Most Underestimated Steel.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Paraguy

Most Underestimated Steel.

Post by Paraguy »

In the days of of Maxament, Rex 45, 20cv, k390, Zwear and upcoming Magnacut etc, it is easy to underestimate steels that aren't new with a Rockwell above 65. What steels do you think are most underestimated? To me, it seems that VG10 and s30v get a bad rap among Spyderco loving knife nerds, despite being excellent steels. This is most likely because they are very accessible, being used in Spyderco’s non-sprint models. I would also say that D2 is quite underestimated. What do you more experienced fellas think?
"Some call me...Tim?"
vivi

Re: Most Underestimated Steel.

Post by vivi »

H1.
:unicorn
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

It's all about the heat treatment... but yes, looking at my Manly D2, D2 is underestimated when done properly.

Once this flexible ceramic thing is due to production, steel days are over, though :rolleyes: : https://youtu.be/VwlGme6AUtI
notorious fidgeteer
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

3V in folders. It gets a bad rap, but put some 3V with the Delta Heat treat in some folders like the Shaman, Manix XL, Military, GB1/GB2, and even the Endura and Endela, and I promise people wouldn't shut up about them.

AEB-L as well for folders. Highly regarded in fixed blades and kitchen knives, it would be great in folders paired with Micarta scales.

Agree with Vivi on H1 as well..
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

420HC, AEB-L.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BD1N comes to mind.
For me it performs a lot better in edge retention than it "should" according to objective tests, even Larrins.
And it is a dream to sharpen, even better than VG10 in that regard for me. Both how quickly it goes and how sharp the steel gets.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
z1r

Post by z1r »

I would say I'm experienced, but I do love my ZDP-189 Dragonfly, it's my most "exotic" steel. I just acquired a Rex45 Manix and have another M2 in CPM 20CV on the way. Looking forward to seeing how they perform.

Still jonesing for something in Maxamet but have found that S30V and D2 are quite serviceable. I also really like 12C27 cuz it gets real sharp and sharpens easily. 14C28N as well.

One thing I have found to be true is that it isn't so much the steel used but how it is heat treated. A particular steel can be fantastic as used by one maker but only so-so as used by another.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

z1r wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:22 pm
I would say I'm experienced, but I do love my ZDP-189 Dragonfly, it's my most "exotic" steel. I just acquired a Rex45 Manix and have another M2 in CPM 20CV on the way. Looking forward to seeing how they perform.

Still jonesing for something in Maxamet but have found that S30V and D2 are quite serviceable. I also really like 12C27 cuz it gets real sharp and sharpens easily. 14C28N as well.

One thing I have found to be true is that it isn't so much the steel used but how it is heat treated. A particular steel can be fantastic as used by one maker but only so-so as used by another.
Yeah Buck's Paul Bos heat treated 420 for example. Is 12c27 on your Moras?
"Some call me...Tim?"
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Adamantium after popularization of vibranium and beskar. But for real BG42, ATS34 and 55.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I think the following get a bad rap because they were common at one time or another: S30V, XHP, 20CV.

Everyone groans when knives come out in those steels, but I like them quite a bit.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:20 pm
BD1N comes to mind.
For me it performs a lot better in edge retention than it "should" according to objective tests, even Larrins.
And it is a dream to sharpen, even better than VG10 in that regard for me. Both how quickly it goes and how sharp the steel gets.
I am in this same thoughts about BD1
The OP is a loaded question IMO lots of good steel and their relatives are over looked
If every manufacturer feels that S30v is the chosen product fine , spyderco collaboration spy27
Would be awesome if they offered it more widely @ spyderco instead of S30v
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Wartstein wrote:
BD1N comes to mind.
I was surprised when I found out that VG10 and 154cm were almost indistinguishable. Would you say BD1N out performs vg10 in edge retention?
"Some call me...Tim?"
z1r

Post by z1r »

I actually have Carbon Moras except one SS I picked up for fishing. I have several small Ruike/Boker knifes with 12C27 mostly because have a bottle opener but also because the little blades are sharp and easy to keep that way.. :D

I also have one CJRB Ria with 12C27 that I love. That knife seems to not alarm folks typically alarmed by the producing of a knife.

I also love the XHP in my Chap.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The overshadowed (merely that!) VG10 (and perhaps the steels that VG10 has overshadowed).
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:36 pm
Wartstein wrote:
BD1N comes to mind.
The OP is a loaded question IMO lots of good steel and their relatives are over looked
If every manufacturer feels that S30v is the chosen product fine , spyderco collaboration spy27
I think it would make sense if they didn't make all their base models in one or two steels. Different steels are more suitable for different blades with different blade geometries.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:40 pm
S-3 ranch wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
BD1N comes to mind.
I think it would make sense if they didn't make all their base models in one or two steels. Different steels are more suitable for different blades with different blade geometries.
Ive heard that spy27 is basically s35vn, which is a slight upgrade of s30v. What would make you favor spy27 over s35vn?
"Some call me...Tim?"
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:42 pm
Paraguy wrote:
S-3 ranch wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
BD1N comes to mind.
Ive heard that spy27 is basically s35vn, which is a slight upgrade of s30v. What would make you favor spy27 over s35vn?
Of course!
Buy a spyderco and get spy27 , if it’s model suitable, why not?
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:50 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:42 pm
Paraguy wrote:
S-3 ranch wrote:

Of course!
Buy a spyderco and get spy27 , if it’s model suitable, why not?
:confused: What are you getting at?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

vivi wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:12 pm
H1.
Why would you say that is? Because it's only good with serrations?
"Some call me...Tim?"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

vivi wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:12 pm
H1.
Ditto.

H1 is vastly underrated.