A Case To Be Made For The Dodo Model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Re: A Case To Be Made For The Dodo Model

Post by Bemo »

Make it a CBBL and I'll buy both the PE and the SE regardless the steel. BBL..... probably pass. But again, if you re-engineer this with a CBBL then hopefully you've opened the door for other models to be similarly changed (Q-Ball would be utterly fantastic with the CBBL).
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

For the Reverse-S blades (Cricket, Lil Matriarch) I always found that Serrated was a much better fit for general utility work with that blade shape.

I've never handled the Dodo but I imagine its comparable; looks like a cool design.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd buy a CBBL Dodo. :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I do want to like it. I sold my blue one long ago. I then purchased my jade/M4 version to see if I would like it the second go around. I like reverse S blades for some tasks but the Dodo blade is just a little short for me and the S shape is too pronounced. In the end I just grab my PE Lil’ Matriarch which is one of my favorite gardening knives.

My point? I would be interested in a bigger Dodo with a less pronounced S shape. The current Dodo has its limitations.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Danke

Post by Danke »

Half inch longer blade and serrated would be rad. But it would need a new handle too I think, just not enough room for that big a blade in the current version.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Secondary market prices have little or nothing to do with the chances of getting an "economy" or re-designed run of a "hot" model as far as I can tell. IIRC Spyderco needs to sell thousands of units to justify the tooling and manufacturing time and actually make money on the run. There's demand enough for a sprint run or pre-purchased exclusive from a seller, but almost certainly not for 10,000 sales.

I love the reverse-S blade shape, and I liked the PE Dodo I had.
That said, the Cricket is a better fit for me in this size of blade.

It's great to have a bigger handle, but I'd rather have a Meerkat or Efficient with a reverse S blade than the BBL and handle shape of the Dodo. IMO the Efficient would be a great platform to experiment with blade shapes. I don't even mind 8Cr13Mov as a steel for serrated edges (though I'd prefer 14C28n on just about everything).
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Dodo-fly and then an FRN Dodo 2 LW.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Danke

Post by Danke »

OK so it's settled. Bigger Dodo with corrugated Ti slabs, front flipper and phantom lock.

Make it so!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bbturbodad wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 8:31 pm
Yes!

I've been carrying my PE the last few days and always forget how much I love it. I almost started a similar thread yesterday because I'd love to have an SE version too.

I'd be happy with any steel/color combo.
It sounds to me like you went down the same road as I did. Because at first I really didn't see any viable uses for the Dodo model until I actually decided to EDC one for at least a week. I was just shocked at how good the Dodo is for most everyday cutting chores. I did end up liking the full SE version slightly better but the design is really deceiving. Just to look at the Dodo model you initially see it as a novelty type design.

Once I EDCed one I immediately seen what Eric Glesser had in mind when he came up with that design. In places where blade length laws are draconian and knives are looked down on I find that the Dodo really hides itself well. Everyone ( including non-knife people) that I've showed any of my Dodo models to have actually found the design quite interesting.

I think you can take the Dodo virtually anywhere unless knives are strictly prohibited. I'm still mind blown how many cutting jobs you can do with such a short blade.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Danke wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:46 pm
OK so it's settled. Bigger Dodo with corrugated Ti slabs, front flipper and phantom lock.

Make it so!
I have even had a couple of threads over the years begging Spyderco to consider the possibility of a larger scale Dodo model. A larger scale Dodo with a blade about twice or 2.5 times the size of the original design would be great for anyone in a hard job.

The handle design is awesome and fits my hand perfectly in most cases. For those of you who are "thumbs down" on this suggestion I have to ask if you all have ever actually attempted to use one in everyday chores before? I had a negative attitude toward the Dodo until I actually made myself use one. That knife is far more versatile than most people give it credit for.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I could never love this knife. It’s always reminded me an expensive linoleum knife. Combine that with the sometimes difficult to unlock BB lock makes it a nonstarter for me, sorry.

I suspect the high secondary prices are mostly due to a very small supply in the open market. I’m sure collectors would snap up every one of a small exclusive release, however.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:56 pm
I could never love this knife. It’s always reminded me an expensive linoleum knife. Combine that with the sometimes difficult to unlock BB lock makes it a nonstarter for me, sorry.

I suspect the high secondary prices are mostly due to a very small supply in the open market. I’m sure collectors would snap up every one of a small exclusive release, however.
I think it's fair to say that the "Dodo" model is not for everyone. The completely unique features of that model are so unique that only a dedicated cult following of that model ever developed over the years. But the Dodo is like so many other Spyderco models in that it appealed to a fanbase that really enjoys these highly specialized Spyderco models.

You can also say that most of Spyderco's great knives only appeal to a remnant of knife lovers that want something different than a Buck model 110 or one of your grandpa's old Case knives.

But it can't be argued that the Dodo is a super rigid, high quality well made knife. It has hardly no competitors because it's truly "one of a kind". No I don't expect everyone to like it or want it to return. But there are those of us who do appreciate it.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Doesn’t seem like their style (or factory for that matter) but a KC exclusive Pakkawood & HAP40 Dodo would be a grail for me.

I’ve been eyeing some of Cuscadi’s wood scales for the Dodo and would greatly prefer something other than smooth G-10 if this gets brought back.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Zive wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:48 pm
Doesn’t seem like their style (or factory for that matter) but a KC exclusive Pakkawood & HAP40 Dodo would be a grail for me.

I’ve been eyeing some of Cuscadi’s wood scales for the Dodo and would greatly prefer something other than smooth G-10 if this gets brought back.
I seriously doubt if they would ever do a Dodo model in HAP 40. It would be an American blade steel because the Dodo is a GOLDEN, CO USA Earth made model. But that's OK because there are so many great steels made by Crucible or Carpenter that would be superb for the Dodo model.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:28 pm
For the Reverse-S blades (Cricket, Lil Matriarch) I always found that Serrated was a much better fit for general utility work with that blade shape.

I've never handled the Dodo but I imagine its comparable; looks like a cool design.
Mark I think it's fair to say that you would love the Dodo model. It seems like over the years that you and I have very similar tastes in Spyderco models we both tend to like. Once you would see how easy it is to deploy the Dodo model one handed you would quicklyl become attached to that model.

And I totally agree with you that any of Spyderco's Reverse S, Hawkbills or Recurve blades seem to do much better with a full Spyderedged blade ( serrated)). I'm very sure you would love to play with the ball bearing lock or the newer ceramic ball bearing locking systems on the Dodo models. I've gotten to where I can deploy them very fast. It's a great locking system and a super good handle design on the Dodo model. Truthfully I would be shocked if you didn't like the Dodo. Sure it's different than the C-60 Ayoob that both of us rate extremely high. But it's an extremely functional model and I have no doubt you would love it.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I would love to see a Dodo Sprint or Exclusive if a full-blown return to the production catalogue doesn't happen, and definitely in for both a PE & SE.... I must confess that I only own an SE model, but I'm fairly confident I'd like the PE version as well, I own both the PE & SE Lil' Matriarch and those two are at the very top of my fave Seki models ever produced and they are reverse-s as well... Let's make it happin' captain! :D

Cheers,

John
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Great knife for warehouse work. Boxes, straps, plastic. My only complaint was the BBL was hard for me to quickly and efficiently close one handed. Would love to see this knife with a CBBL. I also think you could shorten the point on the end of the handle, make it a little more comfortable in the pocket.

Bottom line, with a little refinement this model could fill a role in the line up that no other knife fills. Which is a heavy duty small bladed hawkbill with a full size handle. It can be used with gloves, and has great cutting power.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Zive

Post by Zive »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:07 pm
I seriously doubt if they would ever do a Dodo model in HAP 40. It would be an American blade steel because the Dodo is a GOLDEN, CO USA Earth made model. But that's OK because there are so many great steels made by Crucible or Carpenter that would be superb for the Dodo model.
Totally agree that it’s beyond the realm of possibility... but one can dream. Even REX45 with a stabilized wood handle would probably never happen. Oh well. :rolleyes:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:45 am
Great knife for warehouse work. Boxes, straps, plastic. My only complaint was the BBL was hard for me to quickly and efficiently close one handed. Would love to see this knife with a CBBL. I also think you could shorten the point on the end of the handle, make it a little more comfortable in the pocket.

Bottom line, with a little refinement this model could fill a role in the line up that no other knife fills. Which is a heavy duty small bladed hawkbill with a full size handle. It can be used with gloves, and has great cutting power.
I had that same problem with the "ball bearing lock" at first too. But after some practice I've gotten to where it's second nature anymore. I've heard that the ceramic ball bearing lock is slightly better and somewhat easier to deploy. And I've had at least 3 people so far tell me that they would prefer the ceramic ball bearing lock if we were to have a Sprint Run.

It just takes a bit of practice and you can't do it wearing any type of glove it doesn't seem. At least I've never been able to deploy the lock unless I was bare handed.

Also the full SE version would be a worker's dream folder in warehouse jobs and in fishing/marine type jobs as well.
Danke

Post by Danke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:41 pm
Danke wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:46 pm

Make it so!
I have even had a couple of threads over the years begging Spyderco to consider the possibility of a larger scale Dodo model. A larger scale Dodo with a blade about twice or 2.5 times the size of the original design would be great for anyone in a hard job.

The handle design is awesome and fits my hand perfectly in most cases. For those of you who are "thumbs down" on this suggestion I have to ask if you all have ever actually attempted to use one in everyday chores before? I had a negative attitude toward the Dodo until I actually made myself use one. That knife is far more versatile than most people give it credit for.
I like mine a lot the way it is but I'm a big proponent of "Front Flipper All The Things".

What I can't really see is how this could work in wood.