Rockjumper new blade shape?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

New blade shape for Rockjumper

Straight spine
32%
Rounded leaf
68%

Total votes: 25

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Rockjumper new blade shape?

Post by Doc Dan »

Just for kicks, what do you all think the best shape for the upcoming new blade shape of the Rockjumper (whatever they call it) should be? Should it be like the Straight Spine Stretch or the leaf Manix/Sage shape?

Personally, I prefer the straight spine. I think that modified clip is more attractive, slides in the pocket better, and has a more usable point/end.

What do you all think?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Re: Rockjumper new blade shape?

Post by Wartstein »

Sal has already confirmed that there will be a Leaf Jumper soon; should be close to production I think

So I guess this question is decided already... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above: (For me) sadly Sal has also said, that the Leaf Jumper will NOT have a longer blade than the RockJumper.
This (a longer blade) was what I´d have hoped for in the Leaf Jumper, since there is space in the handle left for that and the goal of the handle forward design literally was (quoting Spyderco): "to pack as much cutting edge as possible into its pocket-friendly size, while still utilizing a mid-back lock mechanism" (see Spyderco byte September 2020 https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-by ... ember-2020)

Don´t mind the short blade in the wharnie Rock Jumper, but in the Leaf Jumper a longer and by that more versatile blade would be (have been) nice to have. Especially since the current blade exceeds the 3 " limit anyway already.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I was under the impression that a leaf shaped blade was already chosen for a "Leafjumper" model, as Wartstein also noted.
-Nick :bug-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Chosen? I have not seen any evidence of production. Besides, you never know when a new model variation might be considered down the line. Possibilities.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:27 pm
Chosen? I have not seen any evidence of production. Besides, you never know when a new model variation might be considered down the line. Possibilities.

Don't have the time right now to search extensively but this is back from January, Sal confirms a Leaf Jumper is in the works
viewtopic.php?t=88699#p1488773

In later threads he did so too and talked about details like blade length.

Don't know how close to production the model really is, but there must be prototypes and I don't think that they suddenly and in the last second will switch from leaf- to another shape
Matus

Post by Matus »

One way or another - I find the handle shape of the Rock Jumper pretty much perfect and better than other backlock Seki models, so any non-sheepsfoot blade shape would be totally awesome. I also hope to see it in 'non VG-10' - (for example k390) eventually. I would get one immediately.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
araneae

Post by araneae »

I still think it should be called the Leafhopper.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I agree with others, it seems like the Leaf Jumper is already in concept, if not in production.

That said, I would enjoy a straight spine variant - I like a bit of belly. I'll buy whichever comes out first.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It does seem like the name would suggest the blade shape. I think I'd prefer a leaf over a straight spine, it would be more comfortable for thumb placement I think.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Would prefer a straight spine but would also like to see a leafshape. Would be happy either way to see a new blade version of this sweet design.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I did not buy the Rockjumper because of the wharncliffe blade. A different blade style would have been an instant buy for me. I'd prefer the straight spine like on the Delica and Stretch. However, if it comes out in leaf then I'll get that. I am fond of my Manix knives, obviously (I have 4) and they have that leaf shaped blade.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Leaf. It’s my favorite blade shape.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder: