Para 3 for large hands?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Para 3 for large hands?

Post by Doc Dan »

I think the Para 3 will be too small. I normally wear XXL gloves, though there are brands where I can tightly wear XL. The P3 is too small for me. I find the Native 5 too small. For a knife in that size range I can use a Delica if I choke up high against the guard. I am thinking an Endela would be nice, though. The Manix 2 LW is okay in my hand, not the best, but okay enough that I like it. The Paramilitary 2 is a bit tight. I overall prefer the Endura with handle mod. I do have the Lil Native, but it is a 3 finger knife, 3.5 if I squish my fingers in tight. I said all of that to say, I think the Para 3 will be unsatisfactory.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I think that the real issue here is wether or not you feel the need of a full anchor point for your pinkie. I agree that it's nice to have an available four finger grip, but I also don't feel like it's strictly required for a light to medium duty EDC, especially if you're a habitual choil user and the knife has an otherwise hand filling shape (as the Para 3 does).

The only way to know for sure will be to try one, but the suggestions for a PM2 are probably a safer bet.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bourget117

Post by Bourget117 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:51 am
I think the Para 3 will be too small. I normally wear XXL gloves, though there are brands where I can tightly wear XL. The P3 is too small for me. I find the Native 5 too small. For a knife in that size range I can use a Delica if I choke up high against the guard. I am thinking an Endela would be nice, though. The Manix 2 LW is okay in my hand, not the best, but okay enough that I like it. The Paramilitary 2 is a bit tight. I overall prefer the Endura with handle mod. I do have the Lil Native, but it is a 3 finger knife, 3.5 if I squish my fingers in tight. I said all of that to say, I think the Para 3 will be unsatisfactory.
It’s tough when purchasing from online. Not many places, if any at all, around to hold them in my hand first before purchasing.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Looking at that picture, the "hook" at the end of the handle on the para 3 might hit you in a bad spot. You may want something that is larger (pm2/manix) or has a more gradual or no curve at the end of the handle if you want something smaller(native 5/sage/delica).
Leksy

Post by Leksy »

To my mind, Para3 is much more "xxl hand friendly" than Native or Delica (if we talk around ~3" blades).
My hand is "M to L" (I wear 9" size gloves) and I have so much free space when 3-finger gripping it, or 4-finger with index on choil (for these grips, I believe, it was designed).
Matus

Post by Matus »

Para 3 handle is not small, but the large rounding at the end effectively shortens the usable length where you can get a firm grip by about 1 cm. I have seen only one custom scales (reminded kinda of Strider) that would work better for really large hands. I have glove size 9 and run into the end of the usable grip when I put my thumb on the ramp. It is ok for me, but it limits with how much force one can bear on the blade.

Wait, there is a YT video that discusses this:

https://youtu.be/xdc3qOO9SBA
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Eratus

Post by Eratus »

Handle size seems to be very subjective. I’m 6”6 with size 11 glove (or largest in stock normally). For me the Para 3 has a tight but comfortable fit, using the choil. If you want handle to spare, look for another knife, if you like a locked in feel, the para 3 should be good.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:21 pm
aaronkb wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:58 pm
I probably should have specified that I always use the choil, but that’s my preference on any knife - I prefer my hand close to the cutting edge for the best control.

I guess if one really always wants to use the choil (which is fine!) the Para 3 must be a comfy, very locked-in-the-hand feeling knife!

I still (and this is just an respectful question!) don't really understand why they did not go the Endura/Delica way with PM2/Para 3 and gave the smaller model thinner bladestock - in fact effectively on the Para 3 it is overall even "thicker" than on the PM2, since there is less bladelength for tapering.
Absolutely. I love being able to abuse a para 3 because it’s such a tough little knife, but I’d kill for a thinner version of it - especially on the lightweight models, which I’m inclined to be more gentle with anyway.
Bourget117

Post by Bourget117 »

It amazes me with so many different opinions. Some people with really large hands find the para 3 comfortable. Others say even the para 2 might not be comfortable with large hands. I really wish there was a place that sold all of them so I could try before I buy.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I wear L to XL gloves and find the Para 3 comfortable as long as I use the choil.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Bourget117 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:52 pm
It amazes me with so many different opinions. Some people with really large hands find the para 3 comfortable. Others say even the para 2 might not be comfortable with large hands. I really wish there was a place that sold all of them so I could try before I buy.
Keep in mind that we’re all pretty specific about our preferences - we’re all knife geeks here.

For example, I don’t particularly love the ergonomics of the Manix 2 - the secondary finger guard hits me in the wrong spot. That said, I haven’t sold it off because I do enjoy it as a work knife, especially when I’m wearing leather gloves. At the end of the day, it’s a 3+“ super steel blade with a hole in it and weighs practically nothing - not a lot to complain about when you get right down to it.

Try the Para 3, or a PM2 if you’re feeling adventurous. If it doesn’t work for you, Spydercos tend to hold their value pretty well and you can always sell or trade it on.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Rockjumper might be the best solution. It has more handle room than any of the Native/Delica/Para 3 knives, yet is not large.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bourget117 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:52 pm

I don´t think that this is weird, but just like this:

- If people with somewhat larger hands are fine with always holding the knife with a finger in a choil the Para 3 is more than large enough and has certainly very good ergos
I have L to XL hands and even a Chaparral has enough grip area when using the choil. But this knife, much like the DFly, was imho really designed for that

- But if one wants to use the "main" grip behind the choil regularely, the particular "has to look like a PM2" - design makes this less than ideal on the Para 3. On a knife that is as bulky and heavy as the Para 3 (even the linerless lightweight version is not lighter than lets say a Delica, which has liners, a longer grip area and is in the same size category) I personally want the "main" grip behind the choil to be good too - in prolongued use it is nice being able to change from choked up to behind-the-choil, and that "hook" hinders that, makes the grip uncomfortable and as Matus (and the guy i the vid he linked) has said one gets less leverage.

- Spyderco actually has figured out perfectly how to design a SMALL folder handle, so it fits all handsizes: Look at Sage, Native, Chap and so on: On all of these models the lower part of the handle, where the fingers sit, is longer than the upper part plus has no hook but a flat section towards the end as long as possible, to make room for the fingers.
The Para 3 handle though is longer on the upper part of the handle (where the palm rests) and the lower part for the fingers is additionally restricted by that "hook" (I think this is cause the goal was to make it look like a smaller PM2 as much as possible)
I personally don´t like that: The "hook" forces me to choke up, and WHEN I am choked up I am locked in in the choil anyway and don´t need the "hook" anymore for anything.

I attached a very bad pic from a youtube video where you can perhaps see what I mean (Sage 5 vs Para 3).
But again, if you like the choked up grip on the Para 3 as your main grip: It sure will be large enough! But I´d still go Sage 5 (or Watu) or, if you´re fine with backlocks: Delica or Salt for the slicier blades of these models.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

p
Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:57 pm
Spyderco actually has figured out perfectly how to design a SMALL folder handle, so it fits all handsizes: Look at Sage, Native, Chap and so on: On all of these models the lower part of the handle, where the fingers sit, is longer than the upper part plus has no hook but a flat section towards the end as long as possible, to make room for the fingers.
The Para 3 handle though is longer on the upper part of the handle (where the palm rests) and the lower part for the fingers is additionally restricted by that "hook" (I think this is cause the goal was to make it look like a smaller PM2 as much as possible)
I personally don´t like that: The "hook" forces me to choke up, and WHEN I am choked up I am locked in in the choil anyway and don´t need the "hook" anymore for anything.
... this. The butt on the Para 3 looks sweet (guys, stay focused), but when I choke back and put my thumb on the ramp - my pinky tends to land on the hook. It feels less obtrusive with the Lightweight version, but I really think that Spyderco could have shaped this part a bit differently and loose a bit of the PM2 look in return.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:31 am
p
Wartstein wrote:
Spyderco actually has figured out perfectly how to design a SMALL folder handle, so it fits all handsizes: Look at Sage, Native, Chap and so on: On all of these models the lower part of the handle, where the fingers sit, is longer than the upper part plus has no hook but a flat section towards the end as long as possible, to make room for the fingers.
... this. The butt on the Para 3 looks sweet (guys, stay focused), but when I choke back and put my thumb on the ramp - my pinky tends to land on the hook. It feels less obtrusive with the Lightweight version, but I really think that Spyderco could have shaped this part a bit differently and loose a bit of the PM2 look in return.

I am not even sure if they really should have shaped the Para 3 handle more sensible like they normally do with small folders, or if it is actually cool to have a "baby PM 2 niche knife" mainly for rather small hands - my thing is just that I am always puzzled how this knife could get so vastly popular as a user, when functionally speaking and compared to other small Spyderco folders imho it suffers somewhat from some features it took from the PM2 performance wise speaking (handle shape / blade stock).

Anyway: Glad, that so many enjoy the Para 3 as it is!
For those who don´t and want a small comp.lock folder there is always the Sage 5 :)

Only thing that can be a bit annoying sometimes: The extreme number of variations and steels the Para 3 gets, and that those who just can´t warm up to it miss out on those options. I sometimes think a more "agreeable" design like the Sage 5 would be better suited for this, since I have a feeling that the Para 3 is more a "either you really like it or you really don´t" - thing
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

Para 3 LW looks totally cute exactly as it is (in fact, I hope to get my hands on the S90V or rex 45 eventually). Should I ever get the G10 version, I would most likely get some custom scales.
Eratus

Post by Eratus »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:51 am
Matus wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:31 am
p
Wartstein wrote:

I am not even sure if they really should have shaped the Para 3 handle more sensible like they normally do with small folders, or if it is actually cool to have a "baby PM 2 niche knife" mainly for rather small hands - my thing is just that I am always puzzled how this knife could get so vastly popular as a user, when functionally speaking and compared to other small Spyderco folders imho it suffers somewhat from some features it took from the PM2 performance wise speaking (handle shape / blade stock).

Anyway: Glad, that so many enjoy the Para 3 as it is!
For those who don´t and want a small comp.lock folder there is always the Sage 5 :)

Only thing that can be a bit annoying sometimes: The extreme number of variations and steels the Para 3 gets, and that those who just can´t warm up to it miss out on those options. I sometimes think a more "agreeable" design like the Sage 5 would be better suited for this, since I have a feeling that the Para 3 is more a "either you really like it or you really don´t" - thing
I think its the iconic look of the Paramilitary 2 and the Para 3 that makes it so popular. The blade shape, the thumb hole, thumb ramp etc. If you ask people who uses knives but are not active on this forum, what a Spyderco looks like, most people will probably think of a PM2 or Para 3.
pinker

Post by pinker »

Bit of a thread necro, but with all the talk of pocket-ability / having a knife that disappears into your pocket, I think we sometimes forget that handling and usage are the most important aspects of a EDC knife. Even more so than debating the minutia of blade steels.

I recently purchased a Native and just can't get along with it due to its diminutive grip size.

Paramilitary 2 for me or Manix 2 all day.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

The Para3 should be fine I also wear XXL Gloves and the end of the handle sits snugly in my palm. Believe it or not it is very comfortable.

I find the Para3 excels with a completely SE edge in S30V, there is allot more cutting power than one might imagine.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BeggarSo wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:35 pm
The Para3 should be fine I also wear XXL Gloves and the end of the handle sits snugly in my palm. Believe it or not it is very comfortable.

I find the Para3 excels with a completely SE edge in S30V, there is allot more cutting power than one might imagine.

.... You mean when your index finger is in the choil, right?
Cause for me - "just" L to XL hands - the Para 3 grip area BEHIND the choil is too short for a good four finger grip

... and I had a Para 3 LW SE for a month or so (of course in BD1N, not S30V) - pretty good cutter indeed, but could be even better with a thinner blade imo.