I will now EDC a Jumpmaster 2 for 1 year (on hold until further notice)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

I will now EDC a Jumpmaster 2 for 1 year (on hold until further notice)

Post by Evil D »

Or at least that's the plan. Or, maybe not a year but at the very least until I get a SE K390 Police 4 in my hands to test which will likely be a few months. I've got two main goals with this "test":

Goal #1:
I'm going to force myself out of my comfort zone and find a way to carry a fixed blade everyday. And I mean everyday. I've gone so far as to lock up all my other knives in a chest. This is going to be the ONLY knife I have and use, even in the kitchen. It's going to be on my body one way or another at all times of the day unless I'm asleep or showering (ya'll don't need shower pics even if it is a Salt model :rolleyes: ). Whether I'm opening my mail, eating dinner or doing yard work, this will be my only knife to do it with.

Goal #2:
I'm going to put the legendary "Jumpmaster SE H1 edge retention" to the test and see just how long this knife will hold an edge. This may well be the most challenging part for me, since I obsess over keeping my serrations sharp, so letting them dull is going to be a challenge. I'm going to try to keep track of as much stuff that I cut as I can and periodically test sharpness. I wanted to buy an edge tester but I spent all my money on a knife (lol) so my test will be to see how easily the edge still push cuts/slices various paper from phone book to printer.

I'm starting out with the factory edge, which was very sharp but didn't push cut quite as well as I would have liked a new edge. It'll still shave hair with no problem.

First impressions right out of the box, I'm a little shocked at how narrow the handle is. I was expecting it to be a lot roomier, but it just barely fits my hand.

If the guards at each end of the handle weren't so pronounced, my hand would surely expand out beyond them but my hand locks in place very securely. No chance your hand is slipping off this knife.

Compared to a Caribbean, the difference is surprising.

I had hoped this would be a sort of "Caribbean fixed blade" and for the most part it is, but I didn't expect the handle to be that tight.

I was also surprised at how small the serrations are, being a good bit shorter in length than the Caribbean. Granted my Caribbean has been reprofiled quite a bit, I don't think the overall length of each serration was changed very much. The Jumpmaster's teeth are fairly shallow though so I think they'll be less snag prone overall and will reprofile up nicely. If nothing else it's more serrations per inch. I wonder if that has anything to do with the increased hardness and edge retention?

Anyway, we'll see how this goes. First and foremost I have to sort out a carry method that will work in as many scenarios as possible. I really like the access and convenience of this here, but it's a bit on the large side to have in this spot. I can hide it with a shirt but just barely.

I've got some suggestions that I'll be trying out this weekend but I'm fully committed to this idea so it's all or nothing.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Re: I will now EDC a Jumpmaster 2 for 1 year

Post by Evil D »

Right out of the gate we're doing some food prep :D

Or rather, food consumption. Lets just say edge retention did pretty ok ;)

I did mange to ding up the edge a bit feeling around in that T-bone for the bone.

I wonder if this increased hardness will also change how the edge handles damage? Supposedly this knife (or wasn't it technically the Jumpmaster 1?) tested somewhere in the high 60s in hardness, so I wonder if H1 will be more prone to chipping at that hardness? I'm also anxious to see how it sharpens but I'm going to do my very best to leave the edge alone until it gets to the point of snagging on everything, and then I'll probably cave and sharpen it.
Last edited by Evil D on Thu May 20, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Cool. Goodluck.

Yeah, the handle on the jumpmaster really locks your hand in. Becaise of this I prefer the Aqua salt for general purpose stuff.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’m interested to see how this test progresses over time. At this point, the Jumpmaster 2 is probably the only Spyderco fixed blade I have an interest in one day acquiring.

Jim
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Subscribing to thread :)
I've really grown to like carrying a fixed blade since getting the ARK last summer. Looking forward to your updates!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi David,

Looking forward to your comments.

sal
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Exciting thread, thank you!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Awesome D, will be following this thread with great interest!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'll be watching this thread.

I struggle with EDCing the FRN bi-directional scaled fixed blades like my Aqua Salt. Works fine on my belt when hiking, but for day to day I like a more discreet carry method. It's a bit large for pocket carry like I do with my street beat and the scales are too scratchy for IWB.

I'd probably settle on horizontal carry like you. However I never use G-clips for that carry method. I've found using a few paracord loops at either end of the sheath gives a more secure hold. The knife is less likely to tip in either direction, and the paracord pulls it closer to my belt so its less likely to get hung up on things.

I'd consider giving that a tryif you stick with that carry method.
:unicorn
Zive

Post by Zive »

Subbed. Love my Jumpmaster 2 but have been specific with when I carry mine.

Looking forward to hearing some stories, David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Jumpmaster 2 is in my Get Home Bag, so I'll be following this thread too.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Just a suggestion for carry, feel free to ignore. I have most of my fixed blades set up for small of the back horizontal carry. I wear a heavy gun belt, and when I clip a Spyderco G-clip on that sucker it doesn't move. Put the clip just left of the center belt loop on my cargo pants, handle pointing to the right and blade edge up. Handier and more comfortable than it probably sounds and will conceal under an untucked shirt tail.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Very interested to hear your thoughts on the edge retention of this knife vs other serrated H1 knives you use.
-Nick :bug-red
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

I carry mine IWB but it's on the big side for that, so it doesn't get carried too often. I get it out for days when I'll be working with it, camping, that kind of stuff. I do frequently carry fixed but tend to go with the Street Beat or one of my Perrin customs. You'll probably get used to it pretty quickly.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

dude, that's ambitious. i'm looking forward to seeing how this goes, although i already have some guesses. i was considering doing something similar with the enuff, but i need to step up my posting game. haha
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Why did I move mine on?!! Subbed for this thread for sure!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Ooh this’ll be interesting.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 6:54 pm
Just a suggestion for carry, feel free to ignore. I have most of my fixed blades set up for small of the back horizontal carry. I wear a heavy gun belt, and when I clip a Spyderco G-clip on that sucker it doesn't move. Put the clip just left of the center belt loop on my cargo pants, handle pointing to the right and blade edge up. Handier and more comfortable than it probably sounds and will conceal under an untucked shirt tail.
I've never tried that mounting position. I've heard good and bad things about it.

Is it comfortable or possible to drive a car with bucket seats?

Thanks!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have this knife. Is anyone interested in seeing it in K390 with serrations? Spyderco is in to serrating K390 and I'd like to see it in a high performance steel with serrations.

Just wondering out loud.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I guess it depends who you ask but it already is in a high performance steel with serrations. ;)
-Nick :bug-red