CQI Shabaria ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
malice

CQI Shabaria ?

Post by malice »

Hi folks,

I was carrying my Shabaria today.
Which is a beautifully slender knife, but with surprising strength in the stab and a very "biting" edge profile.
As a graceful edc as well as an SD knife it excels.

And it made me wonder, considering the more than two decades since it's inception, what would be the possible CQI's on this beauty ?

Personally I would say:

Steel: LC200N
Good toughness, low worry factor, pretty good sharpenability which is important because of that recurve + Spyderco uses it already (which may keep price down + guarantees good heat treatment)
(I'm basing my info on : https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/05/20/ ... ery-knife/)

Lock: switch to compression lock, thus the slight cutout at the spydiehole can be bilateral, not only improving grip, but also rendering it more lefty friendly.

Handle: Linerless G10 (using the techniques used on the Para 3 LW) or else a nested liner. 4 way clip. No lanyard hole in order to optimally position the clip. ( Lanyard if wanted to be tied around most distal stand off )

What do you guys think ?
Would that be an improvement, and would you buy it were it a reality ?
spoonrobot

Re: CQI Shabaria ?

Post by spoonrobot »

Liner lock is more lefty friendly than comp lock, for this model. Only thing it needs is drilling for left handed pocket clip.

Personally I think a Shabaria 2 would be a big seller. Add a CBBL (plenty of space), nested liners, full SE option, LC200N FFG blade - oh man that would be a real beast of a knife.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think a nifty new take on a different lock, like a button lock or bolt lock, would be good.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

CQI does not entail a redesign to a different lock type. That would be in essence a whole new knife that looks similar to the original.
Even a simple sprint run would surprise me as I have not heard of anyone requesting it in 20 years. I could be wrong about that, however. I just don't remember anyone asking.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:12 am
CQI does not entail a redesign to a different lock type. That would be in essence a whole new knife that looks similar to the original.
Even a simple sprint run would surprise me as I have not heard of anyone requesting it in 20 years. I could be wrong about that, however. I just don't remember anyone asking.
I agree, this would be more than CQI. I would question if the model is popular enough to justify redesigning it.

There was a sprint run from 2018. I believe it is the one the OP posted, with Gray G10 and VG10 steel. Seemed like it was mostly a collector piece.
-Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thanks, I fully and completely forgot about the Sprint run.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:43 am
I would question if the model is popular enough to justify redesigning it.
I concur. But with or without the slight changes suggested, I would likely buy a new one. That unique design would stand out on display!
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
malice

Post by malice »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:43 am
There was a sprint run from 2018. I believe it is the one the OP posted, with Gray G10 and VG10 steel. Seemed like it was mostly a collector piece.
Correct.
I believe the original run was somewhere up to 2003 ? With a carbon fiber sprint somewhere in 2013 ?
But don't hold me to that.

And I agree, that maybe it's more than CQI.

So maybe call it Shabaria 2 ;)

And I get why it could be a risk to redesign, from a financial point of view.

On the other hand, it has sooo much potential.
malice

Post by malice »

So which lock would you guys say is best, if you want to keep it sleek, secure but ambidextrous ?

Bolt, button or CBBL ?
Eventough it seems the least lefty friendly, I would still say button.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've owned 3 of those Shabaria models over the years and I could never fall in love with them because I never could get comfortable with the grip. My hand just seems to be a bit large for it to fit properly.

The Shabaria has always interested me however because as far as I know they never made one in full SE. And I can't for the life of me understand why Spyderco doesn't make at least one or two of their great "recurve" models in Spyderedge.

The Shabaria to me is more eye candy than it is a practical user blade. Also if you can find one NIB it would be a nice investment over time I'm sure. Because models out of that era ( The Golden Era of Spyders 1998-2004) all seem to be winners in the collector category.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

malice wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:31 am

Lock: switch to compression lock, thus the slight cutout at the spydiehole can be bilateral, not only improving grip, but also rendering it more lefty friendly.
With that large empty space along the spine of the handle, how can a compression lock fit into this design? :confused: I think it's impossible
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:24 am
The Shabaria has always interested me however because as far as I know they never made one in full SE. And I can't for the life of me understand why Spyderco doesn't make at least one or two of their great "recurve" models in Spyderedge.
Am I misremembering or is the issue that full SE is difficult or not possible, with blades that have a negative edge angle along their full length? IIRC this came up with the Szabo folder and it's recurve?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:30 am
malice wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:31 am

With that large empty space along the spine of the handle, how can a compression lock fit into this design? :confused: I think it's impossible
Yeah I agree with that.. I don't see how it would be possible to implement a compression lock on the Shabaria model.

Like I've said in the past I've yet to ever have any of Spyderco's locking systems ever fail on me. Even though a lot of people look down their noses at "liner locks" I've never even had any of those fail on me either.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spoonrobot wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:35 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Am I misremembering or is the issue that full SE is difficult or not possible, with blades that have a negative edge angle along their full length? IIRC this came up with the Szabo folder and it's recurve?
You may have something there "SR". However I've never heard anyone from the Great Spyder Factory officially make that statement that I can remember and I've been here for a while. Or maybe it might just be too labor intensive for them to make any significant profit doing it.

I do wish that in instances like this that you could send the model into Spyderco and have them put serrations on models that you can't normally get in SE.

I've just know in my gut that the ULIZE model would be like a small chain saw in Spyderedge if we could ever get that. Because "Recurves" are always at an "Angle Of Attack" when using them. But I can see why they would be far more difficult to grind teeth on.
malice

Post by malice »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:40 am
spoonrobot wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
You may have something there "SR". However I've never heard anyone from the Great Spyder Factory officially make that statement that I can remember and I've been here for a while. Or maybe it might just be too labor intensive for them to make any significant profit doing it.

I do wish that in instances like this that you could send the model into Spyderco and have them put serrations on models that you can't normally get in SE.

I've just know in my gut that the ULIZE model would be like a small chain saw in Spyderedge if we could ever get that. Because "Recurves" are always at an "Angle Of Attack" when using them. But I can see why they would be far more difficult to grind teeth on.
Doesn't the whole civilian/matriarch family have a negative edge angle at one point on the other edge ?

Because those are known chainsaw like serrated blades.

And when it comes to the button/compression lock, I'm actually pretty certain it could work, but the leaf spring would need to be at a more oblique angle.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

malice wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:15 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:40 am
spoonrobot wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Doesn't the whole civilian/matriarch family have a negative edge angle at one point on the other edge ?

Because those are known chainsaw like serrated blades.

And when it comes to the button/compression lock, I'm actually pretty certain it could work, but the leaf spring would need to be at a more oblique angle.
That's a good point, I must be misremembering.

w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

The carbon fiber sprint was one of my first spyderco knives, I remember at the time being kind of scared of it because the handle was so thin and slippery and the blade was probably the sharpest and pointiest thing I’d ever seen. I sold it on as my attention drew to more practical models, I didn’t consider buying the last g10 sprint but still find the knife very aesthetically pleasing.
As for cqi I think it would be best to leave the model as is, out of respect for the designer, I think a sprint with a peel ply carbon fibre handle and coated blade would be cool though.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I have always wanted a Shabaria, for the blade shape. I would definitely buy one if it was a compression lock. I wonder how a R.I.L would work on such a thin(short?) grip area.

As it stands, I have always considered it. But, the liner lock just doesn't float my boat. Maybe one day.

A CBBL would definitely not get my money. Eww... 🤢

On a side note, R.I.P. Eduard Bradichansky... Such a senseless end to a great engineer/designer.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I like the design mostly for the recurve.
Because of that it would probably interest me in whatever CQI variant could theoretically come out.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
malice

Post by malice »

BTW, did a bit of doodling, basing myself on my para's and internet images, because I don't have a smock (yet).

Purple are the mechanical parts.
I drew a straight cut spring and an elongated Z-cut spring alternative.
If I'm not mistaken the button needs about a 50% overlap with the leaf spring.

Green dotted lines are the furthest my hand comes up the handle in hammer and sabre grip.

Do you think it could work ?