I will now EDC a Jumpmaster 2 for 1 year (on hold until further notice)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Leksy

Re: I will now EDC a Jumpmaster 2 for 1 year (or until I get some SE K390 ;)

Post by Leksy »

The edge with inclusive 15 degrees will get dull super fast, won't it?
I didn't try it on H1, but my LC200N with 21 deg. has relatively bad edge retention - after breaking just a pair of cardboard boxes, the very tip can't make a clean paper cut.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Leksy wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:34 am
I didn't try it on H1, but my LC200N with 21 deg. has relatively bad edge retention - after breaking just a pair of cardboard boxes, the very tip can't make a clean paper cut.

Yes and no, depends on what you're cutting. If an edge is thin enough, for example I've got a reground Military that's 0.010 behind the edge, and that knife will cut cardboard indefinitely even with a dull edge because the edge is so thin. At the same time it may not cut manilla rope worth a crap. The carving I did yesterday was mostly with a dull blade, and it'll keep carving like that for a very very long time. Having a thinner edge also makes touch ups fast and easy. I probably only lowered the primary bevel a couple degrees off what it was from the factory and then I've raised the angle in the back a little since it was originally a chisel grind, so all in all the inclusive angle is probably about the same, I'd say somewhere above 15 but below 20-25.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Leksy wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:34 am
I've been carrying H1 for years with a 15 degree edge without any durability problems. Working on getting an LC200N Pacific Salt to 15 degrees to see how it holds up.
:unicorn
Leksy

Post by Leksy »

After all, I decided to convex it. Have used flat side of medium and fine rods, and white Dialux on a leather strop. Result is almost mirror convex tip, it's much easier to touch up now.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I did say I'd use it for everything..

~David
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

LOL, I could have sworn you locked yourself in to a year when you started this thread, but now I see some SE K390 has made an appearance, at least I think so. Did you edit the title or did it start out that way? Either way is of course ok; I'm just checking my mental acuity here as I am definitely getting older.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

on_the_edge wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:19 pm
LOL, I could have sworn you locked yourself in to a year when you started this thread, but now I see some SE K390 has made an appearance, at least I think so. Did you edit the title or did it start out that way? Either way is of course ok; I'm just checking my mental acuity here as I am definitely getting older.

That was my easy out from the start, but at this point I think this will be my dedicated work knife, or at least a fixed blade will be if something I like more comes along. There's a major advantage with drawing this knife in an emergency and I really like that over a folder. I realized shortly after making this thread that the SE K390 was something I couldn't just avoid so that was going to break the streak regardless of how successful this carry experiment was.
~David
kobold

Post by kobold »

on_the_edge wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:19 pm

What did I miss?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kobold wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:38 am

What did I miss?

As far as I know nothing has come out yet? I'm really only watching for the Police 4 though so now I'm wondering.

*The catalog and other websites still show coming soon. The catalog shows a pic of the serrated models but also says plain edge below so the only ones I see in stock are PE.
Screenshot_20210704-075758_Chrome.jpg
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

A SE K390 Jumpmaster 2 would get me motivated! I wonder how the Spyderco SE K390 knives have done? @Sal would know.

I like the idea, but I'm just one more voice in the peanut gallery.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well folks unfortunately this is a game over, at least for the foreseeable future as far as work is concerned.

Last Monday one of my coworkers was killed in an accident. Right now we've got OSHA and all of the highest of higher-ups so far into our business I can't fart without being scrutinized, so I'm not taking any chances with having a knife hanging off my hip. I'm currently carrying my Autonomy because it blends in the best with my uniform but even that might be too much until this cools down, I may switch to my ARK and keep it under my shirt. I'll still do as much as I can with the Jumpmaster on my days off and after work/etc.
~David
PeaceInOurTime

Re: I will now EDC a Jumpmaster 2 for 1 year (on hold until further notice)

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

So sorry to hear that. Dealing with OSHA would be the last thing I'd want to worry about after the death of a coworker.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:12 am
So sorry to hear that. Dealing with OSHA would be the last thing I'd want to worry about after the death of a coworker.

It's a PR nightmare and our guy was doing everything right, he was just hit by a POS that was probably texting and driving but we may never know that truth. Safety wise he did everything he was supposed to do but still it's such a serious thing OSHA will still get involved. It's a lot to deal with from several different directions.
~David
Zive

Post by Zive »

My condolences, David. The loss of a coworker compounded by being under the microscope sounds awful.

Take care and stay safe.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi David,

Sorry to hear about your CoWorker. Always a sad time.

I've been carrying a SE K390 P4 quite a bit lately.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:12 am
Hi David,

Sorry to hear about your CoWorker. Always a sad time.

I've been carrying a SE K390 P4 quite a bit lately.

sal

I'm anxiously waiting to see it in stock somewhere :D
~David