I will now EDC a Jumpmaster 2 for 1 year (on hold until further notice)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naperville

Re: I will now EDC a Jumpmaster 2 for 1 year

Post by Naperville »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:45 am
Well I'm back at it today. Saturday I just couldn't work out a carry method that felt right so I threw in the towel and carried my Police instead so technically... experiment busted.

But, for work I'm finding that I rather like it. I'm finding that the handle size especially is nice even though it's big and somewhat bulky, it feels a lot more substantial when reaching for it. I love the hook at the butt of the handle, it feels like I couldn't fail to draw this knife as long as one of my fingers catches that hook.

I also really like the blade length. I'm thinking the Police 4 and Resilience are really going to suit me.

This may turn out to be my preferred work carry, and then just not work well for casual off days at least in the summer when I'm wearing thinner layers.

I still haven't sharpened it. I've used it to cut open a few packages, and cut up a couple padded envelopes. The plain edge is starting to dull so it seems like the edge retention there is the same old H1 affair.
Lose fitting Hawaiian shirts are making a comeback and they would be good cover for a small knife like that and a sidearm. I'm thinking of getting a few.

Have you tried a Hawaiian shirt?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I can't seem to find the pictures but I've carried a fixed blade with a dangler on the sheath in my pocket. The handle stuck out but the knife would move when I sat down and anything else. It was a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be. Also made resheathing a lot easier. Of course if you had anything else in the pocket it wasn't easy to access.

Found it.

Last edited by VashHash on Mon May 24, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Naperville wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:22 am

With a screen name like this you're asking me that?

:D

Uh no, but I do have some looser short sleeve button ups that'll get the job done. I can conceal my Glock 43 no problem but the way that has been most comfortable to carry this knife doesn't work as well.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:04 am
Naperville wrote:

Uh no, but I do have some looser short sleeve button ups that'll get the job done. I can conceal my Glock 43 no problem but the way that has been most comfortable to carry this knife doesn't work as well.
nothing goes with cutoff bdu shorts like a bright hawaiian shirt. i think you should give it a try. maybe one like this...
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

VashHash wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:00 am
I can't seem to find the pictures but I've carried a fixed blade with a dangler on the sheath in my pocket. The handle stuck out but the knife would move when I sat down and anything else. It was a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be. Also made resheathing a lot easier. Of course if you had anything else in the pocket it wasn't easy to access.

Found it.

I came here to recommend this way of carrying. With a kydex sheath you can use paracord to dangle the sheath at an optimal level. It's worked great with the latest fixed blade I've been carrying. Works both as a static cord and a pocket sheath.
/ David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 2:34 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 1:32 am

/ Largest full SE Spydie so far? Police? Millie?

I think of all knives folding and fixed it's probably the Aqua Salt at 4.40 inch edge length. For folders I believe the Resilience will be the longest at 4.25 inch. Current longest folder is probably the stainless Police but apparently that one is only available in combo edge now.
I think this is something Spyderco needs to remedy.

We need a 5" Military or Yojimbo with Full SE.
Calling a knife like that a monster wouldn't be doing it justice, it would be the Kaiju of Folding Knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So I got the Pocket Shield and tried it out. It's probably not going to work for my job but it's a pretty cool method for keeping the sheath/knife oriented in whatever position you want it in.

I trimmed one side so it was shaped more like my pocket, and played around until I got it positioned how I liked it.

Here it is with the one I made out of cardboard for my Street Beat.

It works pretty well but I don't like it for seated positions and resheathing. I think overall appendix carry is going to be my preferred position, and this just may be too big of a knife for that.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Forgot to add... It's super easy to cut your pants and potentially your leg drawing from a pocket like this..

I would like it a lot more for scenarios where I'm doing more standing. It may also work better in jeans style pockets.

~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

That's one reason I like my Street Beat pocket carry system. It rides low while not in use which is more comfortable than putting a stock g clip on the sheath and clipping it to my pocket, but when I need to draw it I can pull the sheath out a bit then pop the knife out.

Good luck. Figuring out the best carry method for a fixed blade is the biggest challenge to EDCing one. Depends on a lot of variables too like concealment laws, body size & shape, etc.

PS - I dig that US made photo. Gets old seeing "designed in USA, made in china" or "made in USA with imported (chinese) materials" type of pandering.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Alright I'm back in the game.

I'm pretty sure someone suggested something like this but I don't remember who, maybe it's a combination of suggestions I dunno, but I think I like this the best of all that I've tried so far.

I ditched the G-Clip for paracord and have it tied a little on the loose side so it can be rotated a little bit which really helps with sitting down and drawing/sheathing while sitting.

I did have to drill some holes but I had already made them to try mounting the G-Clip on the other side of the sheath. I'm happy with how much it conceals and how easy it is to draw. I'll give this a go for a while and see how I like it.
~David
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:11 am
Evil D wrote:
Naperville wrote:

nothing goes with cutoff bdu shorts like a bright hawaiian shirt. i think you should give it a try. maybe one like this...
I can't believe someone made a Hawaiian shirt with grenades on it and they aren't pineapple grenades. I mean come on, people, do I have to think of everything?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😂😂😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:52 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:11 am
Evil D wrote:
Naperville wrote:

I can't believe someone made a Hawaiian shirt with grenades on it and they aren't pineapple grenades. I mean come on, people, do I have to think of everything?
i thought the same thing. some people...
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Pineapple grenades are a traditional welcome and hospitality symbol. ;)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:21 pm
I have this knife. Is anyone interested in seeing it in K390 with serrations? Spyderco is in to serrating K390 and I'd like to see it in a high performance steel with serrations.

Just wondering out loud.
Many of these supersteels that excel with a plain edge don't always do well in SE unfortunately. ZDP-189 immediately comes to mind in that comparison. Spyderco had to halt production of the Endura SE in ZDP-189 due to excessive chipping and some other problems with that steel having brittle properties which don't bode well for Spyderedges.

However I have had good results with XHP in full SE and that actually surprised me. But several of those high end steels that excel in PE don't do so well with a set of teeth unfortunately. Whereas many of the older steels that didn't do so well in plain edges did really well in Spyderedged units. Some examples of that are AUS-8, ATS-55, and GIN-1 to name a few. VG-10 on the other hand does well in both edge types.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:53 pm
Naperville wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:21 pm
I have this knife. Is anyone interested in seeing it in K390 with serrations? Spyderco is in to serrating K390 and I'd like to see it in a high performance steel with serrations.

Just wondering out loud.
Many of these supersteels that excel with a plain edge don't always do well in SE unfortunately. ZDP-189 immediately comes to mind in that comparison. Spyderco had to halt production of the Endura SE in ZDP-189 due to excessive chipping and some other problems with that steel having brittle properties which don't bode well for Spyderedges.

However I have had good results with XHP in full SE and that actually surprised me. But several of those high end steels that excel in PE don't do so well with a set of teeth unfortunately. Whereas many of the older steels that didn't do so well in plain edges did really well in Spyderedged units. Some examples of that are AUS-8, ATS-55, and GIN-1 to name a few. VG-10 on the other hand does well in both edge types.
Maybe. But what would explain all of the SE K390 knives?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really hope Sal and the gang did their homework with the SE K390, I'd hate to see a SE ZDP episode all over again. I've got high hopes to say the least.
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 3:23 pm
I really hope Sal and the gang did their homework with the SE K390, I'd hate to see a SE ZDP episode all over again. I've got high hopes to say the least.
Makes two of us. If the SE K390 knives perform well, they are a breakthrough!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Did a little yard work, between dodging the cicadas lol.

It'll swipe through branches like that in one swing. I can't wait to reprofile this thing.
~David