I will now EDC a Jumpmaster 2 for 1 year (on hold until further notice)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: I will now EDC a Jumpmaster 2 for 1 year

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 2:28 am
Joshua J. wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 11:27 pm
Scary that the Police 4 only has 2mm less edge length than the Jumpmaster.

Can't wait for the Full SE K390 Police 4.

Don´t forget the upcoming S35VN Resilience SE... actually 4mm MORE edge length than the Jumpmaster and still a more compact carry than the Police (11 mm shorter when closed).

/ On the Jumpmaster: David, the Ricasso looks to be wide enough for offering a nice place to choke up on, and even more comfortable than on an Endura Ricasso, since it is "flatter" (does not create a point) on the JM - true in your use?

The more I look at the Resilience, the more excited I get. I really hope the fit and finish are good.

As for the ricasso, I immediately started asking myself why they didn't either shape that into a choil or just bring the edge further back to the handle. You CAN use it as a choil, and if you have smaller/thinner fingers than I do it would probably work pretty well but I would have to be very careful to keep my finger from getting onto the edge.

If you can comfortably use the ricasso on a Delica as a choil, then you'd probably be fine with this too. I tried that with a Salt 2 after the last time we talked about it and it's just way too small for me and puts my fingers in a weird position.

I REALLY wish they had made the ricasso more like the Temperance 2. I feel like the Jumpmaster has a potential snag point there and I really don't like that. At least compared to most folders, the ricasso area is more flat and seems like material can slide forward into the edge, whereas on a folder the ricasso is angled downward and material tends to slide backwards towards the handle and gets hung up. The way the Temp 2 is designed completely prevents the possibility of anything snagging in that area and even creates a little ramp where material will slide directly into the edge.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 11:13 pm
vivi wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:11 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 6:35 pm
I’m interested to hear what David learns from his experiment. I couldn’t legally do that here, as CA outlaws concealed carry of a fixed blade, even for CCW holders. The downsides I see (aside from legal) are overall length and risk of knife injury if it accidentally exits its sheath. Nevertheless, were it legal, I’d give it a try.
Isn't open carry legal there?
In a lot of places 'concealment' is up to the discretion of the individual officer, so people can be arrested for 'concealed' carry even if the knife is fully visible.
I'm not even in California and I've heard a police officer say "The blade is concealed by the sheath, so the knife is concealed." Don't know if it would hold up in court but I wouldn't risk it.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Cool thread and idea. I edc smaller fixed blades often and enjoy it. Usually paired with a folder. I will be watching this thread to see how it goes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well this little experiment is about to turn into an edge retention test more so than a carry test. The static line carry method just isn't going to work for me, or at least for a knife this size. The sheath ends up way into my groin area and the handle is into my gut, and sitting down is nearly impossible.

I also tried just straight up on my hip at 3:00...no dice. There's way too much going on over there, I have to pull my shirt up way too high and the draw is way too high up into my armpit to get it unsheathed:

I've seen so many pics of people carrying like that but I don't see how it's at all convenient. Right now it seems like appendix/scout is the only viable method for this size knife and even that is really pushing it with printing under my shirt. I've got a pocket holster thing coming in the mail to try out, but judging by how it sits loose in my pocket, that may not work either:

So, unless that pocket deal ends up working, I may have bitten off way more than is even chewable for this size knife :(
~David
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Wartstein wrote:
Joshua J. wrote:
Scary that the Police 4 only has 2mm less edge length than the Jumpmaster.

Can't wait for the Full SE K390 Police 4.

Don´t forget the upcoming S35VN Resilience SE... actually 4mm MORE edge length than the Jumpmaster and still a more compact carry than the Police (11 mm shorter when closed).
Trading away K390 for one extra scallop doesn't sound very appealing.
For the price the Resilience is an amazing knife of course, I loved mine when I had one, we just need a more complete package.
Either a 5" Resilience or a K390 Resilience would be interesting.
At 5" it should have a Compression Lock though, I guess that complicates things.
On the other hand if the Chinese can work S35VN to Sal's satisfaction now maybe K390 isn't that far behind.
(Side note: I can also dream of a Full SE K390/Maxamet Yojumbo. In fact I would prefer it over all the other options.)

What is the largest consumer market Full SE knife Spyderco has ever made anyway?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Evil D wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:36 am
So, unless that pocket deal ends up working, I may have bitten off way more than is even chewable for this size knife :(
You still have the neck carry option :D
Or a shoulder strap - don't really know the name of that thing, like old detectives used their holsters under the coat :D
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Evil D wrote: ...

I also tried just straight up on my hip at 3:00...no dice. There's way too much going on over there, I have to pull my shirt up way too high and the draw is way too high up into my armpit to get it unsheathed:

I've seen so many pics of people carrying like that but I don't see how it's at all convenient.
Any large knife with a high riding sheath (which seems to be most of spydercos sheaths) can be pretty bad in the standard 3 o clock and 9 o clock right and left side carry positions.

I love the knife but the province is a huge offender for this.

Heres what I do.

Flip the sheath. Flip it so the g clip/ belt loop is facing out and the rest of the sheath is between your belt and pants.(OR put the g clip on the other side if you dont want the sheath between your belt and pants, this is better for resheathing anyways,and also has no risk of curting your belt. You can also play around with putting the g clip at a 45° angle but might not need to.)Then put your hand on the handle and draw the knife slightly up but pretty much forward.This puts you in a tip down edge out position, which while not great for utility, is my preferred self defense knife grip. The draw is soooo much quicker and easier than the standard draw.

If youre willing to change from tip down to tip up after you draw then theres no big deal.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
vivi

Post by vivi »

Drawing from reverse grip at 3 o clock with a high mounted sheath is easier, can confirm.

You could try the static line at 3 o clock to avoid poking the jewels. You can rig it so it carries deeper than the g clip.

You can make a quick dangler setup with paracord to see if you prefer a lower riding OWB carry. Won't conceal worth a **** but would be easier to draw. I usually carry my hiking fixed blades in a setup like this.

I think you're going through the same experience I did with carrying larger fixed blades. I realized if it didn't fold I needed to not expect Police / Military amounts of cutting edge.

While carrying something this size can take some figuring out and tbh sometimes feel like a burden, something like a Swick, Street Beat or Izula 2 is effortless in comparison to carry.

I think the Ronin 2 and Street Bowie are the longest fixed blades I've carried with regularity. I prefer carrying them both IWB 3 o clock when they're with me.
:unicorn
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I jumped on the catalog yesterday but they're out of stock :(
I'll buy one in a hot minute!
Naperville wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 11:57 pm
sal wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:38 pm
Heck David, I'd be happy with 6 months.

Hi Naperville, Never say never. Variations of any model always depend on demand.

For those that done know, David came out of the womb with a torx wrench in his left hand. ;)

sal
Thank you Sal. I was only hoping that you saw the post.

BUY JUMPMASTERS FOLKS!!! LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

vivi wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:11 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 6:35 pm
I’m interested to hear what David learns from his experiment. I couldn’t legally do that here, as CA outlaws concealed carry of a fixed blade, even for CCW holders. The downsides I see (aside from legal) are overall length and risk of knife injury if it accidentally exits its sheath. Nevertheless, were it legal, I’d give it a try.

Isn't open carry legal there?
Yes, open carry is legal here, but in a NPE it attracts a lot of attention I neither need nor want.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 12:05 pm
I jumped on the catalog yesterday but they're out of stock :(
I'll buy one in a hot minute!
In stock at KnifeCenter!

It is a great little knife! I have one and may buy more, but I'd love to see it in M390 too. I'll buy 2 or 3 in M390!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Awesome!!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

We're coming up on summer, so not the best. But in winter as someone else suggested a shoulder holster for your knife works great. Worn over a t-shirt and under something like a flannel.

That's how I used to carry my fixed blade, when I was able to carry a fixed blade. Not permissible where I'm at now.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Has gripping the knife in your teeth, while saying “Arrrh!” been discussed yet? Eye patch is optional, as are burning punks in your beard. 🏴☠️
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😂👍👍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Joshua J. wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:44 am
What is the largest consumer market Full SE knife Spyderco has ever made anyway?
Not including the Whale rescue blade or the culinary lines ups, currently it looks like the Aqua Salt leads the Spyderedge length category with a 4.70" (119mm) blade and 4.40" (112mm) edge length. For folders it's the Police with a 4.125" (104mm) blade and 3.812" (97mm) edge length. The Police 4 LW will have a 4.38" (111mm) blade with 3.97" (101mm) edge and when the Resilience LW comes out it will have a shorter blade but longer edge at 4.25 " (108mm) for both measurements.
All time... Maybe the Catcherman with 4.75" (121mm) blade and 4.31" (111mm) edge. I'm not sure on all time fixed blade though. :spyder:

Edit: i couldn't find a Spyderedge fixed blade longer than the Aqua Salt.
Last edited by Buddafucco on Sun May 23, 2021 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
•• Beau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshua J. wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:44 am
Wartstein wrote:
Joshua J. wrote:

Trading away K390 for one extra scallop doesn't sound very appealing.
For the price the Resilience is an amazing knife of course, I loved mine when I had one, we just need a more complete package.
Either a 5" Resilience or a K390 Resilience would be interesting.
At 5" it should have a Compression Lock though, I guess that complicates things.
On the other hand if the Chinese can work S35VN to Sal's satisfaction now maybe K390 isn't that far behind.
(Side note: I can also dream of a Full SE K390/Maxamet Yojumbo. In fact I would prefer it over all the other options.)

I am not sure if I'd really prefer K390 SE over S35VN SE... I have a feeling that for SE perhaps a decently, but not TOO hard steel might be preferable?! We'll see... :)

/ I think a good linerlock can easily handle a 5 " blade and a comp.lock is not necessary (though admittedly I never had such a knife). And the (for me!) superior linerlock is one of the great festures of the "Tenacious family".

/ Largest full SE Spydie so far? Police? Millie?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 1:32 am

/ Largest full SE Spydie so far? Police? Millie?

I think of all knives folding and fixed it's probably the Aqua Salt at 4.40 inch edge length. For folders I believe the Resilience will be the longest at 4.25 inch. Current longest folder is probably the stainless Police but apparently that one is only available in combo edge now.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well I'm back at it today. Saturday I just couldn't work out a carry method that felt right so I threw in the towel and carried my Police instead so technically... experiment busted.

But, for work I'm finding that I rather like it. I'm finding that the handle size especially is nice even though it's big and somewhat bulky, it feels a lot more substantial when reaching for it. I love the hook at the butt of the handle, it feels like I couldn't fail to draw this knife as long as one of my fingers catches that hook.

I also really like the blade length. I'm thinking the Police 4 and Resilience are really going to suit me.

This may turn out to be my preferred work carry, and then just not work well for casual off days at least in the summer when I'm wearing thinner layers.

I still haven't sharpened it. I've used it to cut open a few packages, and cut up a couple padded envelopes. The plain edge is starting to dull so it seems like the edge retention there is the same old H1 affair.
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

Have you tried a Manix 2 XL or a C95 Manix? They have a hook at the end of the handle, but it's only useful once you get it opened.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!