Kitchen knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
S-3 ranch

Kitchen knives?

Post by S-3 ranch »

Since S-3 is a full service ranch, I guess when the 2021 catalog arrive I will need to shop the kitchen knife section, hopefully y’all can chime in on the must have models y’all have bought
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Pokey

Re: Kitchen knives?

Post by Pokey »

I've got a 4.5" Utility knife, 2 Counter Puppies, (one PE, one SE,) a Z-Cut PE, 2 Mule Teams, (PD1, SPY 27,) , and an Itamae Petty. I find the Utility knife gets pulled out of the drawer most of the time.

Its blade is very slim, so it doesn't try to steer itself through meat, vegetables, or fruit. It's fairly short in height, (spine to edge,) and the MBS-26 steel can be sharpened like a razor.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I bought the full MBS-26 range when they were rereleased in 2014, and they have survived the onslaught in the family kitchen for the last 7 (!!) years.

They are simply excellent value for money, and performs really well. MBS-26 sharpens easily, and responds well to a ceramic steel.

My favourite and most used is the 6.5 inch serrated utility (center).

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/K04BK/852

The serrations are designed to work on a cutting board. Most impressively, this knife will continue to slice a tomato cleanly for months on end without the need for sharpening! :eek:

This reminds me, I need to buy a backup or two…

I would love to own the fancy Murray Carter set, but I am the only member of the family that will not try to destroy them. This is why we cannot have nice things in the kitchen. :o
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

As others have said the utility knives with MBS-26 blades and polypropylene handles are great, just pure cutting function. The serrated z-cuts make good steak knives in my experience - what's not to love with the low price and made in the US? They're a little thinner than I like for paring knives but slice meat beautifully.

The only thing I find lacking in Spyderco's kitchen lineup is a more reasonably priced chef's knife or gyuto. They used to make the K12 chef's knife which is good if a little thick for my taste - my wife is a fan of it and probably uses ours more than me. It holds up better than some of the thinner knives when she decides she needs something frozen cut now, too. :eek: :)

The BD1N Murray Carter series look great and I would love to try them, but the chef knife style models start at $221 for the 160mm Wakiita Funayuki and go up to $310 for the 256mm Wakiita Gyuto.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:34 pm

The serrations are designed to work on a cutting board. :eek:

Ouchie! Ouchie! Ouchie!

I like serrated knives, but whenever someone comes near my prized end grain butcher block with a serrated blade, it makes me wince. :eek:
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Just use your folder this is more interesting
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:55 pm
Brock O Lee wrote:

Ouchie! Ouchie! Ouchie!

I like serrated knives, but whenever someone comes near my prized end grain butcher block with a serrated blade, it makes me wince. :eek:
No such issues here with my budget cutting boards! ;)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:06 am
skeeg11 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:55 pm
Brock O Lee wrote:

Ouchie! Ouchie! Ouchie!

No such issues here with my budget cutting boards! ;)
Quality end grain butcher blocks are a joy to use and a blessing for your high end kitchen cutlery. They seem almost self healing with PE blades. SE blades are a whole 'nuther story. One of the few times I use a composite board. ;)
Matus

Post by Matus »

To continue causing the disturbance in The Force ...

I have a lot of love and admiration for Spyderco pocket knives, but when it comes to kitchen knives, I pick a different poison ;)

F9AD7E3E-4427-4239-9C94-C9EF16F3EFE2.jpeg
B725F4EB-C696-4F01-9428-EC61E6C189A2.jpeg
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...