Endura-thin-blue-line: What drives me crazy... (not meant totally serious ;) )

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Endura-thin-blue-line: What drives me crazy... (not meant totally serious ;) )

Post by Wartstein »

[ EDIT: Just to be clear: The title of this thread is not meant to be totally serious ;), more as an ironic exaggeration and making fun of myself... ;) ]

I think my perfect, no nonsense EDC folder would still be a plain jane Endura in VG10 and ffg SE (so far the VG10 SE Endura only comes in sabre grind)

Now the "thin blue (or red) line" Endura (see "Reveal 8" https://catalog.spyderco.com/Reveal8/?page=6)comes SOO close to this dream knife...being in ffg combo-edge... but still not full SE... :(
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed May 12, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
shaztec

Re: Endura-thin-blue-line: What drives me crazy...

Post by shaztec »

Why not check out the pacific salt 2 in Lc200n?
FFG serrated edge is awesome on mine...
shaztecs_knives on instagram
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

shaztec wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:03 am
Why not check out the pacific salt 2 in Lc200n?
FFG serrated edge is awesome on mine...

I will!!

Have the Salt 2 ffg SE already, it´s great!

I just heard of some blade play issues concerning the ffg Pac Salt 2, but I guess I just will ask the dealer to check for this.
Anyway: For day to day EDC I still slightly prefer the higher edge retention of VG10 as well as the feel of a handle with liners (to be clear: I don´t think at all though that the non-linered Pac Salt handle would be too weak!)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

They can't put them all in 1 reveal... I'm sure the vg10 ffg se is due for the next Reveal or one after that. Right in time for Christmas :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Combo edge isn’t a bad option.

People obsess about FFG but I think that’s mostly from people using cardboard as a test medium for knives. I’ve got both saber/HG and FFG SE blades and they all work fine.

Btw, a used Stretch 1 SE may be what you’re looking for.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:50 am
I think my perfect, no nonsense EDC folder would still be a plain jane Endura in VG10 and ffg SE (so far the VG10 SE Endura only comes in sabre grind)

Now the "thin blue (or red) line" Endura (see "Reveal 8" https://catalog.spyderco.com/Reveal8/?page=6)comes SOO close to this dream knife...being in ffg combo-edge... but still not full SE... :(

It looks like the "thin line" model(s) Rescue does come w/ ffg, serrated edge, and VG10. While there are some obvious differences between it and the Endura (blade length, blade & handle shape, ... the Rescue is a lot like a Stretch w/ a serrated sheepsfoot blade shape).

Knowing you love for the Stretch (like mine, and others), I wonder if maybe this might not be a bad idea for you, and a "quick" visit to the grinder to make the sheepsfoot more pointy if you desire that?
As David (Evil D) has done on one or more, of his knives.

... maybe the Endura isn't far behind?

u.w.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The TBL Endela and Endura look tempting. I, for one, am not opposed to combo edges. I like them, in fact. It gives me what I need where I need it.

Wartstein, I agree about the Endura being about the right knife. SE or CE, it is a great knife and does what I need a knife to do. It is not too big and not too small and it fits my big hands (after removing the first finger bump).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:58 am
Combo edge isn’t a bad option.

People obsess about FFG but I think that’s mostly from people using cardboard as a test medium for knives. I’ve got both saber/HG and FFG SE blades and they all work fine.

Btw, a used Stretch 1 SE may be what you’re looking for.

Yes, I am not opposed to combo edges - but full SE is a lot better for me, especially with the short plain edge part towards the tip (the "better comboedge" for ; 90% SE, 10 % PE ;) )

And: No, for me ffg is vastly superior over sabre grind in most tasks - even more so on Spydercos SE blade!
I had Enduras in sabre grind SE, CE and PE, I have a Pac Salt in sabre hollow SE (which cuts a lot better than "just" sabre grind) and of course ffg PE Enduras as well as Salt 2 and Endela in ffg SE.
The Endura sabre grind (SE, CE, or PE) is a great extreme hard use knife for me, but stands no chance agains ffg as a pure cutting tool.

/ Stretch 1 happens to be my second favorite folder designs of all times, just behind the Endura: But the "old" serration pattern of the Stretch 1 SE is a lot deeper, pointier and more aggressive than the "modern" lets say Endela SE pattern - and I clearly prefer less aggressive, shallow serrations.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

u.w. wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:50 am
It looks like the "thin line" model(s) Rescue does come w/ ffg, serrated edge, and VG10. While there are some obvious differences between it and the Endura (blade length, blade & handle shape, ... the Rescue is a lot like a Stretch w/ a serrated sheepsfoot blade shape).

Knowing you love for the Stretch (like mine, and others), I wonder if maybe this might not be a bad idea for you, and a "quick" visit to the grinder to make the sheepsfoot more pointy if you desire that?
As David (Evil D) has done on one or more, of his knives

... maybe the Endura isn't far behind?

u.w.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Funny, I even started a thread some time ago on that wharnie mod (on the Atlantic Salt, which is very colse to the Rescue 3) - see here viewtopic.php?t=88063 -
a wharnie Rescue or Wharnie Atlantic Salt would be nice options, in handle shape a lot like a PM2, for me just "better": backlock, lighter, more edge, less closed size, FRN instead of G10 -
But still not an Endura, which offers more edge and has not a choil, but a short ricasso, which I prefer.

Biggest downside of the SE rescue for me: Serrations going all the way to the tip! Great for "rescue" applications, but in a general EDC I prefer the short, chisel grind PE part towards the tip.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:51 am
The TBL Endela and Endura look tempting. I, for one, am not opposed to combo edges. I like them, in fact. It gives me what I need where I need it.

Wartstein, I agree about the Endura being about the right knife. SE or CE, it is a great knife and does what I need a knife to do. It is not too big and not too small and it fits my big hands (after removing the first finger bump).
Agreed, Doc. I like fully serrated knives for outdoor/trail/yard work, but I really like a CE on a long blade in a lot of situations. At my horse barn, for example, I almost always carry a CE manix.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:35 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:51 am

Agreed, Doc. I like fully serrated knives for outdoor/trail/yard work, but I really like a CE on a long blade in a lot of situations. At my horse barn, for example, I almost always carry a CE manix.

Agreed over here too ;) -For me comboedges are not as bad at all as some people suggest (and I figure the Endura CE could be even more useful than your Manix SE, cause the longer Endura blade gives you "more of the best of both worlds"?)

Still: This is not about a very good knife, but about my most perfect EDC - and that one just has to be an Endura in full SE (or, as said: The typical 90 % SE and 10 % PE towards the tip) :)
Nate

Re: Endura-thin-blue-line: What drives me crazy... (not meant totally serious ;) )

Post by Nate »

I actually like the idea of a CE Red Line as my first Endura. We’ll see once they drop.
:spyder:
Wartstein

Re: Endura-thin-blue-line: What drives me crazy... (not meant totally serious ;) )

Post by Wartstein »

Nate wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:52 am
I actually like the idea of a CE Red Line as my first Endura. We’ll see once they drop.

Sure a great choice for a first Endura!