Mystery Spyderco...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blokerjoker

Re: Mystery Spyderco...

Post by Blokerjoker »

I'm currently online with Amazon and have explained the situ (and emailed pics). I have said exactly my perspective that (a) I want a refund (which they've agreed to), and (b) that it shouldn't go back into circulation. Am on with customer services as I type...
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Rinzler wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:17 am
Just this last week people here were justifying buying knives on Amazon. Not shocking.
This is why I started that thread the other day: was afraid something like this could happen.

Hope he's able to return this with no hassle.
Blokerjoker

Post by Blokerjoker »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:52 am
Somebody bought a real Endura and then returned it but with a fake Para2 in the box. Sadly that isn’t at all uncommon. Unfortunately since Amazon is not a knife dealer they don’t realize it and just sell it to the next guy.

This is tough because you shouldn’t eat the cost but if you do return it they will probably just sell it to the next guy. On one hand throwing it off a bridge could be the right thing to do but then you get burned. On the other hand if you return it then someone else gets burned. I wouldn’t fault you either way, you didn’t do anything wrong. Just stick to actual knife dealers for now on.
Unfortunately real knife dealers don't take Amazon vouchers! But Amazon CS have been pretty good; they've agreed the refund and also agreed to take it out of circulation, so hopefully it won't be happening again with this knife...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

didn't sal design the pm2? that's eric's mark. definitely a fake and certainly not an endura.

🤣
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

PM2 has sal and eric marks
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:31 pm
PM2 has sal and eric marks
my bad. i didn't see sal's mark. is it always crooked?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:28 pm
didn't sal design the pm2? that's eric's mark. definitely a fake and certainly not an endura.

🤣
Sal designed the PM1. Eric improved it to produce the PM2. PM1 has just Sal’s mark, PM2 has both marks.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Blokerjoker wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:18 am
I'm currently online with Amazon and have explained the situ (and emailed pics). I have said exactly my perspective that (a) I want a refund (which they've agreed to), and (b) that it shouldn't go back into circulation. Am on with customer services as I type...
Thank you for the extra effort to get it out of circulation.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Most definitely a fake. Perhaps take a sharpie and write fake on the blade, so the next person knows. Or write a note and hide it in the box.

There ARE reputable dealers who sell through Amazon. Always check who the seller is. But it's easy to get burned on Amazon. If a deal seems too good to be true, it usually is.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mark1

Post by Mark1 »

I am new here. Can someone point out the details that show the PM2 in the pictures is fake. Thanks, Mark
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Sal's maker mark is in the wrong position. The jimping isn't cut correctly. The period after 'Golden' is supposed to be a comma. The drives on the torx screws are cut wrong. The texturing on the G-10 isn't correct. The chamfering on the G-10 is too rounded. The lockbar cutout is the wrong shape. There is nothing about it that doesn't look fake.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

One close look at the "Spyderco Bug" logo on the blade and it's an obvious fake.

To add to what Accutron pointed out, the shape of the blade is a big giveaway that it's fake as well. The tip of the blade looks like it is upswept and the opening hole is positioned incorrectly, being too close to the top of the spine.
-Nick :bug-red
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Accutron wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:16 pm
Sal's maker mark is in the wrong position. The jimping isn't cut correctly. The period after 'Golden' is supposed to be a comma. The drives on the torx screws are cut wrong. The texturing on the G-10 isn't correct. The chamfering on the G-10 is too rounded. The lockbar cutout is the wrong shape. There is nothing about it that doesn't look fake.
I've never seen a plunge cut on any of my PM 2's that looks like that.

It's a poor copy.
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

Even good dealers on Amazon can have bad inventory. The way Amazon works is each unique product gets an ASIN (product ID). Once that ASIN is in circulation ANYONE can come along and sell the same product on that ASIN. Often inventories at Amazon will get “commingled”. This means seller B and Seller A inventory will be in the same bin at Amazon and Amazon will pick any piece out when sold. Often counterfeiters will attach to an ASIN that has decent sellers. Amazon does bare minimum to keep counterfeits off their platform. Best way as others have said is purchase through an authorized dealer. Plenty around. Also if the price is below most authorized online retailers then you probably are not getting a bargin.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Huh, didn't see the issue was resolved before I made my last post. Glad it got taken out of rotation.

That's good to know Cricket Bite. I've had good luck with buying from known dealers through Amazon, but didn't realize their inventory might be mixed with others. I buy from them sometimes because they are fast and I get free shipping. I bought nearly a dozen Z-Cuts from Amazon during Christmas, no problems, I tried to buy 2 Z-cuts from BHQ and they botched the order and canceled it. Your mileage may vary. I will say one thing about me buying from them, I've owned enough Spyderco's to confidently spot a fake if they sent me one, I'd be more weary if not for that.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:09 pm
Most definitely a fake. Perhaps take a sharpie and write fake on the blade, so the next person knows. Or write a note and hide it in the box.
Good idea!

I'd talk to a customer service rep and make sure they understand it's a fake before taking this step, but a big "note: this item returned because it's a counterfeit" taped to the box and written on the blade of the knife will give the stock pickers a fighting chance of noticing the problem before it goes back on the shelf. And, in a worst-case scenario, makes it obvious to an unsuspecting buyer if it manages to get resold out of a discard pile.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:26 am
Rinzler wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:17 am
Just this last week people here were justifying buying knives on Amazon. Not shocking.

Spyderco used to sell directly on Amazon and I actually bought my first Spyderco on Amazon having it shipped free next day to the beach house we were renting. :D

It looks like even though Spyderco is not selling directly on Amazon at the moment, there are authorized dealers selling through Amazon FBA. I don't see anything wrong with that personally. Amazon has great customer service in my opinion on stuff that is FBA or Shipped and Sold by Amazon.

This is one of the main current sellers of Spyderco knives on Amazon...

"Onkata has been in business since 1962 and has operated an online storefront since 2006. Orders are shipped same day if ordered before 5:00pm EST from one of our own warehouses in Greenwood, IN or Ferndale, WA, or from one of Amazon's fulfilment centers to your door, usually in 2 days or less.

We currently represent Spyderco, Fein, Scratch and Peck, Accutec, Tajima, and RG Bullco brands directly. All items are authentic and purchased directly from the manufacturer or a manufacturer's agency."
Minor correction. Spyderco did not sell directly on Amazon, Amazon used to be a Spyderco Dealer. The problem was, if Amazon couldn't get something from Spyderco when they needed it, they would use a third party to fulfill the order. That meant that even though you ordered from an authorized dealer (Amazon) you might get a fake through third party fulfillment. Worse, when you rightly returned the fake to Amazon, it went back into stock to be sold to some other poor schmuck. That's why they are no longer an authorized dealer.