Left handed SpyderEdge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Left handed SpyderEdge

Post by Josh Crutchley »

This past week I've been strictly carrying a SE knife to get a better feel for it. That led to me discovering SE performs better right handed than left during certain tasks especially things like feather sticking. The chisel grind wants to dig into whatever your cutting when used bevel up. Since most knives are made for right handed people the serrations are ground into the show side.

It appears that Spyderco has made left handed SpyderEdge(LHSE) in the past if these Police pictures are accurate.
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (4.46 KiB) Viewed 957 times
unnamed.jpg
Does anyone know if Spyderco used the LHSE on anything other than the Police?
SG89

Re: Left handed SpyderEdge

Post by SG89 »

Not sure... I bet Deacon would know
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would love to try this if it were readily available on a model. I've done some whittling with the standard grind with some success but I do think it would be easier with the grind on the other side.

This is of course one of those "please the righties and screw the lefties" ordeals though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Mariner, Calypso Jr, Executive and Delica were left handed too
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

knifemovieguy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:46 pm
The left handed SE models are very rare at this time and it's very unlikely I'll ever acquire one. I really want to like SE but it's just not doing it for me since I'm ambidextrous. The LHSE looks like a good idea but I'll never know.
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:41 pm
knifemovieguy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:46 pm
The left handed SE models are very rare at this time and it's very unlikely I'll ever acquire one. I really want to like SE but it's just not doing it for me since I'm ambidextrous. The LHSE looks like a good idea but I'll never know.
I was lucky enough to try Santa Fe Mariner
kobold

Post by kobold »

Reminds me of how virtuovice on YT reprofiled his Gunny Hunter and other Bark River knives to be FFG on the left side - leaving them convex on the right side - to get the perfect feather sticking machine.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

My main complaint with the Z-cut is the serrations are on the wrong side (for righties). It matters less for random EDC tasks but it’s just wrong for kitchen tasks.

Maybe Sal decided to let lefties have one thing in this world go their way.
🤷🏻‍♂️
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Chisel grinds tend to steer in the cut. We have been told that the current configuration was decided upon for safety reasons because it will tend to steer away from a right handed person.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've had a couple of those left handed POLICE models about 10 years ago and frankly I couldn't see any significant advantages using the one that I finally traded. I ended up trading both of them because I'm right handed and it just didn't make any difference for my uses at all.

Spydergirl is right about "The Deacon" being the foremost authority on left handed models from that era. He is also an expert on most of the "sheepsfoot" models as well. He's also at the top of the game with the KOPA and KIWI models too.
Matus

Post by Matus »

In my opinion they are all left handed since the scallops are ground on the left side of the blade
🤷🏼‍♀️
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If you grab a roll of pepperoni or summer sausage with your left hand and your serrated knife with your right and start cutting thin slices, you can tell the difference between serrations ground on the presentation (left) side and one ground on the right (pile) side. One of life's little ironies that so-called right-handed knives work better when used left-handed.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:32 am
Chisel grinds tend to steer in the cut. We have been told that the current configuration was decided upon for safety reasons because it will tend to steer away from a right handed person.
The steering in the cut is something I'm not really used to. I find it's less of a problem with reprofiled SE. I've not thought about the safety aspect before, makes sense because the lefties all have the SE cut on the other side.

I only see the LHSE on older knives is this something Spyderco still does? I know they don't really have a lot of left hand models as it is. I can only find the PM2 but it only comes in PE. Hopefully us lefties can get some K390 LHSE in the near future.
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Dang.

I should've searched for recent threads on this topic before posting my own, don't know how this one slipped past.

I think my main concern is sharpening serrations on a goldenstone. Maybe I'm doing it incorrectly but if the SE were ground into the right side of the blade it would be easier for lefties to sharpen the SE employing the left dominant hand and reserving the few swipes on the chisel side for the right hand.

Does this make sense or have I been using the stone incorrectly?

Thanks for posting, Josh.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Supacede wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:43 pm
Dang.

I should've searched for recent threads on this topic before posting my own, don't know how this one slipped past.

I think my main concern is sharpening serrations on a goldenstone. Maybe I'm doing it incorrectly but if the SE were ground into the right side of the blade it would be easier for lefties to sharpen the SE employing the left dominant hand and reserving the few swipes on the chisel side for the right hand.

Does this make sense or have I been using the stone incorrectly?

Thanks for posting, Josh.
If you use a Sharpmaker there's no need to switch hands but I've never used the Golden stone.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Personally, both the byrd Duckfoot and the Goldenstone felt awkward for a long time, even sharpening presentation side serrations right-handed. Not as bad as trying to sharpen a plain edge, rocking the sharpener back and forth and doing half the strokes with your arms crossed, but not very comfortable. The whole reason I bought a Sharpmaker was for serrations.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

All the lefties need to let Sal know we want some LHSE K390!!
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:51 am
All the lefties need to let Sal know we want some LHSE K390!!
I'd be happy with some LHSE vg-10 and h1 but I hope you get your tool steel, too!