Pretty tight action PM3 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BillHD28

Pretty tight action PM3 LW

Post by BillHD28 »

So I bought my first Spyderco while in Pigeon Forge on vacation. As you can see by the title I went with the PM3 LW. And to my surprise it is rather tight. I’ve seen many people on YouTube flick these babies open with ease straight out of the box. But I’m hoping it just needs a little breaking in. Was thinking of loosening the pivot screw a smidge and see if that helped.

I don’t care about fidgeting with it as it’s a tool not a toy. But I’d like for it to be smoother than it is at the moment because it take a little more effort that I expected. I reckon what I’m asking is there anything I should try other than messing with the pivot screw as I’m new to messing with knives (I’ve always just carried an old timer) so I really don’t have an idea of their working parts although I’m sure it’s simple to figure out. Any advice is much appreciated
VooDooChild

Re: Pretty tight action PM3 LW

Post by VooDooChild »

Adjust the pivot.

You should be able to get a compression lock to have very good action with little to no blade play.

Or try returning/exchanging/warranty if the pivot doesnt work.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I usually try a small drop of oil on new knives where metal meets metal and just using them to get it to wear in. I just checked my Para 3 LW and it can be flicked open and closed without ever touching the pivot.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Are you able to flick other knives?
You need to press in the hole forward not sideways.

I would use it as is for 1 week.
Open it daily 50x.

It it does not get better loose the pivot screw a 1/8-1/4 turn.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Wash it with hot soapy water. Sometimes they're gritty from the factory. If that doesn't help, loosen the pivot on the non lock side.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

You can try adjusting the pivot, you can try washing it out. My suggestion? Just keep using the knife.

My Para 3 LW came very tight, but has broken in nicely. I think because the blade rides directly on the FRN, it takes a bit longer to break in than the G-10 versions.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I agree with everyone else and say let it break in for a while before you adjust anything. After about a week if it is still too tight then you can try backing out the pivot screw an ⅛ of a turn.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

My teal one was quite tight but has loosened up nicely with some oil and flicking, I didn’t want to mess with the pivot because it came well centred.
I agree that you could try wash it, blow it out with compressed air and re oil it first.
If you need to adjust the pivot remember apply loc tite and let it dry for 24hrs.