Delica 4 in 2021?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
standy99

Re: Delica 4 in 2021?

Post by standy99 »

Have a Delica and a Para 3 and would say the Para 3 in G10 is the winner.
I would prefer a Native 5 over a Para 3 light weight.

So you have personal fit and feel that comes into so many knives. Best way is to handle them as asking people on a forum is going to get you like above, recommendation for three knives you didn’t have on your radar.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
sandalian

Post by sandalian »

Hi Adam,

If you want thicker blade than Tenacious (3mm), go with Para 3 (3.8mm). It's well made and also look pretty.

But if you want the thinner blade or almost similar as Tenacious, go with Delica (2.5mm).
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Maybe too late to chime in. I’ve had all the knives mentioned. First as a user I much prefer back lock over compression lock because I found that it’s easier to close one handed. Repositioning my hand for the compression lock causes me to drop the knife a bunch.

Delica is slicier than para 3 and wins over the chaparral because I find the back lock on the chaparral so thin that it hurts my thumb to close.

Dragonfly is just awesome and comfortable but I see it as a companion to the delica and not an either or. Dragonfly is what I use when I travel or ride the bike. Delica is what I use during the typical day.

Consider k390 versions if your wallet and operating environment allow for it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:23 pm
Maybe too late to chime in. I’ve had all the knives mentioned. First as a user I much prefer back lock over compression lock because I found that it’s easier to close one handed. Repositioning my hand for the compression lock causes me to drop the knife a bunch.

Delica is slicier than para 3 and wins over the chaparral because I find the back lock on the chaparral so thin that it hurts my thumb to close.
That's one of the reasons why for me backlock (and also linerlock) are safer locks than the comp.lock if considering all factors of "safety" in all conditions.

/ You could make the action of your Chap less stiff (and by that less "thumb hurting") quite easily, see here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80687#p1253309
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:40 pm
/ You could make the action of your Chap less stiff (and by that less "thumb hurting") quite easily, see here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80687#p1253309
Gah! That’s awesome. Wish I saw that before I sold it. Loved the chap LW but wanted to throw it out the window every time I had to close it.

Maybe I’ll revisit at some point.
FK

Post by FK »

My choice is the Delica,,,, large variety of steels, nice feeling in hand,,, thin blade stock. Any of the steels offered will sharpen nicely. Carry one daily, in winter in upper LH shirt pocket, summer on belt RH side in soft nylon pouch by Victorinox.
Have the DF with HAP-40 steel, very nice thin blade and easy to sharpen,, the handle it too small for comfort. Wire clip is not very secure for carry.

Tried the Chap,,,, lockbar spring is ridiculously hard to disengage for closing,,,, poor design IMHO.

Regards,
FK
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FK wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:18 am

Tried the Chap,,,, lockbar spring is ridiculously hard to disengage for closing,,,, poor design IMHO.

Regards,
FK
Again: There is an easy fix if one does not like the stiffer lockbar of the Chap: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80687#p1253309
But of course I can understand that many might want a "softer" lock right from the factory.

My Chap did break in nicely without any "modding".
In return for the a bit stiffer action one gets an amazingly solid, absolutely blade play free backlock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)