Sharpening Sprints and Exclusives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Have you sharpened your Sprints or Exclusives?

Yes
86%
No
5%
Depends on the model (please share)
6%
I do not own any Sprints or Exclusives
3%

Total votes: 146

anycal

Re: Sharpening Sprints and Exclusives

Post by anycal »

Yes, all. At this point, most of my collection are of the exclusive/sprint flavor. Sharpened, or at minimum, touched up.

There were couple of knives I almost banished to be LNIB, not to be used - KW CF/Ti Military and Z-Wear Shaman. They were such perfect specimens of the model they represent, and I had plenty of others to use. But because they are so perfect, I want to use them... perhaps more lightly than the others.
Peter
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Funny, if I miss an exclusive I want, I go looking for them used to try and get them at a less inflated price. Unfortunately, they're not commonly offered for sale in used condition.
What's the point of having Spyderco take the time and effort in offering special steels if they just sit?
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

I guess I’ll offer a differing way of enjoying my knives. All of my knives have the potential to be users...but not all are in use. The ones that are uses are USED and sharpened frequently. I acquired a Rex 45 Shaman recently and for now it’ll stay unsharpened until I decide to make it a user. I won’t go out of my way to sharpen it, but if I decide to use it, it’s no holds barred getting used.

I guess I find enjoyment on two levels; one as hard use knives and the other as collecting different expressions and enjoying them on that level.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

If I go in on a sprint I plan on using it as much as any of my other knives, so yeah.

To be fair I’m usually a little more careful since they’re not replaceable, but they’re getting used so they’re getting sharpened.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am about to sharpen my Rex45 Chief (it needs it badly, I am not gentle with it), but I did not sharpen my Cruwear Para 3 because I was not sure whether I will keep it (I sold it eventually -sadly before I realized that I could put the blade in a LW handle, I am banging my head against the wall)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Most of my collection consist of sprints or exclusives, and I use and sharpen all of them.

I have a handful of pre-need-replacements that are kept pristine.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i only own two exclusives. i bought them because i thought they were better versions of their models; not for collecting. i have a m2lw in xhp because it was almost the same price as the bd1 version at the time and in a better steel. i have the damascus and grey/black zome delica because i'm not a huge delica fan and wanted a more special version than just the standard model for my only copy. both knives were bought to be used. i don't buy knives to just leave sitting around. although, the more i buy, the more they end up sitting around as i cycle through.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on the model and the steel. Most are just for my collection but, if it's a model like the Stretch that I enjoy carrying and using, in a steel I consider to be decently stainless, then the clip comes off and it gets carried, used, sharpened as needed, and possibly even modded.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Can`t imagine buying knife and not using it even though it would be custom, sprint or exclusive. Some knives I wear as gentleman pieces for lighter cutting chores and some see "harder" use. Most favorite one I use and sharpened maybe 3 times is my Spyderco PPT sprint in S90V which I absolutely love to wear and use - great outdoors pocket knife :rolleyes:

Therefore yes, whenever it is normal production or some special run I use them as I just love that feeling and would I know my knives would be sad in case they would not be used, sharpened and taken care of :D
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I generally buy knives to use them. I have the teal Delica and the yellow & green zome Delica. Both knives are used and have been sharpened.

The only safe queen I have is my Euro Edge, to me it’s almost a work of art. It’s just a beautiful knife.

I bet there are more than a few people who are the opposite. One or two users and a bunch of safe queens.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
TKCSA

Post by TKCSA »

I definitely sharpen and love my Manix!

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:19 pm
My knives are for ME to enjoy, not some future owner.
Unless I get severely strapped for cash, the future owner of my knives will be my nephew. He'll be free to do with them as he sees fit! I enjoy using some and preserving others in the meantime.
TKCSA wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:11 am
I definitely sharpen and love my Manix!
Those red handles...what a good-looking knife!
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Yes!

I have one exclusive, a S90V orange Native from cutlery shoppe, and I've have sharpened it many times. I bought it specifically for use.

I don't feel like I can afford to buy a knife just for its collection value. I have knives that I don't see the use for but that I still would like to own, but I have yet to buy one of those.
/ David
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Why would these get a special treatment...

Spyderco is probably selling more "sprints" and "exclusives" than regular production knives.

So you might say that "sprints" and "exclusives" are the regular production and the regular production is actually becoming the exclusive line :D

Mostly Sprints & Exclusives the past two months (13 of 16 = 81%):

Roadie SlipJoint N690Co Brown FRN C189PBN (Italy) - MAR 2021
Roadie SlipJoint N690Co Olive Green FRN C189PGR (Italy) - MAR 2021
Native Chief CPM-REX45 Burnt Orange G-10 C244GPBORE Sprint Run (USA) - MAR 2021
Viele Phoenix VG-10 Red G-10 C114GPRD Sprint Run (Japan) - MAR 2021
Yojimbo2 CPM-20CV Tan G-10 C85GPTN2 DLT Trading (USA) - MAR 2021
Dragonfly2 CPM-CRUWEAR Black TiCN Blade Black CF C28CFPBK The Knife Distributor (Japan) - MAR 2021
Shaman CTS-XHP Black DLC Blade Orange G-10 C229GPORBK Cutlery Shoppe (USA) - MAR 2021
Para3 Lightweight CPM-20CV Blue FRN C223PNBL KnifeJoy (USA) - MAR 2021
ParaMilitary2 CPM-S90V Black DLC Blade OD Green G-10 C81GPODBK2 DLT Trading (USA) - MAR 2021
Native Chief CTS-XHP Black DLC Blade Orange G-10 C244GPORBK Cutlery Shoppe (USA) - APR 2021
Para3 CPM-20CV Black DLC Blade Neon Green G-10 C223GPNGRBK KnifeJoy (USA) - APR 2021
Kapara CPM-20CV Grey G-10 C241GPGY DLT Trading (Taiwan) - APR 2021
Mule Team CPM-S45VN MT31P (USA) - APR 2021
Slysz Bowie M390 Satin Blade Blue Anodized Titanium C186TIBL KnifeJoy (Taiwan) - APR 2021
Para3 Lightweight CPM-S90V Teal FRN C223PTBL MGE Wholesale (USA) - APR 2021
Manix2 Lightweight CPM-20CV Translucent Mystic Green FRCP C101PMGR2 KnifeJoker (USA) - APR 2021

There's nothing rare and exclusive about these other than the marketing if they are produced in the tens of thousands every year, they're just production knives so why wouldn't you sharpen them.

It's probably just a marketing trick so that who's buying these thinks that he/she/them has acquired the holy grail of rare and exclusives knives - from a production knives company :D - something valuable that he/she/them was actually lucky to get his/her/(don't know really what to put here to not offend the other newly discovered genders :D ) hands on (actually does the third gender even have hands? just asking :D ).

If you had something like one of the Bob Lum's or Al Mar's customs that would a different discussion and I probably wouldn't sharpen them :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted for the "Depends On" like the OP did. Because most of what I buy in Sprint Runs are usually models I actually like to use. I do far less "collecting" than I did about 10 years ago. Because of an onslaught of medical bills in the past 3 years it's been tough just to keep up with all the new sharpening gear much less all the Sprint Runs that I drool over.

But most of any Sprint Run blades I get from Golden CO are ones I use 90% of the time.

This is an interesting thread in many respects because of the turbulence on our economy I'm seeing less people hoarding collector pieces in the past 5 years or so. I'm currently gearing up for potential hard times so most of my new gear is going to be used or bartered.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Scale swapped and reprofiled!! :eek: :p

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Gsg9 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:07 am
Why would these get a special treatment...

Spyderco is probably selling more "sprints" and "exclusives" than regular production knives.

So you might say that "sprints" and "exclusives" are the regular production and the regular production is actually becoming the exclusive line :D
This is a very good point. Sprint/exclusive rarity overall is probably much overstated since it took me a whole to remember the SS Stretch was actually a Sprint run - mainly because it's not really rare or has much collectible sentiment right now.

Heartening replies to the poll, though. It's easy to assume rare, high-dollar, Spydercos are all sitting in their boxes unused and unloved but this thread (like many others) indicates that definitely not the case.
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

I'm really surprised with the voting. I'd been assuming that most were collecting here more than using. As I'd view the classified adds and ebay sales it seems like most are nib and have never been sharpened. I wonder how many here may not be voting in the pole.
WRB

Post by WRB »

I sharpened a Flash Batch knife, so sprints and exclusives definitely get the same treatment.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My S90V/CF Military with its back up. Guess how I voted.