for years to come.
Spyderco Calendar Contest 2021_wec12 copy.jpg
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Model: Spyderco Ouroboros

The Ouroboros is an iconic Paul Alexander design. It is a joy to carry and use. The lines of the knife flow into each other in both closed and open position, and my eyes can't help but follow around and around. I felt inspired to try to match the design to a steel that offered a similarly magnetic flow. This is the Ouroboros in Bjorkman's Twist Damasteel - I feel very fortunate that the damascus pattern is as mesmerizing as the knife design!

Kristi, I'm not sure my entry is properly submitted - was I supposed to receive a confirmation message? The upload seemed to go through but the page that loads is the entry form again.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Liffey by the Swayback

KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

My submission comes from a campingtrip in Sweden this year. I'm still on the trip now and getting this done without a computer and good internet is challeging by itself.

The knife featured is a Paramilitary 2 in coyote brown with the S35VN steel. My favourite outdoors folding knife because of its size and ergonomics. This is one of the many pics taken on this trip in Sweden, but I choose this one because it captured not only the knife in a beautiful way, but also the fairytale landscape, and amazing light that I've seen and enjoyed here.

Goodluck everyone and thanks again for organising this contest.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Model: Spyderco Bow River FB46GP (Dragonfly Salt SE in background)

Chose the Bow River this year as it has been a great companion on fishing trips. The main river that goes through Calgary is called the Bow River, so I thought it would be fitting to capture the Spyderco Bow River while fishing the Bow River!

I have found the size and ergonomics of the Bow River to be perfect for setting up the lines and being easily accessible while also using other equipment.

Please let me know if I messed up the sizing or resolution in the photo I submitted to the link provided in the original post. I think I did it right, but I'm a novice with photography...

Thanks for running the contest and the opportunity!
20210728_120517-03_copy_1512x2016.jpeg
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:22 pm
Model: Spyderco Ouroboros

The Ouroboros is an iconic Paul Alexander design. It is a joy to carry and use. The lines of the knife flow into each other in both closed and open position, and my eyes can't help but follow around and around. I felt inspired to try to match the design to a steel that offered a similarly magnetic flow. This is the Ouroboros in Bjorkman's Twist Damasteel - I feel very fortunate that the damascus pattern is as mesmerizing as the knife design!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/4kVmIWP.jpeg[/img

Kristi, I'm not sure my entry is properly submitted - was I supposed to receive a confirmation message? The upload seemed to go through but the page that loads is the entry form again.
Beautiful!!!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Forum name: tap78
Model: Spyderco Lum Large Chinese Folder C143, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3

My entry is to present fantastic looking, agressive and sharp blade of Lum Large Chinese Folder with catched Ladybugs in background.

Thank You Spyderco for making the contest, and I wish a good luck to all contestants.
Tomasz tap
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Model: Manix 2 LW and Manix 2 G10 both in CPM 20CV

I really enjoy both knives. Even both are kind of the same model, they feel different enough for me to not be seen as the same knife. Usually I carry them not together, but the color combination just matched the watermelon so good, I could not resist. The G10 Version has a copper ball cage.
Attachments
Forumvorschau.jpg
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

With this photo, I wanted to highlight the inspiration and namesake of the Kapara, a redback spider, in a fun and creative way. I ventured into a local cave to capture photos of this specimen. I was able to photograph the Kapara as it hung from a single strand of silk, waiting in ambush.

Forum Name: Mushroom
Product Name: Kapara
(Scientific Name: C241CF)

"Kave Spyder"

Thank you, Spyderco, for continuing to offer us this unique opportunity. Best of luck to all who enter! :bug-white
-Nick :bug-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

SLYSZ BOWIE FOLDER™ TITANIUM
C186TI

It was fun to see one of my favorite knives back in the spotlight this year, and the OG Slysz Bowie still makes me smile every time I pull it out of my pocket. It is a knife that created a very special bond with me, and I feel lucky to be able to experience such a masterpiece. Thank you Spyderco!

Candyman

Post by Candyman »

My submission is the Spyderco Native. I picked this one as it was my first knife, my gateway into the world of Spyderco and what would turn into years of friendship with people from all over the world. This knife was given to me by my uncle as a gift just a few months before he passed away of cancer. If it wasn’t for him and this knife I might have never had the opportunity to meet all the amazing like minded people in this community.

Rich

Think for yourself
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Wow, images on this page alone could make a great calendar! :eyes (and many preceding ones as well).
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Forum Name: nerdlock
Model: Spyderco Kapara 20CV DLT Exclusive

The Spyderco Kapara is not only an excellent EDC knife, but an amazing food prep folder as well. The original Kapara is a capable blade, but S30V isn't the most suitable steel for prolonged exposure to moisture, vegetable and fruit juices, as well as the tropical humidity. I believe the full potential of the Kapara as a knife for food prepping was realized when DLT released its 20CV Exclusive - a more wear-resistant steel than LC200N, while being more corrosion-resistant than S30V.

Thanks Spyderco for the opportunity again! Best wishes everyone!

(P.S. - Kristi - I did not receive a notification that I had successfully uploaded my image, did you folks receive it? thanks!)
Last edited by nerdlock on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
gmarin

Post by gmarin »

:bug-red Ready for cut the mango :winking-tongue

:bug-red This Knife never missing in my Kitchen :bug-red
Attachments
Tenacious OD Green FRN
Tenacious OD Green FRN
10 :bug-red in 8 different steels