Spyderco Ulu?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Spyderco Ulu?

Post by Doc Dan »

Check out this Inuit woman cutting this king salmon at light speed!
https://youtu.be/w0EXRKpDVeM

Try that with a regular knife!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The magic of an ulu is less in the design than in the skill of using it.

I tried to master this skill while working for the Inuit of northern Quebec. I made lots of mistakes trying to skin and dress a seal. And I almost took off my lip taking bites of raw meat off integument in the traditional way of eating.

Ulu skill takes a lifetime to become second-nature, a lifetime that is qualitatively different than the one we Spyderco fans have lived to make us skilled with Spydies.

I suspect that interest in and use of an ulu will wane as soon as the novelty of its shape has passed.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

The Ulu particularly excels when it is the one knife you carry, walking 750 miles per year following Caribou. The Inuit used Ulus for everything, but the most arduous task was fleshing caribou hides. A thin blade with a chisel grind takes flesh and fat off hide very well. It will process the rest of the Caribou with ease too. Inuit kayaks, tents, cloths, blankets and everything else were made from Caribou hide. In my mind the Ulu is a game processing tool.

People in the wider world have found many versatile uses for the Ulu. However, in traditional use the Inuit did not have access to vegetables as they do not grow in the tundra. One can process veggies very quickly with an Ulu, but it is not a chef knife in my opinion. I prefer an eight inch chef knife in the kitchen any day. (FYI, Inuit would eat the cud from the last stomach of Caribou to access vitamin C and other essential vegetable equivalents.)

The Ulu blade shape has been around for thousands of years and has no need to "really catch on." Don't call it a come back, it has been here the whole time! A Spyderco version of the Ulu would fit right into the Ethnic Series, as Doc Dan said in the OP. I believe it would sell out, just like the Benchmade Ulu has. I'm sorta sad that I missed the Nestucca, but really prefer the traditional handle placement anyway.

What the Ulu really needs is a Spyderco version.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Novelty blade = Pochi
Ulu = Ethnic, historical

Both very relevant just different reasons.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:32 am
T-handled, bridge-handled, or, if neither, what?

Just curious. Given Eric’s penchant for the weird, I’d like to see what kind of folder he could create with either of the first two.

I still don’t see how Spyderco could sell enough to profit, but Sal and Eric are known to take chances on proofs of concept.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed May 19, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ykspydiefan wrote:
The Ulu particularly excels when it is the one knife you carry, walking 750 miles per year following Caribou. The Inuit used Ulus for everything, but the most arduous task was fleshing caribou hides. A thin blade with a chisel grind takes flesh and fat off hide very well. It will process the rest of the Caribou with ease too. Inuit kayaks, tents, cloths, blankets and everything else were made from Caribou hide. In my mind the Ulu is a game processing tool.

People in the wider world have found many versatile uses for the Ulu. However, in traditional use the Inuit did not have access to vegetables as they do not grow in the tundra. One can process veggies very quickly with an Ulu, but it is not a chef knife in my opinion. I prefer an eight inch chef knife in the kitchen any day. (FYI, Inuit would eat the cud from the last stomach of Caribou to access vitamin C and other essential vegetable equivalents.)

The Ulu blade shape has been around for thousands of years and has no need to "really catch on." Don't call it a come back, it has been here the whole time! A Spyderco version of the Ulu would fit right into the Ethnic Series, as Doc Dan said in the OP. I believe it would sell out, just like the Benchmade Ulu has. I'm sorta sad that I missed the Nestucca, but really prefer the traditional handle placement anyway.

True, however in very small community in a very specific environment. I'm not putting it down, but it is not a knife design with broad appeal and it is very unlikely to ever be broadly used. If Spyderco wants to make one who am I to say no? It certainly fits in the ethnic series as you say.

It also reminds me of leather craftsman knives, so maybe it will have other uses?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Sal, I sent you an email with a couple updates including Ulu stuff. :cool:
sal wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:00 pm
Hi Doc,

We've thought about it a few times. when we divided up the country for the sales crew ( 1984), nobody wanted to take Alaska and Hawaii, so Gail and I volunteered. We spent about a month a year in Alaska working the Fur Rondy and the state Fair. We spent about 2 months a year in Hawaii working shows in Honolulu and then taking the kids outer island and staying in campgrounds. Snorkeling for breakfast. Great times for sure. We just got back from Kauai yesterday.

We haven'e been to Alaska for a few years, though we do Hawaii more often.

We've designed a few Ulu's. One had a more traditional knife handle that bent down to the Ulu blade. Fireman was inquiring about such a design a few months ago. We did watch them in use in fish packing plants and they were faster than traditional knives as they could cut in both directions, but as mentioned, it does have a learning curve to develop the skill. In the lower 48, they work well for chopping in a wooden bowl.

I can consider one. I think I know enough about them to work a design, but as usual, Ii would be interested on any thoughts or opinions. I would also want to do more research to find the best blade shape and handle shape. I thin BD1N would be the best steel and I think an inexpensive handle that offered grip would work. FRN would be best, but the tooling is very expensive. I think maybe canvas Micarta would work.

As mentioned, most are made for souvies, but i would prefer a high performance model. We've had one in out Tokonoma for a while, Antler handle and shiny blade. I'm no expert, but of the ones Iv'e used, I prefer the longer edge, 6"-7"

I'll watch the thread.

sal
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:58 pm
Has Spyderco ever made an Ulu? I do not remember that they have.

The Ulu is the knife commonly used in the far north for everything from making at igloo, cutting hair, skinning an animal, or cutting roots and vegetables. It is a very versatile knife and has been copied by many manufactures over the years. It does have a learning curve to use, but it is very efficient, especially in the kitchen and so is associated primarily with women in those cultures. However, men use them, too.

Sadly, today there are a plethora of cheap ulu knives sold for souvenirs, but a good one is a real treasure. I think Spyderco could make one of these slicing monsters and make it where it slices even better. I don't know if this would be interesting to Spyderco, or not, but it is very different than their usual knives and would fit right in with their Ethnic Series. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I would suggest LC200N or BD1N and keep the cost down so people in Alaska, norther Canada and the Yukon, and Siberia and Greenland could afford them.
I've been debating making one, but it would be from an old saw blade...not good new steal.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:58 am
ykspydiefan wrote:
T-handled, bridge-handled, or, if neither, what?

Just curious. Given Eric’s penchant for the weird, I’d like to see what kind of folder he could create with either of the first two.

I still don’t see how Spyderco could sell enough to profit, but Sal and Eric are known to take chances on proofs of concept.
There is a lot of different styles of handles for Ulus. I like the bridge handle for processing snowshoe hare, 2nd and 3rd fingers grip the handle, pinky on the blade, thumb and index finger pinch the blade. It is kind of a rock and roll hand gesture. Excellent control for fine work, snowshoe hare hide is thin super thin and easy to tear so the control is needed. I had a 3 year stretch of processing 20 ish hares per month Oct-Mar with an Ulu.

I have an Ulu much like the lady in the salmon video posted. I do not use it much as I am a terrible fisher, but I like the one piece handle.(I bought the Waterway to feel better about fishing. It has not helped land fish.)

I have another Ulu with a 5 inch blade and a 4 inch handle shaped much like the handle of a canoe paddle. I can grip the handle and scrape moose hide all day, right and left handed, it feels just like paddling a canoe. It makes a repetitive task meditative.

I am not a fan of the T handle and find the bar in between my fingers to be uncomfortable and harder to control the blade. Like the lady in the video, I like to choke up or get as close to the blade as I can. I have only seen the T handle Ulu used for cutting blubber. The thin bar is no good for scraping hide and the handle is too far away from the blade for precision work. I own a T handle Ulu, made in Uluhaktok and I have never used it.

I have seen one example of a folding Ulu by Bob Merry, www.bmerrystudio.com and am not a fan. I feel an Ulu needs to be fixed blade to deal with all the muck I want to move with it. I mean, sure with all the scraped off fat you will never need to lubricate the pivot, but really yuck.

In all, the Ulu is a traditional/ethnic blade and really purpose driven. There are other blades that do jobs better, and power fleshing tools now too. I'm just keen to support the OP, press for a Spyderco Ulu, and own and use Ulus when I can.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I was never expert in using an ulu but I have been around people that were. It is utterly fascinating to watch how fast and sure they are processing food and game. Amazing.

I agree with ykspydiefan on handle shapes. I have not used the paddle handle and cannot recall seeing one. The T handle is useless. I like more traditional styles. They have been around for so long because they work.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:52 am
Check out this Inuit woman cutting this king salmon at light speed!
https://youtu.be/w0EXRKpDVeM

Try that with a regular knife!

I don't think the comparison between her (with a Ulu) and us (with a regular knife) is fair. She is a professional, she makes a living from it and trains for it. To compare her with someone similar, I would say that any fishmonger in any traditional market almost anywhere in the world, who has to cut dozens of fish every day would do the same with any type of cutting tool.

I am not one to tell Spyderco what to do, nor do I have the crystal ball to know whether a SpyUlu will sell well or not. I wouldn't buy it in the same way that I wouldn't buy a kitchen machete or some of the other wild ideas I've read on the forum. And I tend to believe that not many people would buy it either (including most forumites) because for collectors and lovers of the exotic to have a folder with a Kris or Shabaria blade shape to open envelopes and pet food bags, and then put it back in the pocket, is one thing; and it is quite another thing to have a large piece of sharp metal with a T or bridge handle to cut cardboard (and a finger from time to time due to the lack of habit of handling this type of tools).

Even knowing how we, forumites, behave, if Spyderco manufactured a Ulu, I can imagine the Ulu threads here: I would buy it but only if it made in H1 ... I like the concept but I don't like this one and I prefer one with the T-shaped handle .... if it had screws to disassemble the handle and clean the bits of snacks which always end up there after opening 100 bags I would buy it, but riveted as is now, it is an easy pass for me ... :eek: :D
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Hahaha! You may be right. I do think a limited run in the Ethnic series would sell out, quickly. If marketed up in the frozen north it would sell out, too. Traditional design + better steel = win.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Just wanted to say I’d definitely be interested in an Ulu. I personally like Sal’s proposal of an FRN handle. I was actually shopping for one online a little while back but I could never find one that looked like the functional tool I really wanted.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:23 am
The only thing that comes to my mind is the Maddox.
This ^^ exactly my first thought as well.

On a different note - being from Canada - I would love to try out an ulu. Sounds very much up my alley. My wife would love one to I'm sure. Her background is black foot Cherokee.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:01 pm
I thought they did but when I went looking all I could find was the Maddox. If you do a google search you'll find threads from the early 00's talking about Spyderco planning on making one and even talks of a prototype. I also remembered seeing a Spyderco patent for a retractable ulu that sounds just like the prototype they talked about.Screenshot_20210518-235727~2.png

This image is part of a scan of a small collection of Spyderco Prototypes, made and published online by the late James Mattis in 1999. It shows the concept model or prototype that seems similar tot the patent you found.
Attachments
Spyderco_Ulu_Prototype_1999_Scan-by-James-Mattis.jpg
Spyderco_Ulu_Prototype_1999_Scan-by-James-Mattis.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 6:23 am
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:01 pm
I thought they did but when I went looking all I could find was the Maddox. If you do a google search you'll find threads from the early 00's talking about Spyderco planning on making one and even talks of a prototype. I also remembered seeing a Spyderco patent for a retractable ulu that sounds just like the prototype they talked about.Screenshot_20210518-235727~2.png

This image is part of a scan of a small collection of Spyderco Prototypes, made and published online by the late James Mattis in 1999. It shows the concept model or prototype that seems similar tot the patent you found.
That is really interesting. Looks like a wicked box opener, that could peel faces, if necessary.

That's one more prototype on my list to search for...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

That one does not look practical. It is interesting from a technical view point, but for practical ulu style use, I don't think so.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

In order for us to consider making an ethnic Ulu, our/my focus would be on performance. There are many types and styles of Ulu's that would have to be narrowed down. So, for those with interest, share your thoughts on design, materials, size, shape, etc.

The prototype shown is one of my designs, though I admit it's pretty far out (I have a drafty brain) and I really would not call it an Ulu. I'll dig them out of the archives and maybe bring them to the Blade show.

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I like the old “canoe paddle” handle style
here are a couple old good examples that can fit the ethnic series. In the video below he mentions the single bevel and I think that is more in line with the traditional ulu and it’s purpose but there are many kinds.

https://www.icollector.com/item.aspx?i=11973799

https://www.icollector.com/AWESOME-ANTI ... _i36613324

These slate ones are interesting

These “cats eye” ones are original and interesting

Unrefined, but you get the idea

Most original ones seem crude but this one speaks to me.

This video is a good overview
https://youtu.be/d3QoYxy5bZA
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

An Ulu is definitely something I'd consider purchasing after I replace my no-name Chinesium kitchen cutlery (it's a bit embarrassing to admit that such things are in my house!). My instinct when using any cutting tool is to wrap my fingers completely around the handle, so I'd prefer a design that allows such a grip. Such a design would probably dictate that the blade is at least six inches. I'm open-minded when it comes to materials.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4