Much needed CQI on Taichung Spydercos.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

Re: Much needed CQI on Taichung Spydercos.

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Sounds like it’s inconsistent. My Kapara is perfect, but the detent on my Watu, Rhino, and Caribbean are/were a touch light. Both the Watu and the Rhino were tuned to perfection by me ages ago, neither were notable experiences. Adding light pressure to the bar until the detent pops the way I want it to, Taichung’s tolerances are so spectacular that centering and action aren’t really effected. And I’ll go ahead and say the detent on the Caribbean is intentional, it works for it.

So yeah it probably is inconsistent in the “less than 200$ Taichung” category. But if you know how to disassemble and maintain your knives it’s a non-issue, especially with Taichung’s tight tolerances.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Of the Taichung models I own, only the GB2 has a weak detent --I can make the blade come out partially with a gravity drop. That said, I just don't bring the GB2 when I know that I'll be doing strenuous activity. It's still one of my favorite Spydies.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I feel like most of us can agree that knives shouldn't be easily opened with inertia/wrist flicks? I feel like that should be the minimum requirement of any detent.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:58 am
I feel like most of us can agree that knives shouldn't be easily opened with inertia/wrist flicks? I feel like that should be the minimum requirement of any detent.

Definitely. Missing the point of a detent if you can flick open your knife with just wrist power.

End users shouldn't have to modify their detents especially if it will lead to ruining their knives completely.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Agreed.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:00 am
Evil D wrote:
Agreed.
+1
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

As one of the first people to modify/increase detent in this fashion, I can confirm that many Taichung models faced this issue. I first did it on my original Southard model.

Taichung has improved in the last few years, but a few models still have the issue. It's most often a critical issue on flippers.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
James Y

Post by James Y »

My Caribbean (my only Taichung knife, bought in 2018) has a ‘softer’ detent than on my Golden compression locks, but even when I vigorously shake the closed knife, the detent holds the blade closed. I might be lucky, though. I do prefer a stronger detent like on the Golden ones.

Jim