Traditional Pocketknife trend

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Traditional Pocketknife trend

Post by Doc Dan »

There is a trend of knife makers making traditional styled slip joint knives but using Moderne materials and construction. Benchmade, Lionsteel, and many others are making slip joints that require two hands to open. Spyderco actually made one a short while back that I think was superior to any of those. It had very good steel and simple construction, it was very ergonomic, and with the choil it was safer to use.
That knife was the SPY-DK. Unlike some of the other companies offerings this knife does not have a mushy action nor is it soft. The action is very stiff but it becomes very crisp as well after use. It fits a persons hand very well as it has the same basic handle as the urban light weight.

As can be seen although the knife is a bit shorter it is about the same size as a buck 301 or 302 in blade length. Also it is somewhat close to a Victorinox pioneer.

That pointy blade is really good for doing things like carving a pumpkin or opening the mail and it will zip through packages like nobody’s business. It also cuts cardboard really well because of that fall flat grind. What I like is that the blade is not very wide but is narrower than the usual Spyderco. The one thing that could be improved would be if it had a dent like the roadie. That would make opening much easier. I’m really surprised that this knife was not more popular than it was because overall it is pretty good and is better than the other offerings by other companies.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Thu May 13, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Re: Traditional Pocketknife trend

Post by JRinFL »

I would love to see more variation in the materials used in the SPY-DK. Jigged bone, Micarta, wood, etc. With and without bolsters. No need to change the steel (outside of exclusives) as it is just about ideal for its role in a knife like this. The Buck is an outlier as FFG is traditional on traditionals. Based on the releases coming out of Italy from other firms, we know they can use all the traditional scale materials to good effect.

Agreed on the dent as well. Bring it Spyderco!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kobold

Post by kobold »

My latest traditional. Handmade, it was only thirty dollars. :cool:

But I still need something on me that I can open with one hand.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kobold wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:59 am

The SPY-DK was only $39.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kobold

Post by kobold »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:08 am
kobold wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:59 am

The SPY-DK was only $39.

The question is how much would the MSRP be today if made out of brass and antler?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

From Italy, I would expect it to be $100+. People pay more for quality slipjoints these days.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kobold

Post by kobold »

True, what's going on with GEC is a bit crazy.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

When I was shopping for the S-3 ranch workers and guests gift knives we seriously looked at the Spyderco none locker URBAN , but the raven2 won out , so since case trapper is a popular we chose a liner lock
I guess those are considered traditional?
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I find it useful to distinguish between slip joint knives and traditional knives.

Traditionals are a subset of slip joint knives, but many slip joints are not traditionals.

Spyderco's slip joints pretty much all strike me as modern slip joints vs "traditionals" or "modern traditionals."

Semantics, i know, but think it helps with clarity.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:34 am
From Italy, I would expect it to be $100+. People pay more for quality slipjoints these days.
You have Miguel Nieto from Spain, doesn't offer hi-tech steels, but is cheap.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Enactive wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:42 am
I find it useful to distinguish between slip joint knives and traditional knives.

Traditionals are a subset of slip joint knives, but many slip joints are not traditionals.

Spyderco's slip joints pretty much all strike me as modern slip joints vs "traditionals" or "modern traditionals."

I've been wondering this lately, I'm glad you brought it up. I love this knife I just grabbed a few weeks ago. I've been calling it a traditional to my myself, but not really sure what to classify it as!?

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wish they'd make higher end versions of the Bug knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Just purchased a Manly Wasp slipjoint in S90V made by the, unknown to many, Manly bulgarian workshop. The way these guys ground their blades is amazing. Mine is 0.012 bte and cuts like a demon. I am sorry to say but this 70$ slipie is superior to many 100$ + western made slipits. It pays to watch this review
https://youtu.be/OgkkraaFYbc
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Pretty much any screwed together knife is not "traditional".

I like my Spy-DK, though for locations where one-hand opening is legal the Urban is a more versatile tool IMO.
It would definitely be cool to see a few of the Slipits get a premium materials treatment though and not just G10/CF/Ti scales either, though that would be a good start!

I guess the real question here though, is do you like Spyderco the way it is, or should we ask them to cover yet another market/assembly process? I'd hate to find that there really is a point where the brand is spread too thin and collapses under the weight of trying to be all things to all knife buyers.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Enactive wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:42 am

Agreed, I said similar on another thread awhile back, but not so well. I'd still be in favor of more traditional elements on some of the Spyderco slip joints.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

awa54 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:45 pm
Pretty much any screwed together knife is not "traditional".

I like my Spy-DK, though for locations where one-hand opening is legal the Urban is a more versatile tool IMO.
It would definitely be cool to see a few of the Slipits get a premium materials treatment though and not just G10/CF/Ti scales either, though that would be a good start!

I guess the real question here though, is do you like Spyderco the way it is, or should we ask them to cover yet another market/assembly process? I'd hate to find that there really is a point where the brand is spread too thin and collapses under the weight of trying to be all things to all knife buyers.
I have worried about this myself. Good point.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I wish they made more upmarket slip-its - the urban/spydk/ukpk are cool in FRN - but I'd love G10 or fancy scales, full liners and metal back spacers
awa54

Post by awa54 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:22 am

I've been wondering this lately, I'm glad you brought it up. I love this knife I just grabbed a few weeks ago. I've been calling it a traditional to my myself, but not really sure what to classify it as!?

I'm going with "Evolved Half Muskrat" :D
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:33 pm
I wish they made more upmarket slip-its - the urban/spydk/ukpk are cool in FRN - but I'd love G10 or fancy scales, full liners and metal back spacers
Yeah, it would be great. I would be happy at the moment for a re-introduction of the SPY-DK in different colors and an opening dent like the Roadie. (That would mean moving the bug over). I really like the knife the way it is, otherwise.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:33 pm
There was a titanium UKPK variant, as well as the HH g-10 UKPK.