Using a diamond steel for field touch up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
S-3 ranch

Using a diamond steel for field touch up

Post by S-3 ranch »

I use a forschner diamond steel to freshen up my filet knives,on the boat and in the kitchen what steels are these capable of doing field touch ups ?? I really don’t want to waste my time on my more expensive
Spyderco knives in say k390, v-toku2 , ect , ,
And maybe put one in the shop for hunters and workers to use ( no telling what knife steel they will be using besides the BD1 and case CV ?
Thanks in advance
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Wandering_About

Re: Using a diamond steel for field touch up

Post by Wandering_About »

I have no idea on that specific sharpener, but my favorite field/pocket sharpener series are the DMT Diafold series. Good quality and you can "fear no steel" with them.

For those that maintain edges more frequently the Spyderco Double Stuff is a good sharpener.

Fallkniven DC3 or 4 are well respected but I find them a bit too coarse overall for me.

DMT fine/XTRA fine diafold is my top choice for field/pocket sharpener.
Last edited by Wandering_About on Fri May 14, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Dmt diafold are great
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've carried a pair of DMT Diafolds in my back pocket for years. X-Coarse/Coarse and Fine/X-Fine. That can handle anything from a quick touch up to repairing a totally trashed edge on any steel they've come out with so far.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I will second (or third?) the Diafolds. I even use them at home because you get wonderful fine control over angle and pressure with them. Well liked by Michael Christy and Pete from Cedric and Ada of YouTube fame.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Diamond "steels" are great for quick touch ups, but I agree that a double sided diamond plate, or the like is even more useful if you have more severe dulling/damage. On top of that a full sized chefs steel takes up a lot more space in a pack than a compact double sided hone.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Really one combination coarse/fine in the pack would do well, I used a diamond coarse, a diamond fine and a finishing strop for all of my sharpening for years.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Gtscotty wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:42 am
Really one combination coarse/fine in the pack would do well, I used a diamond coarse, a diamond fine and a finishing strop for all of my sharpening for years.
Ok that is my next question strop supplies

This is going to sound very beginner like , but as I am collecting different types of steel I am upgrading my equipment
Strops
What different compounds for different steel, green for ? White? Diamond? Pikaso liquid for higher HRC ?

This idea came up in this forum about sharpening
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I've stropped steels up to M390/20CV/204P and XHP on plain leather with good results. I use a KME with diamonds if I want to set a bevel. After that, most of my touchups are with ceramic rods on the Sharpmaker or a DMT diafold.
FK

Post by FK »

Agree with DMT Diafold for field sharpening, coarse/fine (blue/red) would be my choice for EDC.
If the knife use is for really rough duty, the Double Stuff 2 would be my carry.

Regards,
FK