My Kapara’s pivot screw is stuck...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

My Kapara’s pivot screw is stuck...

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I’ve started doing some light modding on my dlt Kapara, and while most of the screws have the blue or white temporary loctite, the clip side pivot screw appears to have permanent loctite...

Any more pressure on it will break threads, but in order to do the work I want I’ve gotta be able to get that screw out. I’ve already tried hitting the back of the driver, and yes I’m using wiha bits. I guess I can do the anno work I want with the pivot still attached, but it’s much harder to center it with only one screw to adjust.

Any suggestions help. Thanks in advance.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
tbdoc4kids

Re: My Kapara’s pivot screw is stuck...

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Perhaps gentle application of a soldering iron to the stuck screw? That may soften the Loctite sufficiently to allow you to remove it.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Try warming it up with a hair dryer or short blast from a heat gun. Heat usually busts stubborn thread locker.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

There must be one guy on the line who just doesn’t know when enough is enough. Seems like you got one of his. My Kapara was easy to disassemble, including the pivot.

Heat is your best bet as the others have said.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JAS777

Post by JAS777 »

Im not sure i didnt take mine apart, but maybe that side has a "D" shaped barrel? Did the pivot screw come out on the other side? If so maybe once u take that screw out & remove that scale & blade u can just push the clip side barrel screw out from the inside? Id like to see youre mods when youre done. Maybe u can post some pics for us.
JAS777

Post by JAS777 »

So i just saw nick shabazz has a great disassembly vid on utube ( i dont know how to add a link on here ) but search on utube. It does look like its a "D" shaped pivot ,just gotta push it out from the inside. I have both the dlt exclusive & the original kepara but mine is before they did the CQI. :( the CQI made it amazingly smooth.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:18 pm
There must be one guy on the line who just doesn’t know when enough is enough. Seems like you got one of his. My Kapara was easy to disassemble, including the pivot.

Heat is your best bet as the others have said.
I’ll give it a shot. I’m mostly just confused why it’s just the one side of the pivot and no other screw.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
JAS777

Post by JAS777 »

Hi i tried posting earlier but it didnt go thru for some reason. The clip side pivot screw is "D " shaped so it wont turn unscrew the screws on the other side remove the scale & the blade & u should be able to push the clip side pivot screw out from the inside. Nick shabazz has a good disassembly video on utube check it out. Id love to see your kapara mod pics too.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Use the shock method to break the bond. Works every time an no messing around with heat

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I’ve always used the hair dryer method, sometimes it takes a while but it’s never failed me.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve always used the heat method. I hold a spare loose torx bit in the screw head, and heat that up with a jet lighter.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Can you post some pics? Is it possible the loctite has stuck the rather wide pivot screw/fastener onto the liner or scale? Perhaps it's not so much the loctite is in the threads but beyond the threads? That's a more complex issue if true.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:34 am
Can you post some pics? Is it possible the loctite has stuck the rather wide pivot screw/fastener onto the liner or scale? Perhaps it's not so much the loctite is in the threads but beyond the threads? That's a more complex issue if true.
Nope it’s definitely the threads. I slid the whole pivot out with the stuck screw so I could clean under the clip side scale properly. Fortunately that makes doing the heat method easier.
Lightly insane.

ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:04 pm
Use the shock method to break the bond. Works every time an no messing around with heat
Shock doesn't always work in my experience. OP also said he'd tried shock first and it didn't work for him.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:56 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:04 pm
Shock doesn't always work in my experience. OP also said he'd tried shock first and it didn't work for him.
Ok
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!