June Hawkbill Challenge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
max808

Re: June Hawkbill Challenge

Post by max808 »

Matriarch still got my back... (indoors only of course in compliance with local regulations)
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:01 pm
For July I'm carrying a Karahawk :D
Being one of the hawkbill authorities on here, would you mind sharing your opinion on the karahawk/spyderhawk and how it compares to a tasman salt in size and serration? Much obliged and have a great day/night.
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

max808 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:52 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Being one of the hawkbill authorities on here, would you mind sharing your opinion on the karahawk/spyderhawk and how it compares to a tasman salt in size and serration? Much obliged and have a great day/night.
I dont have a spyderhawk, but I do have a Tasman and Karahawk. If I remember I'll post a comparison pic tomorrow.

But in short I'll say they are very different knives, despite both being hawkbills. The SE Tasman can saw through tough material, but you can get a lot more leverage and power in your cuts with the Karahawk.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

My Car key knife, ideal for opening packages with other knives inside :) Its a marriage between a Tan Ladybug and a USN Ladybug :)

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

IG-88 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:20 am
My Car key knife, ideal for opening packages with other knives inside :) Its a marriage between a Tan Ladybug and a USN Ladybug :)

Wish they'd make more of the PE ladybug hawkbills. And wish they'd make a PE Dfly hawkbill too. LC200N black and green.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:10 am
Wish they'd make more of the PE ladybug hawkbills. And wish they'd make a PE Dfly hawkbill too. LC200N black and green.
Yeps I would be in right away for a LC200N Ladybug in PE Hawkbill. Its an awesome keychain option, the blade shape is perfect for opening packages and small cutting tasks. I use it all the time and to my knowledge the USN version is the only version with a PE hawkbill. I never understood why this was not made in a regular run in PE. LC200N would be a great upgrade from the H-1 steel! I hope it will come one day in this config
max808

Post by max808 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:59 am
max808 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:52 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
I dont have a spyderhawk, but I do have a Tasman and Karahawk. If I remember I'll post a comparison pic tomorrow.

But in short I'll say they are very different knives, despite both being hawkbills. The SE Tasman can saw through tough material, but you can get a lot more leverage and power in your cuts with the Karahawk.
Thanks, looking forward to that comparison shot. A tasman in h1 is high up on my list since I tend to carry iwb but lack the budget for premium hawkbills. That said I adore seki-city quality and to me their vg-10 is very much a supersteel, I remember back in the day people considered aus-8 to be so exotic around here it was rumored to come straight from the devil's forge 😎. What steel is your karahawk made of?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

max808 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:46 pm
Thanks, looking forward to that comparison shot. A tasman in h1 is high up on my list since I tend to carry iwb but lack the budget for premium hawkbills. That said I adore seki-city quality and to me their vg-10 is very much a supersteel, I remember back in the day people considered aus-8 to be so exotic around here it was rumored to come straight from the devil's forge 😎. What steel is your karahawk made of?
sorry for the delay max808. Here is the size comparison shots. Threw the Dragonfly in there too. The Dfly and Karahawk have the same blade length but very different handles. The Karahawk handle lets you get more power and leverage than either the Tasman or the Dfly. I think the Karahawk is the best cutter of the three for that reason.

max808

Post by max808 »

Thank you for the pictures, please forgive my late reply, have been away for a lil bit. I totally missed the part where the karahawk is actually a karambit, which explains a lot of what you were saying about applying superior force through leverage. Would you say the Spyderhawk compares more to a tasman or even a Merlin then?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

max808 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:38 pm
Thank you for the pictures, please forgive my late reply, have been away for a lil bit. I totally missed the part where the karahawk is actually a karambit, which explains a lot of what you were saying about applying superior force through leverage. Would you say the Spyderhawk compares more to a tasman or even a Merlin then?
Spyderhawk is an extra large Tasman. The same as the Endura is to the Delica.

max808

Post by max808 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:06 pm
max808 wrote:
Ooh, that sounds lovely... you wouldn't happen to have a spare one on hand you wouldn't mind parting with?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

max808 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:04 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
max808 wrote:
Ooh, that sounds lovely... you wouldn't happen to have a spare one on hand you wouldn't mind parting with?
I do not. I still kick myself for not buying one when I had the chance because I wasn't a fan of the orange handles. Should have bought one and dyed it :pleading
Perhaps Spydero will take pity on us and do another run.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:06 pm
max808 wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
max808 wrote:
I do not. I still kick myself for not buying one when I had the chance because I wasn't a fan of the orange handles. Should have bought one and dyed it :pleading
I can't for the life of me understand why Spyderco doesn't target market the SPYDERHAWK for the lawn, garden and landscaping markets. I just did some pruning with one of mine the other day. I guess the price might be a bit lofty for many of the older crowd but if they ever used a serrated version doing gardening work they would grab one I'm certain. And I do agree that the Spyderhawk should be a permanent model in Spyderco's main line up just like the HARPY is.

Also in the fishing and seafaring arena I would make it a point to have a full SE Hawkbill on hand. The HARPY I do believe was originally created for those types of jobs to begin with.

Trying not to be redundant but again if they ever made the Karahawk in full SE I would make it a point to snag one immediately. I don't understand why they don't do every Spyderco Hawkbill in full SE>> I just don't get that one at all. Spyderco's Hawkbills in full SE are capable of so much more with TEETH. You can also put the Superhawk in that same conversation as well.
max808

Post by max808 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
max808 wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
max808 wrote:
Let's hope they will one day. Not a huge fan of the orange either but it is safety orange, however that yellow FRN is simply godawful. :winking-tongue A spyderhawk with black FRN would be the ideal package for me. The alloy part I'm still learning so no suggestions there...
max808

Post by max808 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:40 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
max808 wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:

I can't for the life of me understand why Spyderco doesn't target market the SPYDERHAWK for the lawn, garden and landscaping markets. I just did some pruning with one of mine the other day. I guess the price might be a bit lofty for many of the older crowd but if they ever used a serrated version doing gardening work they would grab one I'm certain. And I do agree that the Spyderhawk should be a permanent model in Spyderco's main line up just like the HARPY is.

Also in the fishing and seafaring arena I would make it a point to have a full SE Hawkbill on hand. The HARPY I do believe was originally created for those types of jobs to begin with.

Trying not to be redundant but again if they ever made the Karahawk in full SE I would make it a point to snag one immediately. I don't understand why they don't do every Spyderco Hawkbill in full SE>> I just don't get that one at all. Spyderco's Hawkbills in full SE are capable of so much more with TEETH. You can also put the Superhawk in that same conversation as well.
Thanks for pitching in JD Spydo, yes to everything you said, you need teeth to bite, that's what my buddy claimed years ago was the reason his spyderedge police would defeat even tough leather with ease. Then that first civilian came along and the rest is history... so that spyderhawk seems to be the next logical step for me.

Do they come in different serration patterns and is there any comparison shots on here? (feel like I've seen your collection somewhere) Also do you have one laying around that you want to cash in on because it doesn't really get the pocket time it deserves? :smiling-halo

Can't blame a guy for trying, right... In my humble opinion your strategy for targeting the landscaping market should earn you a seat on the board of directors over at Golden. Then again the serrated hawkbill stigma will never truly disappear and deep down I'm just grateful that civilians even get access to them, albeit limited. Also if you're opening boxes and packages on a regular basis, accept no substitute.
Last edited by max808 on Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
max808

Post by max808 »

Please forgive me JD Spydo and JRinFL for getting you two mixed up, it seems you occupy the same part of my brain for some reason. :open-grin
max808

Post by max808 »

After doing some studying I am happy to report there is a wealth of information on the spyderhawk including comparison shots and such on here. It sure looks impressive even next to a tasman...
max808

Post by max808 »

After rotating back to my trusted c12 in september it immediately became apparent how much more comfortable it is to carry than that c12sbk2. Even thought it's a bit larger it also has a lower profile and the ergonomic handle rides beautifully on the hip so much so that you forget it's there... After 3 months of discomfort that matriarch now lives in its daddy's pouch next to her Emerson twin. Still on the lookout for baby sister... anyone seen er?
max808

Post by max808 »

max808 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:19 am
After doing some studying I am happy to report there is a wealth of information on the spyderhawk including comparison shots and such on here. It sure looks impressive even next to a tasman...
It sure does...
spyderhawktasman2.jpg
max808

Post by max808 »

Even the square pics come out crooked, but notice there is some room left for a dragonfly and ladybug... :smiling-halo