June Hawkbill Challenge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

June Hawkbill Challenge

Post by Holland »

I think it might be fun to only carry a Hawkbill spyderco for the month of June.

Might be a fun way to have more discussion and real world reviews on hawkbills.

Anyone care to join me? :D
20210525_113435_copy_2620x1474.jpg
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
ZrowsN1s

Re: June Hawkbill Challenge

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I don't know that I can commit to carryimg any knife for a whole month :D

But coincidentally I just gave my Tasman 2 a spa treatment.

Finally dyed it a color I like, and reprofiled the edge on the sharpmaker. 20 degree serrated chisel edge, using the EvilD recomend diamond, brown stone, fine, ultrafine progression. I then gave it a stropping using the edge of my KnivesPlus strop block. Nice and sharp.

I probably wont carry it every day, but I intend to carry it more.

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
kobold

Post by kobold »

I don't think I can do it. But I am very interested to learn from experiences of others.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm already stuck in one completely illogical challenge

🤣

I could do just fine until I need to stab into something. Otherwise I'm quite comfortable with hawkbills.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

I’ve been carrying my hawkbill Dfly every day for the past 2 1/2 months since I found it after thinking it was lost for almost a year lol
JMM

Post by JMM »

I'm in for using only my Dfly2 Salt SE Hawkbill (in a G10 Dfly body) as my secondary/SE EDC for the month of June if that's permitted in the challenge... ;) :D

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I could give that a try. However I do run into some cutting jobs where a plain edge comes in handy. If I did exclusively carry a Hawkbill for an entire month it would have to be my Yellow handled, full SE Spyderhawk. I need a big blade for some jobs I encounter. I don't find plain edged Hawkbills very good performers in many jobs.

When it comes to Hawkbills you won't find a bigger fan than myself. But I'm to the point I only use full Spyderedged Hawkbills. I carry one PE blade and one SE blade daily and have for some time. Many times my SE blade is a Hawkbill. So I'm no stranger to using one.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

My initial reaction was that this would be pretty much impossible, but thinking some more about what I actually use my EDC knife for, I think it would be totally doable.

Only problem.... I don’t have one :(
z1r

Post by z1r »

Ok, I'll switch to my LadyBug Salt and my Byrd Hawkbill. I am currently trying to purchase a Tasman. But I will still carry either my M2 or N5 as well, just can't help it! I usually carry three knives anyway, lol.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:50 am
My initial reaction was that this would be pretty much impossible, but thinking some more about what I actually use my EDC knife for, I think it would be totally doable.

For an inexpensive test, try the Byrd Hawkbill. I find that to be a great knife!
/ David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Sonorum wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:28 am
aicolainen wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:50 am

For an inexpensive test, try the Byrd Hawkbill. I find that to be a great knife!
I’ve kind of already decided to get a Dragonfly salt HB. I just have to make some room in my collection so things don’t get totally out of control :)

This was supposed to be the year of “reduce and refine”, but I haven’t seen much of that yet :rolleyes:
z1r

Post by z1r »

Sonorum wrote:

Agreed, that was the second Spyderco I got and it is still a really useful knife and a great value!

Still looking for a DF2 Hawkbill, I just wish I could find one that wasn't Yellow! Maybe it is time to learn to Rit Dye?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my only hawkbill is a ladybug... i don't know if i could only carry such a small knife for a month. i can certainly carry it and only use a bigger knife when necessary.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

You know what, I'll join in! It won't be my only knife, it will be as an addition to my edc fixed blade and I'll use them equally and evaluate their pros and cons in all tasks.

In general, a Spyderedge gives you a hundred small hawkbills even in a leaf shaped blade.

A few days ago I carried the hawkbill all day. We were planting a bunch of stuff and nothing opens bags of soil and fertiliser like a hawkbill. You get a proper kick from something that just stays cutting in the material so effortlessly. It's also perfect for trimming plants! You can easily cut small branches with one hand if you have edge facing inwards.
/ David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I think I could do it as my only carry/EDC knife.
I would probably need to have access to other knives in certain situations, but as my as my only carry knife - should be doable.
I’m quite surprised to come to that conclusion, but for the most part I just open stuff, remove tags, tie wraps, strip some cables etc. All that should be easy peasy. Maybe even easier :eek:

I actually think my Manbug salt has given me a some kind of insight into what a hawkbill can do. As it doesn’t have a flat portion toward the tip like most full SE knives, but rather a small scallop right at the tip that bites into material very effortlessly.
I would think a hawkbill would be a similar experience - just next level.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

This is my most probable carry for June:
Hawkbill in Meadowlark clothing and a LT Wright Next gen.

I really look forward to a longer slimmer Enuff. Or maybe a sprint Street Beat. I wouldn't mind a Spyderco EDC fixed blade but the Enuff is to thick and the SBs VG10 doesn't excite me.

Alcolainen: there isn't many things that a hawkbill can't do! It wouldn't be my choice if I were forced to only keep one knife but I've rarely felt like I couldn't do anything. My wife thinks it looks scary but then again she thought an Ottermesser Anchor knife looked aggressive so you know... :p
/ David
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

I did something like this last summer, when I bought my Tasman Salt. It was my first “real” (non-budget) spydie so it got carried everyday; now I bounce between all of mine regularly. I’ll carry my Tasman everyday as a running knife, but I like all my others too much to commit to this at this point in my collection :D
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Sonorum wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:41 pm
This is my most probable carry for June:
Hawkbill in Meadowlark clothing and a LT Wright Next gen.

I really look forward to a longer slimmer Enuff. Or maybe a sprint Street Beat. I wouldn't mind a Spyderco EDC fixed blade but the Enuff is to thick and the SBs VG10 doesn't excite me.

Alcolainen: there isn't many things that a hawkbill can't do! It wouldn't be my choice if I were forced to only keep one knife but I've rarely felt like I couldn't do anything. My wife thinks it looks scary but then again she thought an Ottermesser Anchor knife looked aggressive so you know... :p
Concidering all the years I got by not EDCing any knife at all, I'll probably do just fine with only a hawkbill :)

Ohh... and the Next gen... very tempting :rolleyes:
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

z1r wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:42 am
Sonorum wrote:

Agreed, that was the second Spyderco I got and it is still a really useful knife and a great value!

Still looking for a DF2 Hawkbill, I just wish I could find one that wasn't Yellow! Maybe it is time to learn to Rit Dye?
I Rit dyed mine black after failing a couple times trying to make it toxic green
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 5:17 pm

Concidering all the years I got by not EDCing any knife at all, I'll probably do just fine with only a hawkbill :)

Ohh... and the Next gen... very tempting :rolleyes:
Sssh don't tell anyone! :rolleyes:

The next gen is really really nice....
/ David