Sharpening Sprints and Exclusives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Have you sharpened your Sprints or Exclusives?

Yes
86%
No
5%
Depends on the model (please share)
6%
I do not own any Sprints or Exclusives
3%

Total votes: 146

spoonrobot

Sharpening Sprints and Exclusives

Post by spoonrobot »

I've been spending more time than normal looking at sales ads for Spydercos. One thing that jumped out at me is that there are almost no user sharpened sprints/exclusives. So here's a poll, do you sharpen your sprints or exclusives or are they purely for collecting purposes.

I voted "depends" as I sharpened and used pretty heavily my Straight Spine Stretch sprint, but am keeping my BHQ Jade Dodo exclusive in the box for collecting purposes only.
Dan In MI

Re: Sharpening Sprints and Exclusives

Post by Dan In MI »

I got a little ahead of myself, and selected "I don't own any sprints or exclusives." However, that's no longer the case! The one exclusive I own is a cabinet queen, and I might not be keeping it much longer (not because I'm gonna try to flip it, but because a fellow forum member might want it a little more than I). "No" would have been a better choice, as I'd use a sprint or exclusive only very occasionally.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I sharpen every knife I buy.

I think that once most folks sharpen their knives they accept that they have hurt resale value and just keep it. That may be why we mostly see brand new sprints for sale on the second hand market.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I use every knife I have, and just about every one is an exclusive or sprint. I've fully sharpened/reprofiled a few of them and all of them have at least seen the brown rods a few times. Perks of some of these sprints/exclusives...they use such great steels that it takes awhile to require a full sharpening (or I just have too many in the rotation that they don't get used enough) :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Yes, I use and sharpen every one.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:43 pm
I sharpen every knife I buy.

I think that once most folks sharpen their knives they accept that they have hurt resale value and just keep it. That may be why we mostly see brand new sprints for sale on the second hand market.
That's part of what I was thinking why I made the poll. I know I took an absolute bath when I sold of my collection of sprints because most were sharpened. I'd definitely keep them now instead of selling.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I sharpen them all except for a couple that have never been used that were bought for backups that will never be needed. Otherwise yeah they're just knives and all my knives get sharpened.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I sharpen all the knives I use sprint, flash batch, exclusives, and customs. Just like David said unless it's a back up.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve been using my M4 Native 5 quite extensively recently in a big garden joinery project. This is my first M4 and I’m finding that the edge holds up really well and is a treat to sharpen. I was really pleased to pick this one up cheap enough to use, even if the jade scales had been Rit dyed.

My SG Endura, SB Manbug, and Hap40 Stretch & Dfly have all been used & sharpened. My Zcarta Shaman and CF Chief are currently still “treasures”.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Of course!

But my Spydies are all users, I could not imagine at all to own one and NOT use(and sharpen) it.
True also for the rather few sprints/exclusives I own(ed)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Sharpen, patina, dye, re-clip, use harshly... I do it all. Resale value means nothing to me. My knives are for ME to enjoy, not some future owner.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Lately there are more exclusives then others.

A knife needs to be used (NOT abused) an sharpened.
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Yep, sprints/discontinued/exclusives are meant for use as all the others are.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Of course.

Not only do I sharpen them, I go out of my way to mod my sprints to make unique knives.

For example, in my pocket today is a DLC M4 Manix XL with micarta scales and an edge taken to 10-12 degrees per side:

Trying to track down an M4 Military next. I want to dye the scales dark green and let the blade patina.
:unicorn
Danke

Post by Danke »

Every one of my sprints or exclusive I've sharpened, cut stuff with, got a patina and pocket nicks on.

That's why I get them. They're good knives made better by an uncommon steel.

The only anxiety I suffer is when I get a new tool steel about the best way to form a protective patina.

Blade HQ, get that Rock Lobster on the road!!!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I use what I buy, so sharpening is inescapable.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
NorthShoreBoiBoi

Post by NorthShoreBoiBoi »

I think the exclusives get better when you can put on the perfect edge for your uses. The only exclusive I have that im apprehensive to sharpen is the Dodo. Ill do some strop and touch ups, but need to practice some more recurve before I do the full treatment
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:19 pm
Sharpen, patina, dye, re-clip, use harshly... I do it all. Resale value means nothing to me. My knives are for ME to enjoy, not some future owner.
Yes ^^^^ , I bought a v- toku2 stretch, 1st thing out of the box I strop it to a insanely sharp edge
Then patina in 1/2 vinegar 1/2 boiling water for a hour , I will never sell it , insanely beautiful
And sharp
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yes. Fun to see how different they are to sharpen from one another
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

My "yes" should have been a "depends". The REC PM2 with black 10V blade I have is being in the box as trade fodder toward something I've missed (hopefully a CF/S90V Shaman). The AEB-L Urban sprint I have was bought as a user, as was the MGE exclusive teal FRN / S90V Native 5 LW, and the distributor exclusive read and black weave CF/G-10 laminate Domino as well. So, 3 out 4 have been sharpened. I still occasionally use, and have sharpened, my discontinued Dice and Sage 2. I have a Watu, which looks like it's been a slow seller, and I expect it'll be discontinued soon. I also use and sharpen that knife.