UK Penknife availability? (Marital advice....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Loki.88

UK Penknife availability? (Marital advice....

Post by Loki.88 »

:) I have been looking for a UK Penknife in Europe today for my next trip to Germany to arrange my marriage with my Bavarian fiancée.

Apparently it's out of stock everywhere!
I just found out my EDC knives (PM2 ,yojimbo or amalgan) are illegal there in their current configuration.... Carried there for years and apparently illegal. ;)

So does anyone know why they are out of stock? Anyone knows when they will be available again?

Carrying a Spyderco is part of my personality. I carry one al the time. Started in 1994 i believe with a Endura with the molded clip. Knife is still in my possesion. Carried that thing thrue my law enforcement carreer, during my recovery from PTSD, then going back to school and getting my bachelor's degree in nursing. The only time i don't carry is in scrubs.
Every picture i have you see a clip in my pants RF. So naturally i expected to be able to carry a Spyderco when in Germany. But the UKPK is sold out everywhere. My fiancée has her pink squeek with her but hopefully i'll be able to find one before my wedding day.

Greetings from Belgium.
Senfkarte

Re: UK Penknife availability? (Marital advice....

Post by Senfkarte »

My guess is, that the production of the upcoming UKPK-Salts blocks every spot in production for other UKPKs. But I don't work for Spyderco, so I don't know for sure.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

2020 really seems to have knocked production for a loop. Most of the Golden knives have had shortages. When I checked a while back, the Spyderco factory outlet was sold out of manixes. G10, frcp, bd1n, s30v, maxamet, coated, uncoated, pe, se, regular, xl... All of them. They're still short on most models.

The ukpk will show back up eventually when they get caught up. Until then, maybe an urban would be more readily available since they are made in Italy?
Loki.88

Post by Loki.88 »

Yes, looked at the urban. But the blade is a little bit short for my taste. But the handles on the urban and ukpk seem similar.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The drop point version is in stock at knifeworks.com and they will ship DHL to you. I know it is not in Europe, but it will cost only about $35 or so to ship to you, and maybe less.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I have both a UKPK and a Pingo so I'm prepared for various parts of Europe
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Loki.88 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:40 pm
:) I have been looking for a UK Penknife in Europe today for my next trip to Germany to arrange my marriage with my Bavarian fiancée.

First and foremost: Congrats on your upcoming wedding! :)

/ German knife laws really suck - but I think if you carried a locking folder chances that you run into any problems while your trip and marriage are very low. I live in Austria (no restrictions at all), but close to the border to Germany and went there pretty often before the Corona-thing started: Always carried something like an Endura or Stretch, no issues whatsoever. Sure I did not deliberately use my knives in public places if possible, but I did not really hide them either.
And you had the same experience in Germany anyway too?

/ Or, perhaps as a last ditch option some German forum member could lend you a legal knife? (Living in Austria, I personally don´t have any non locking Spydies unfortunately).
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon May 17, 2021 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Congratulations on your wedding! Bavarian people are the best (I was born in München, hahaha)!

You have the UKPK available at Cuchillería Gómez (a brick and mortar store in Pamplona which also sells online):

https://www.cuchilleriagomez.com/index. ... pyderco+uk

In 48 hours you will receive your Spydie in Absurdistan!!! ;)
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

There is also the Byrd Tern as an option.

... and congratulations!
malice

Post by malice »

Congratulations !

Another Belgian here.
I checked my usual shops, and a few others (FR, NL, DE, FI ) none to be found.

But if you want you can borrow my Urban, Pingo or Proper.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

He Loki,

congrats first!
As an Upper Austrian i can say Bavarians are great.
Where does she come from in Bavaria?

UKPK looks really like its sold out.
I whould take an Urban in your situation or try your luck at eBay?

ASF
Loki.88

Post by Loki.88 »

Servus....She is from Fürstenfeldbruck ( near Munich). A lovely girl, but very german....in a good way. She is rather distant at first, really serious in everything she does, ordnung müss sein, very clean, but loves to relax as well, enjoys great food, loves to hike and ski. We met here in a nursings
Bachelor course at the university in Belgium ( my second carreer and also hers) and fell for each other. She has a lovely family, they accept me as their son. I don't have one thing negative to say about bavarians, friendly people but closed and conservative but so am i.
Shoutout to Menipo. Thanks for the advice. Found it in Spain!
I love Munich, sadly due to corona we haven't been able to visit her family during covid. Hopefully Germany, like Austria (yeay..),will let us come back without quarantaine. We are both vaccinated, as Nurses. But out of fear of infecting her unvaccinated family we decided not to go there before they and we were vaccinated. We have seen what covid does to a patiënt and infecting someone of her family would break our heart. But everytime we can go we go back to Munich and the Alps. I like the alpine culture and trachten as well. I carry lederhosn when my girlfriend is in trachten. I like it. The only problem is that when a boa speaks to me in boarish i have a problem, half the time i need to reply in bad school german😂 They like it when you wear trachten as a foreigner BUT it should be with respect and the real deal. Not the so called party dirndls and plastic lederhosen the visitors sometimes carry for carnaval in Belgium or at oktoberfest.
If you show them genuine interrest in their culture they will open up their arms and families.

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe when can meet up one day in the umgebung to meet and greet, drink a mass and eat schweinehaxe....
Or any other great alpine food.
Servus!
Eratus

Post by Eratus »

The Lil Native Slipit should be legal (and pretty cool), but I don't know exactly when it will be avaliable.

https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/59215/knive ... e-c230nlgp
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Loki.88 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:32 pm
Servus....She is from Fürstenfeldbruck ( near Munich). A lovely girl, but very german....in a good way. She is rather distant at first, really serious in everything she does, ordnung müss sein, very clean, but loves to relax as well, enjoys great food, loves to hike and ski. We met here in a nursings
Bachelor course at the university in Belgium ( my second carreer and also hers) and fell for each other. She has a lovely family, they accept me as their son. I don't have one thing negative to say about bavarians, friendly people but closed and conservative but so am i.
Shoutout to Menipo. Thanks for the advice. Found it in Spain!
I love Munich, sadly due to corona we haven't been able to visit her family during covid. Hopefully Germany, like Austria (yeay..),will let us come back without quarantaine. We are both vaccinated, as Nurses. But out of fear of infecting her unvaccinated family we decided not to go there before they and we were vaccinated. We have seen what covid does to a patiënt and infecting someone of her family would break our heart. But everytime we can go we go back to Munich and the Alps. I like the alpine culture and trachten as well. I carry lederhosn when my girlfriend is in trachten. I like it. The only problem is that when a boa speaks to me in boarish i have a problem, half the time i need to reply in bad school german😂 They like it when you wear trachten as a foreigner BUT it should be with respect and the real deal. Not the so called party dirndls and plastic lederhosen the visitors sometimes carry for carnaval in Belgium or at oktoberfest.
If you show them genuine interrest in their culture they will open up their arms and families.

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe when can meet up one day in the umgebung to meet and greet, drink a mass and eat schweinehaxe....
Or any other great alpine food.
Servus!

I am delighted to have been able to contribute to the fact that on the most important day of your life you won't go to the altar naked and that your dear Spydie walks with you that day.

This is a chain of favors. I gave you the Cuchillería Gomez tip in the same way that Wartstein gave me the Coutellerie Tourangelle tip.

By the way, Gernot, today the CT package arrived with Warsty inside (I have decided to name my new Maxix 2 LW SPY27 after you because if it is part of my collection today, it is "because of you").

However, do not get too excited because there is still a loooong way ahead before I join the SE cult :D
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)