Much needed CQI on Taichung Spydercos.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Much needed CQI on Taichung Spydercos.

Post by JRinFL »

I know it has been brought up before by others, but I had to mention it again. I have so far fixed 3 models to improve the detent on Taichung made comp lock knives. I have fixed it on the Amalgam, the Caribbean, and the Kapara. All three had detents that were barely functional. The Amalgam being the lightest.

While the fix is relatively easy if you have the tools and inclination to do it, it is not something that the end user should ever need to do.

Please Spyderco, fix this issue.

Linked below is the post on how to fix the detent and what use. Thanks to Shunsui and others for the fix & write up.
shunsui wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:51 am
I posted earlier that my Amalgam shook open rather easily. I ordered a KYOCERA 1635-0625.094 Ball Nose End Mill to modify the detent hole.
https://www.amazon.com/KYOCERA-1635-062 ... B01MSM7KDD

First of all BIG thanks to M0DiFiEDZ for his classic video on all this detent mod stuff.
https://youtu.be/S5H96riLLS4

Also BIG thanks to Nick Shabazz for his video on the Amalagam:
How to disassemble and maintain the Spyderco Amalgam Pocketknife
https://youtu.be/nwqccMaeNpU

This is the stuff you need to do the job.

You can do the job with just hand force. No need for a drill or dremel tool.
I used a plain tap & die set collet to hold the KYOCERA 1635-0625.094

You'll need a T8 torx driver. I'd get a Wiha if I were you.
The Triplet 10x is an eye loupe to get a better look at your work.
The blue and white thing is just a carved up toothbrush handle I use for a sturdy pry bar.
I never even taped up the blade, but you might want to.

When you take the knife apart, you'll notice the detent hole is drilled all the way through the blade. This is handy because you can practice on the side that's not used for the detent and get a feel for the cutting tool.

Work slowly, cutting just a bit at a time, and reassemble the knife to test the detent as you go.

I tested the detent strength with a trigger pull gauge.

My original detent was between 7-11 oz. You could shake it open with one shake.

I did three grinds on the detent hole progressively increasing the detent strength:

15 oz
1 lb 7 oz
2 lb 4 oz

At 2 lbs 4 oz, the visible detent ball was about 80-90% in the hole. I didn't want to take it any further as I wanted the ball supporting the lock bar, rather than the bar flat on the blade.

Note that what I've done is enlarge the very top of the detent hole with a larger ball shaped cutting tool. The result is a bevel or cup at the top of the hole for the detent ball to nestle down in.
Keep in mind that everything here is rather small. Doesn't take much cutting to do the job.
I came close to overshooting where I wanted to be. Go slow.

This is the result

The Amalgam is a sweet knife. I wouldn't have gone to all this trouble if it wasn't worth it.
Mine cut better than any knife I've gotten out of the box. Wasn't going to send that back.
The added bonus is now I can modify my other ball detent knives more to my liking.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Re: Much needed CQI on Taichung Spydercos.

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't have any issues with my caribbean's detent.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

My SpydieChef has a weaker detent than i prefer... i have not yet modified it and not sure i will.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:38 am
I'm sure there is variance both in the strength of the detent and in user preference. Mine was much softer than I felt was acceptable.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

My Caribbean is also soft but not enough to be worried about it opening in pocket. I actually enjoy the softer opening.

But my Kapara has what I would consider a strong detent so they are capable of making them.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:55 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:38 am
I'm sure there is variance both in the strength of the detent and in user preference. Mine was much softer than I felt was acceptable.
i mean, it's way weaker than my yojimbo, but i've never worried about it opening on accident in my pocket or waistband and it still flicks open. i just chalk it up to being part of the good action of the smoothest spyderco i own.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The detent thing is hit and miss. Some are fine and some aren't. My Kapara actually has a fairly strong detent. Yet JR says his wasn't. I wouldn't argue with him based on my experience. I've had to fix a few Taichung models myself. But it's not only the Taichung maker that has these problems. I have a Para 3 LW SPY27 that needs the ol' detent fix too. The Para 3 LW M390 I have has an overly strong detent. So they definitely vary
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

a less precise, but still effective way to do this is with a ball burr (diamond grit coated is cheap and lasts through multiple uses) to chamfer the edges of the detent ball socket.

I actually did this to two Sage 1s (mine and a coworker's) and my Sage 2, because the sharp edge of the blade hole was shaving the top off the detent balls, the resulting stronger detent was just a bonus.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I made this same thread a while back when I got my (the same) Caribbean. I'll be fine with it after a while until I pick up a different Spyderco that has a much stronger detent and then it's a bit shocking. Some of these knives could easily pass a "gravity knives" so I think it's a legit concern that needs a high priority look.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I agree that this could use some attention. I have a few with very weak detents. I have mentioned it many times. It effects my decision to purchase some Taichung folders.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Several years ago detent ball fell out on ti Squarehead, it was easy to fix but still. Detent on Rhino was ok.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

After watching Shabazz scar his Caribbean during disassembly, I backed away from taking mine down to see what I could do about my very weak detent.

I decided drop-shuttiness wasn’t that important so I cranked down the pivot. Opening is not exactly satisfying.

So, I agree, detents should keep blades from opening in pockets (or from under the weight of their handles), and Taichung is inconsistent with its detents.

Among the LL-RIL-CL options, my Kapara, Sages (1, 2, 5), and Zulu are fine, my GB1 is marginal, and my Air and Caribbean are a worry.

Yes, please improve Taichung on the detent issue.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The action on my first Taichung was so disappointing I sold it. It seems like the first runs out of Taichung have issues, and these issues are usually fixed by the second run, so I try to avoid the first runs.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

My Kapara’s detent is very good, as is the Watu, but that’s a very light blade. My Caribbean wasn’t until I bored out the detent hole a little. My Hundred Pacer had a heavier blade and the detent was almost non existent.

My Shaman has a heavier blade still but no detent issue at all. I agree - this shouldn’t be an issue.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

My kapara has too strong of a detent and my GB2 has a light detent where I can shake the blade out upside down. Also I hate how sharp the **** thumb hole is on most models. Funny my new k390 endura had a nice melt job from the factory. Thumbhole was very smooth not sharp.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:32 pm
My kapara has too strong of a detent and my GB2 has a light detent where I can shake the blade out upside down. Also I hate how sharp the **** thumb hole is on most models. Funny my new k390 endura had a nice melt job from the factory. Thumbhole was very smooth not sharp.

The thumb hole thing is highly debated. I actually use a Dremel to sharpen mine, I like then nice and crisp so there's less chance my thumb will slip off during opening. It's easier to dull the edge of the hole than it is to sharpen it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My Kapara is in my hand right now and the detent is just fine. It's impossible for me to shake it open, no matter how hard I try. I wonder how much variation there is within this model?
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I posted here before last year about my Gayle Bradley 2's weak detent, so weak that shaking the knife would open it. It is the only fatal flaw in an otherwise amazing knife and one of the best Spyderco ever produced.

Meanwhile, all the other Taichungs I have, the Sage 2, Techno 2, Swayback, Spydiechef, Ikuchi, Watu, DLT Smock, DLT Kapara, etc, all have fine detents.

Though I have only 1 detent defect in all my Taichungs and despite my love for these knives coming from Taiwan, it's always enough to make me second-guess about ordering another Taichung before reading all extensive reviews and researching about possible detent flaws.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

My Taichung Spydies have all been spot on. IMHO detent can be subjective as well. Obviously some are way off but people have preferences and not sure everyone will agree what is a good detent.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

For anyone with even moderate mechanical aptitude, this is an easy fix... don't take a pass on an otherwise great knife, just because it *might* need an easy adjustment to be perfect!

That said, it would be really nice if these otherwise excellent knives had consistent levels of blade retention, I can't imagine that it would be all that difficult to add a small relief cut on the blade hole as a running production change.

As a side note, my Caribbean is also very easy to wrist flick, I think the medium detent strength combined with a fairly long/heavy blade makes this possible... and I'm not sure a stronger detent would change things that much, without flirting with having too much retention for easy thumb opening.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...