Bladeshow 2021

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Snacktime

Re: Bladeshow 2021

Post by Snacktime »

REC channel had a few things, Knife Center so far has had the best coverage. I am waiting for Blade West as I might be able to justify the 5-6 hour car ride down and a hotel. Just kind of sad the way gun shows have all but dried up (beef jerky shows) to the point even local companies don't participate. I have to literally buy it to try it these days. Wish this was more a traveling show, like the good old days.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Has anyone heard a peep out of other retailers? BladeHQ, blink twice if you need help
rivy

Post by rivy »

Anyone get a pic of that lil native tanto?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:16 pm
Glad to hear the PM2 LW is finally happening! Wire clip?
Yes, it had a wire clip.

One of the prototypes that caught my eye was a lightweight lockback. FRN scales, no liners, and a filet knife thin blade of 8CR steel. It was so lightweight it would make a Bugout feel like a Buck 110. Opening hole was rather difficult to access, and the lock was rather stiff, but it was a prototype.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Blade length?
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:56 am
prndltech wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:14 pm
vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:57 pm
I'm not surprised by that change to the Military.

I know a lot of people here like the current shallow choil, but I can count on no hands the number of times I've seen someone ask for the PM1 style choil to make a return after the PM2 launched.
That’s My favorite thing about the military and wish more models were less defined. I much more prefer designs that don’t force my hand somewhere. The more neutral the better in my book.
I just find it interesting that a lot of people here feel this way about the Military, but back when the PM2 came out I don't recall anyone here making similar remarks.

I do recall a few people wishing the PM2 blade was as short as the PM1, but the four way clip and deeper choil were universally loved.

I do agree with this assessment. I still find it difficult to understand why people are reacting negatively about the changes to the Military 2 when it was said that the Military will still be in production. As a left-hander, I'm all the more for changes to the Military design that will make it more ambidextrous to keep up with the changing times and to make possible Military-style blade sprints and exclusives in the future more accessible to lefties.

Let Spyderco surprise us. I doubt the PM2 would have been the phenomenon it is in the knife world right now if Sal and Eric did not deviate far from the basic premise of the original Paramilitary.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:55 pm
I do agree with this assessment. I still find it difficult to understand why people are reacting negatively about the changes to the Military 2 when it was said that the Military will still be in production. As a left-hander, I'm all the more for changes to the Military design that will make it more ambidextrous to keep up with the changing times and to make possible Military-style blade sprints and exclusives in the future more accessible to lefties.

Let Spyderco surprise us. I doubt the PM2 would have been the phenomenon it is in the knife world right now if Sal and Eric did not deviate far from the basic premise of the original Paramilitary.
I think I look at this from a pretty neutral angle. The Military never stood out as a knife I needed to try, although I warmed up slightly after joining this forum.
Even if the intention is produce them side by side, that is only viable to a certain point. Spyderco is a business, not charity, so if the M2 outperforms the M1 passed a certain point... well.. that's it. Most likely.

This wouldn't be a problem if the better design carries on. And the M2 might very well be the better implementation or the M1 could even surprise everyone and come out on top. Evolution is in fact survival of the fittest, but we live in a strange world. Collectors, coach flickers and safe queen hoarders seems to make up a significant part of the higher end knife market, so evolution is artificially skewed toward appearance, novelty and entertainment value at the expense of function.

There's still a lot of very functional knives coming out, especially from Spyderco, but there is a general trend toward superficial values - not only in the knife market.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Spyderco lineup for this Blade Show was unimpressive, after two years they come up with some usual maxi midi mini micro nano pico and lightweights.

As usual the chinese lineup looked better, Civivi and We Knife.

The discussion was deviated to the much more interesting magic prototypes box.

The eternally prototype Military 2, some say that they've even seen the Grail, if I remember correctly it was discussed as stop-lock at some point ages ago, now is compression, another 20 years in the prototype box until Spyderco solves their own puzzle of what to do with a Military 2.

PM2 Civilian style blade, there's another exclusive cash-in for Spyderco, please make it exclusive-pink G10.

PM2 Salt, that's interesting, hope that's not too exclusive

Techno 3, if it's a flipper I hope they still don't feel that it doesn't need a steel insert.
Also from Techno to Techno 2 the fit-and-finish was downgraded from the nicer stonewashed finish to that cheaper looking bead-blasted, hope they don't keep the downwards trend. If it's done right I might be interested in one of these.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

SMKW appears to have an exclusive coming from Spyderco. Eric makes a brief cameo in their recent youtube video and mentions that they're working on an exclusive for SMKW and gives the hint "Winter is Coming"... https://youtu.be/clq_INuFIF4

-Nick :bug-red
PStone

Post by PStone »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:28 am
SMKW appears to have an exclusive coming from Spyderco. Eric makes a brief cameo in their recent youtube video and mentions that they're working on an exclusive for SMKW and gives the hint "Winter is Coming"... https://youtu.be/clq_INuFIF4

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. Hoping that it’s not just aftermarket scales like some of their other “exclusives”.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hmm, very interesting indeed! Dang, I need Spyderco to slow down with all these recent releases of late...draining my bank account haha! I went 5 months without a single Spyderco purchase, to making 4 in month. Yowza
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Gsg9 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:43 am
Spyderco lineup for this Blade Show was unimpressive, after two years they come up with some usual maxi midi mini micro nano pico and lightweights.

As usual the chinese lineup looked better, Civivi and We Knife.
Yeah, WE, Civivi, Bestech and Kizer are almost killing the game lately. I only wish Spyderco decides to step up their game when it comes to thinning down their blades behind the edge(but not only) Maybe not Civivi thickness behind the edge which is insane but… really Spyderco … > 0.020” bte is unacceptable for a ffg blade in the 21 century. This remindes me that Sal promissed us some high performance Delicas/Enduras in high hollow grind.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Haven't seen anything from we, kizer or bestech that has ever caught my eye before. what are the stand out models from blade show in your eyes?
:unicorn
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Of the Chinese manufacturers, I thought CJRB/Artisan had the most compelling selection of new models. Their designers seem to really have something going - thin, light blades, nice materials including their own PM steel, and collaborations with custom makers all for $50-75.

Still, nothing really takes me away from Spyderco. The Magnacut Sebenzas look cool, I hope those make it into regular production.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:42 am
The Magnacut Sebenzas look cool, I hope those make it into regular production.

I remember when Tim talked about a Sebenza prototype in 20CV on his podcast (2+ years ago). He quickly shot down any expectations that they would switch to 20CV; he cited the need for greater toughness. The fact that Tim didn't do that on the DBH video leaves the door open to this possibility. But, I bet they have to work through their S45Vn stock first (assuming the switch happens). Also, they are now running their S45Vn at 62, just like the Magnacut prototype.

EDITED for clarity
Last edited by p_atrick on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Magnacut Sebenza ... will it be the 61 or 71? :p

Soooo ... for those few millions of us that could not make it to the show ... is there at least a list with some impressions/description of the Spyderco prototypes? There is some information spread over this thread, but I would love to see it all in one place. I have understood that no graphical information can be provided.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The knife I find the most interesting is the K390 Straight Spine Stretch. I wish they had made this one in micarta instead of the PM2, but that's me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:13 am
Haven't seen anything from we, kizer or bestech that has ever caught my eye before. what are the stand out models from blade show in your eyes?
Civivi Elementum is awesome and WE Mini Buster is superb but for me Bestech is the huge surprise. I own a few and mark my words, their fit and finish and attention to details is incredible. Bestech Ornetta, Kasta, Goblin, Ivy ... pick your poison ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Awesome that everyone is loving on the Chinese brands that have nothing to do with Spyderco. Can we bring it back around to Spydercos on the Spyderco General Discussion forum? There is an off topic forum to discuss other brands.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I saw a Bladeshow photo of the K390 models but the Wharnie Dragonfly was conspicuously absent! Where are you Wharnie Dragonfly k390?