Delica 4 in 2021?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
adam_bruha

Delica 4 in 2021?

Post by adam_bruha »

Hi guys,

I currently own the Tenacious and want something smaller and better in quality as my main edc and use the Tenacious as a beater knife. I can get the Delica 4 for 110 dollars where I live or the Para 3 LW for 145 dollars (best deals online, welcome to Europe). I like the choil, steel, action and locking mechanism on the Para, but the blade thickness, weight, size and looks of the Delica appeal to me a lot more. I care about the looks quite a lot, but I don't want to be disappointed in a few weeks or months, that I could've had almost the same thing, just upgraded. Is the Para worth the extra 35 dollars? I've tried to decide as if the two were the same price, but that didn't help.

Thanks
Holland

Re: Delica 4 in 2021?

Post by Holland »

The para3 is a better made knife in terms of fit and finish (not that the delica is lacking) and has a better fidget factor.

But my preference of the two is the delica. The blade is a lot thinner and much better slicer than the Para3 from my experience.

Another option you could consider would he the chaparral frn. The fit and finish is better than the Para3 and a lot better than the delica from my experience (I've had ~6 chaparrals, ~12 delicas, 2 Para3s).

The chaparral is my favourite of the three I mentioned
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Holland wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:15 pm
The para3 is a better made knife in terms of fit and finish (not that the delica is lacking) and has a better fidget factor.

But my preference of the two is the delica. The blade is a lot thinner and much better slicer than the Para3 from my experience.

Another option you could consider would he the chaparral frn. The fit and finish is better than the Para3 and a lot better than the delica from my experience (I've had ~6 chaparrals, ~12 delicas, 2 Para3s).

The chaparral is my favourite of the three I mentioned
i was about to comment the exact same three points.

edit: also, welcome! :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hi and welcome.

I like both knives, but prefer the Delica just a little more than the Para 3. Others are just the opposite. If you can handle both before buying, that would be best. Your hand will tell you which one to get first.

Also, there a lot of used Delicas to be found and that might be a good choice. It let's you try it without paying new prices and you can always sell it again for about what you paid.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Either one is nice. Seriously. You can't go wrong. You also might look at the Endela or RockJumper.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
z1r

Post by z1r »

So, my first Delica was a Wharnncliffe I picked up because the price was so good. Don't like it, I picked up a another in ZDP-189 and like it lots more. That said, I'm on the prowl for a K390 Endela just cuz, my Chaparral has a blade nearly as long as the Delica and I prefer it more, or the Native which just feels so nice in hand. I like the Para but it just doesn't feel as trim to me as either the Delica or Endela, or even the Native.

I'd recommend you try both in hand before buying. Cost aside, the one that feels best to you will bring you more joy in the long run! It's nice that Spyderco has so many options to choose from.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I agree with others about the Chaparral FRN. You get a blade that’s almost the same size as the Delica, but with a thinner blade stock and unbeatable fit & finish.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Both cool knives, but I personally prefer the Delica by far. Thinner bladestock (the Para 3 has a really thick blade for such a small folder), better slicer, for me better and safer locktype, WITH liners as light as the linerless Para 3 "lighweight" and a lot lighter than the G10 Para 3, more space on the actual handle (the Para 3 forces my hand to use the choil), but still a Ricasso to choke up on.

Since you obviously like light weight: Consider the linerless and totally rustproof version of the Delica, the Salt 2 ffg in LC200N.
As light as a BM bugout, but a strong knife and especially in SE (= serrated edge) an amazing performer

If you do want a comp.lock: The Sage 5 LW would be my choice in that size category. Thinner blade, better handle than the Para 3 imho.

And yes, the Chap FRN is a great knife!! Just one step smaller than Delica and Para 3
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I’ve had both, but the Para 3 became one of only two Spydies I’ve ever sent down the road. Kept my ZDP Delica and Salt 2 in LC200N and I love them both.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Have you considered the sage 5 lw?
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
adam_bruha

Post by adam_bruha »

First off all, thanks to everyone!!

I've totally randomly decided to buy the Dragonfly 2 and currently am testing it. I don't know whether I'll keep it, or sell it to a friend of mine, who wants one. I've never had such a small knife.

Anyway, I've probably passed the Delica and if I sell the DF I'll probably go with the Para 3, Native 5, or Chaparral (everything in FRN of course) I just really don't like the look of the Para 3 handle, otherwise I think it's the perfect one from these ones...
I'll just test out the DF and see if it is for me, if not I'll now what to change and which one to get.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Just get whatever makes you happy. The Delica is the better user for EDC, the P3LW is more fun (and very different handle). I do agree that you should also check out Chaparral and Sage 5 LW.

For me - the Delica just does not trigger my fancy - I prefer back locks with larger/heavier blades (Native Chief is an excellent example). I will be sooner or later get “a” Para 3 LW. Had it once briefly and just loved it (BD1N can be had for 115€ in DE).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Chap if your usage suits it. It’s better than a Delica until you need to apply a lot of force. The Chap is the more satisfying knife.

Honestly at those prices I would be cross shopping other brands.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

adam_bruha wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:46 am

Anyway, I've probably passed the Delica and if I sell the DF I'll probably go with the Para 3, Native 5, or Chaparral (everything in FRN of course) I just really don't like the look of the Para 3 handle, otherwise I think it's the perfect one from these ones...
I'll just test out the DF and see if it is for me, if not I'll now what to change and which one to get.
Out of these 3 and as the smaller alternative to your Tenacious I'd strongly recommend the Chaparral. Practically the same cutting edge length as the Native, but a better slicer with its pretty uniquely thin, but strong ffg blade.
The Para 3 on the other hand has even thicker blade stock than your larger Tenacious, so I personally think the Chap makes more sense as a companion to - and offering-something-different than the Tenacious (and as icing on the cake you get Spydercos perhaps best backlock and amazing build quality)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

If you want a comp lock knife with the choil and thinner blade stock get a Sage 5 LW. It's the better Para 3 LW.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Adam,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

For a light folder with FRN scales and a blade length of 3” (76mm) or less you have quite a few choices with different locking mechanisms and USD pricing (blade steel and country of manufacture are factors):

• Delica4 VG-10 Back Lock Japan $84.00
  • Delica4 CPM-S30V Back Lock Japan $122.50
  • Salt2 LC200N Back Lock Japan $116.20
  • Para3 CTS-BD1N Compression Lock USA $105.00
  • Para3 SPY-27 Compression Lock USA $140.00
  • Native5 CPM-S30V Back Lock USA $108.50
  • Native5 LC200N Back Lock USA $130.20
  • Sage5 CPM-S30V Compression Lock Taiwan $122.50
  • Chaparral CTS-XHP Back Lock Taiwan $95.90
In terms of quality I rate them: Taiwan, USA, Japan. I recommend one of the Taiwan models above specially the Chaparral. If you have a need for extreme corrosion resistance pick one of the LC200N options.
Last edited by RamZar on Fri May 28, 2021 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

edit
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Dragonflies are like popcorn. Once you get one, you have to have a bunch of them.

I have two Chaparrals and three Delicas. I have zero Para 3's.

If you can find a Caly 3 you'll be happy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 4:39 pm
If you want a comp lock knife with the choil and thinner blade stock get a Sage 5 LW. It's the better Para 3 LW.

+1
OP, did you actually look into the Sage 5 LW? Got recommended several times here already.
Especially since you say that you (quoting you) "just really don't like the look of the Para 3 handle" the Sage could be the knife for you - not only a imho better handle (not only by looks, but also just by design), but as ugaarguy says also a thinner blade (while still being more on the thick and sturdy side for a small folder)