Spyderco Ulu?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Menipo

Re: Spyderco Ulu?

Post by Menipo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 12:10 am
Hahaha! You may be right. I do think a limited run in the Ethnic series would sell out, quickly. If marketed up in the frozen north it would sell out, too. Traditional design + better steel = win.

And if it were marketed to saddlers, it would probably sell out too.

By the way, someone should tell these guys that they have been using Ulus for hundreds of years without knowing it. :D

I had never seen a Ulu but knew that somewhere I had seen very similar blades. And suddenly I remembered: in the workshop of a leather craftsman:

Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 6:23 am

This image is part of a scan of a small collection of Spyderco Prototypes, made and published online by the late James Mattis in 1999. It shows the concept model or prototype that seems similar tot the patent you found.
Thanks for the picture! Now that I get a good look at it I was wrong in calling it an ulu. It could be made without the serrated reverse "s" tip to enable ulu style cutting.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I’m reminded of the cigar making knife as well.

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

Absolutely agree that performance is primary. And as a knife, the ULU is a tool. It can also be aesthetic.

From Fairbanks: D2/15N20 Damascus with hand carved Moose Antler Handle.

Dan
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

What are your guys thoughts on single bevel to go back to the original design?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I know little about an Ulu, but think they’re neat. Have little use for one myself besides cutting a pizza or something.

Id imagine a single bevel would be advantageous.

Interestingly, the examples I’ve seen posted in this thread are reminiscent of stone artifacts I’ve found all the down here in Florida. Many of these are large split pieces which have been flaked or beveled on only a single side to create a fine edge. The people used a few other other methods as well, but not as commonly.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

For those interested in a novel/gimmicky take on the blade shape, Darriel Caston has an interesting folding mini-ulu called the ""Whorl":

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dr ... ly-cutting

(He's also done a nicer updated version with "LMS Prototyping" but all the photos are stuck on instagram.)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 2:26 pm
For those interested in a novel/gimmicky take on the blade shape, Darriel Caston has an interesting folding mini-ulu called the ""Whorl":

(He's also done a nicer updated version with "LMS Prototyping" but all the photos are stuck on instagram.)
Interesting. I’d consider this one were it done in collaboration with Spyderco. It’s faithful to the ulu’s purpose, but I’d like to see Glesser-smarts applied. Size will matter to me.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Fireman wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 3:34 am
A symmetrical handled design might be particularly appropriate for a single bevel edge, as you could choose to use it either way.

The handle shape is where it needs to be right. Double handled herb cutters look clumsy, and like triangle hachoirs offer little versatility. The Global Knives hachoir handle looks better but still looks really only for rocking cuts.

Maybe a banana shaped handle starting from one end of the blade, that offers a more horizontal grip for rocking cuts, but curving up into a central T handle. That would up any single bevel versatility, though.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 12:32 am
Fireman wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 3:34 am
A symmetrical handled design might be particularly appropriate for a single bevel edge, as you could choose to use it either way.

The handle shape is where it needs to be right. Double handled herb cutters look clumsy, and like triangle hachoirs offer little versatility. The Global Knives hachoir handle looks better but still looks really only for rocking cuts.

Maybe a banana shaped handle starting from one end of the blade, that offers a more horizontal grip for rocking cuts, but curving up into a central T handle. That would up any single bevel versatility, though.
Good thoughts

The more I think about the single bevel, the more I see the wisdom in it. Obviously there are several main designs for different uses. If it falls under the ethnic series, a more ancient design would be ideal.

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

https://youtu.be/_ZJxQ2ID7Do

Another good video

https://youtu.be/FSnHFmpJX-A

The above video shows the single bevel being used for its purpose of processing a salmon with great skill.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Fireman wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 1:31 am
https://youtu.be/_ZJxQ2ID7Do

Another good video

https://youtu.be/FSnHFmpJX-A

The above video shows the single bevel being used for its purpose of processing a salmon with great skill.
Good videos. She uses an ulu better than a so called filet knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 2:26 pm

I've mentioned this one here before as well. Though it is very similar to an Ulu, it is a small knife and was inspired by stone flake tools used in the stone age. For that reason, I had thought that it might be an interesting addition to the Ethnic Series.

Mushroom wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 10:09 am
Darriel Caston also recently designed and made a knife called the "The Whorl Circular Knife." It was "based on our ancestral Oval and Circle stone and flint knives." I think this would be right at home in the Ethnic Series! Maybe the first Ethinic series keychain knife? ;)

I would love to see this model get "Spyderized!" :D
-Nick :bug-red
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Thanks for the videos team. Other than the gender bias when it comes to filleting fish, I have noticed they are working with dressed fish. I have never tried to gut a fish with an Ulu but I would worry about slicing the guts. The Spyderco Waterway has great ergos and makes gut removal easy, for the few fish I land.

The fish processing Ulus appear to have really thin blade stock making great slicers. I am not sure what to make of this other than acknowledging thin blade does not make a good hide scraper. It would be great for cutting cardboard!

It seems that many different cultures have utilized the semi circular blade style that we call the Ulu. I just find the multi ethnic aspect to be fascinating. Thanks for all the pics and videos so far.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

The Whorl Circular Knife is super nifty. I can immediately see how Spyderco could to a collaboration and a really useful key chain version of this knife.

In terms of a traditional Ulu, lets not overlook this guy... https://www.nwtarts.com/artist-profile/adam-kudlak
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'd like something similar to this, but with removable scales and that could be lashed to a stick to be used as a hatchet. also, you could put your hand between the blade and the handle and grab the blade from the back for more control if needed.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I really love this idea as a primitive skills enthusiast. It would need to be heavy and pretty sturdy to act as a hatchet/axe. With the right hardware, you could swap handles with ease to go from ulu to Ulax (name trade marked by me just now :D ;)). The versatility would be amazing. I see something like a tomahawk aka Uluhawk (Trade mark) being the most useful. I have seen a fixed ulu with a long handle approximately 16” before. In this set up, it would be best as a double bevel.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Wow, the things I learn here. I never considered the Ulu-axe. Like ladybug 93, I would am even more interested in an Ulu with heavy blade stock and an interchangeable handle so it could cut, scrape and chop. Hey Fireman, thanks for the great pics.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

another version of this that exists out there is the tops atax. i've wanted one for years, but other knives always jump it in line.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C