Re: Tool for gardening (prep for new plants)?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Road Tripper

Tool for gardening (prep for new plants)?

Post by Road Tripper »

My wife is an avid gardener. She often puts in annuals, and struggles with clearing roots as she's making a place for them. I tried to think of a tool she could use to cleanly cut the roots, and it occurred to me a hawkbill might be just the thing.

During use, the knife will get wet, so I feel a Salt would be best for low-maintenance. She has a VG-10 Dragonfly already and likes it, so I'm thinking the serrated Dragonfly Salt hawkbill would be ideal. (We do have a Sharpmaker.)

The roots I'm talking about are generally no more than a half-inch wide. Anyone have experience with this, or other suggestions? Thank you.
Last edited by Road Tripper on Sat May 22, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Bump.

This gets talked about a good bit. There have been a couple threads on it as well. Ill let others give you their experience.

Bring back the spyderhawk salt!

Edit:
Not my thread, dont know where the original post went.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Sat May 22, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Re: Re: Tool for gardening (prep for new plants)?

Post by Evil D »

I haven't had an actual garden in forever but general yard work, trimming weeds and vines is usually my Spyderhawk or whatever else I'm carrying. A hawkbill is great for getting in tight places to make careful pull cuts. A smart person would just use pruning shears but here we are lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 10:52 pm
Bump.

This gets talked about a good bit. There have been a couple threads on it as well. Ill let others give you their experience.

Bring back the spyderhawk salt!

Edit:
Not my thread, dont know where the original post went.

I never had one but believe the Spyderhawk basically is a Pac Salt 1 hawkbill, right?

Since the Pac Salt 1 SE does great on things like smaller branches and the like already, I agree that this in an inward curved blade must be even better!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am happy with the Native Salt, Tasman Salt and the sheepsfoot Caribbean, all with a SE. I would like something even bigger, it will probably be the SE K390 Police. It would be nice to have a hawkbill SE Police.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
benben

Post by benben »

Any larger serrated Salt will work great, exactly the reason I bought my Pacific Salt. But definitely get serrated!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Any long SE blade in the yard is a winner. My go-to is a Tenacious.

There is a certain advantage to the hawkbill. But I don’t think it’s worth it, a normal leaf blade is more versatile.
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 2:52 am
A smart person would just use pruning shears but here we are lol.
This. Stihl PP60/70/80 depending on hand size. Small garden scissors for vegetable garden maintenance, harvesting, and flowers. These two work best most often.

OTOH, I just ordered the Pac Salt 2 LC200N in SE for when I'm too lazy to get the hand pruners or scissors out of the garden tool bucket. LOL, it's only several steps away, and I need the exercise.
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

Pacific Salt 2 works well for those random yard/garden trimming tasks. And the yellow scales help it from getting lost
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

derangedhermit wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 9:00 am

OTOH, I just ordered the Pac Salt 2 LC200N in SE for when I'm too lazy to get the hand pruners or scissors out of the garden tool bucket. LOL, it's only several steps away, and I need the exercise.
Hahahaha! You're cracking me up. "I have this $150 knife in my pocket, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to use it!" Pruning, hacking, filet mignon, sushi...

Your comment about the Stihl pruners intrigued me, so I clicked my way on over to Amazon. They don't carry them! But the next part of the search led me to Felco, which apparently is another top-shelf manufacturer. They're being delivered tomorrow, and I'm just as excited as if there was a new Spyderco Sprint model in the mail. Thanks for spending my money!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Anything Spyderedged in the garden will be useful for grabbing what needs cutting but the SE Tasman Salt and SE Spyderhawk Salt are positively magical at this task.

Has the Spyderhawk been discontinued or just bumped out of a Seki-City queue by a K390 Spydie more in demand?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:23 pm
derangedhermit wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 9:00 am

Hahahaha! You're cracking me up. "I have this $150 knife in my pocket, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to use it!" Pruning, hacking, filet mignon, sushi...

Your comment about the Stihl pruners intrigued me, so I clicked my way on over to Amazon. They don't carry them! But the next part of the search led me to Felco, which apparently is another top-shelf manufacturer. They're being delivered tomorrow, and I'm just as excited as if there was a new Spyderco Sprint model in the mail. Thanks for spending my money!
Felco makes excellent pruners. The one I use in the garden is from my grandfather. He passed in 1977.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 1:46 pm
Anything Spyderedged in the garden will be useful for grabbing what needs cutting but the SE Tasman Salt and SE Spyderhawk Salt are positively magical at this task.

Has the Spyderhawk been discontinued or just bumped out of a Seki-City queue by a K390 Spydie more in demand?
It was discontinued quite some time ago. The orange ones were a Sprint for the people who waffled and missed out on the yellow, then whined about it.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:20 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 1:46 pm

It was discontinued quite some time ago. The orange ones were a Sprint for the people who waffled and missed out on the yellow, then whined about it.
Ah, thanks. I guess Spyderco can’t keep producing models that need gardens to prove their usefulness. :rolleyes:
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

When they first started talking about the yellow SpyderHawk Salt it was going to be a Sprint as well. They chose to go regular production instead, and it lasted several years before being discontinued for slow sales.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I think Felco makes some of the best pruners. Felco 2 Classic.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Harpy or Byrd Cara Cara Rescue 2 at present, often joined by a Stihl folding saw and ARS pruning shears (who I think makes most of the Stihl saws and pruners marked "MADE IN JAPAN").
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

Thanks for all the suggestions. In retrospect, I agree that pruners are probably the best approach, but she did ask for a knife. :)