Outdoor Spyderco - what would you pick?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: Outdoor Spyderco - what would pick?

Post by Matus »

I am glad to hear that the Tenatious in S35VN is performing well. I am going to be honest - it is not the 'hottest' knife in the group, but would be considerably cheaper than any other candidate I am looking at at the moment.

... I must admit that the more I am looking at (== YT reviews) the Caribbean, the more I like it. The availability is spotty around here, but it can be found ...

I appreciate (I really do!) the discussion on Manix. As I said, it is a great knife, just not something I am putting high on the list here. Pinned construction is a minus point exactly because of cleaning the knife up if/when necessary - even though if I need to clean it from the blood, then something went horribly wrong and a clean pivot is most likely not my main concern :D

I hear you guys on the stretch. I actually think I can work with semi-stainless blade, so I don't feel 'limited' by lack of some higher end stainless offering (though I would not say to to MagnaCut - just for the record ;) )

Thanks for the feedback on the Dallara 3 - it is strange, but when looking at what can be found on YT about it, it is like the knife was only released in one limited batch.

It is a very good point about simply getting a knife that gives me joy - indeed, it is not going to encounter any prolonged hard use. And in this category it is right now Schempp bowie followed by the Caribbean.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
knifemovieguy

Re: Outdoor Spyderco - what would you pick?

Post by knifemovieguy »

I was talking about regular manix which can be disassembled, not the lightweight. Same weight as caribbean, cf one is even lighter, better lock.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm one of the people that makes a big deal about the lw model being pinned. i want it changed. however, if you get a more stainless model, it's pretty much a non-issue. it's my favorite knife though, so it's still a non-issue i'd like to see changed.

the caribbean is great if you can get past the looks. i love mine. whatever you get you'll probably love, even if it doesn't perfectly satisfy your needs.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
benben

Post by benben »

bobnikon wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:37 am
Huge fan of the Stretch, but your two options you stated K390 and ZDP... not exactly stainless. If you want stainless go VG10. If you want "semi-"stainless the ZDP. is great If you want tool steel that won't be too bad once you patina it and take care of it, the K390 will be a beast.

But really, for "shorter hikes" just pick a knife you like. You don't need a full beast mode bushcraft knife. You just need something that you like, that fits in your hand, and that you like (yeah, I said that twice).

Cheers
This post right here!! ;)
Stretch sounds perfect!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Maybe two knives would be best. One of the folding Victorinox Parer knives and the Spyderco of your choice.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

NCC-2893 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:36 pm
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Spydiechef. It fulfills all your listed needs and hopefully the ergonomics are agreeable to you. I bring it if I suspect I might need it for food prep in a pinch. It’s pockets very well because of how thin it is. It’s not terribly heavy. And you can rinse the whole knife off to clean it well.

Good points.
Never handled a Spydiechef, what I am not too fond of when looking at it though is the very positive blade angle - I assume (but don't know for sure!) that this is not desireable when not cutting on a surface? Like whittling, cutting handheld stuff and so on, since then the hand is in an a bit unnatural position when holding the knife and positive blade angles tend to not "grab" matter that gets cut too well and tend to slip off more? How are your real life findings on this?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:04 am
Maybe two knives would be best. One of the folding Victorinox Parer knives and the Spyderco of your choice.
That's the direction this quest will take anyways. And it probably wont stop at two either :D
But I get it, everyone want's a good start ;)
PiggyBackJack

Post by PiggyBackJack »

Police 4.

When I bought mine I had no plan whatsoever to use it as an outdoors folder but the **** thing just happened to fit that role like a glove! Long enough blade for food prep (or cleaning fish/game) and tough enough for most woodworking tasks (save batoning of course!)

It also carries very comfortably for its size. Mine has a lot of patina but I really don’t mind. If stainless is a must, get the vg10 one. Paired with a good fixed blade it’s everything I need in the outdoors! :)
QM on the S/Y Modesty under Captain T.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Manix is a good choice (but I really like the Endura in that role, sorry).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

knifemovieguy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:14 pm
manix for sure
What about dirt? Dirt in a ball bearing lock sucks
"Some call me...Tim?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:42 am
knifemovieguy wrote:
manix for sure

This is something I´ve been wondering about for a long time now: In theory you should be totally right - but in real life, two of the three Manixes I had/have got REALLY dirty not only once - no problem whatsoever!
Did you ever actually experience any problems (honest question, not a "hidden critique) ??
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Matus wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:52 am
Wow, thanks for all your feedback and ideas. Let me go through them quickly :)

First of all - I am only looking at folding knives at the moment. I plan to make a fixed blade myself, working on the design at the back of my head (I find the Bradford knives really interesting). but will probably only get to it by the end of the year as I will only be able to do a proper wet grinding once we move (too little space right now for my workshop) and these higher wear resistant steels (I am planning to pick Z-Wear most likely) would take for ages without overheating them.

Some really large knives like Military and Resilience were mentioned. The Mili would be fine concerning the cutting edge, but 140mm long handle ist just going to get in the way or at least feel weird (the Chief does).

The Subvert is one funky looking knife, but does not strike me as practical enough, nor does it triggers my fancy to get one (plus it is quite expensive)

The Manix seems to cause some polarization here :) I have checked it out recently as the blade profile would make it (for me) THE perfect spderco for the workshop, but I was not really liking the handle (it was the LW one). And yes, I would prefer a blade that is a bit longer or at least has a little more belly towards the tip.

Tenacious S35VN ... of course it must have been you @Wartstein to mention it :p Yes, I must agree - design wise it is the most no-nonsense choice. Basically a little smaller, much cheaper and less fancy version of the Caribbean, plus it brings a little more practical blade profile. I basically hate you :D I am going to give it time and see whether it grows on me. What I would like to see is some edge retention tests (I know, I know) as even though it is Spyderco, it does comes from China and it can be form fantastic to all the way down.

Pacific Salt kinda does land in the same category as Endura, sorry ...

The Manix XL is a big boy and I have heard good things about ergonomy, a bit heavy though.

Little knifes (Dragonfly and co.). Let me just say ... no. Yes I can use my Brouwer in to slice pizza or cut smaller apple when on the walk, but I usually prefer not to get food rests/juices in the pivot and longer blade makes it a little easier. Plus if you need to slice bread you are going to have a tough time. I love small knives in general though, just not for the purpose I am looking at right now.

D’Allara3 - now this is what I love about this forum. I literally NEVER heard of this knife before. Frankly, it looks super interesting design wise, the size is a check, S30V is plenty fine. I am going to have a closer look. Apparently - it is an older model, but it would seem it can be found on second hand market. Thanks!

Stretch, GB2, PM2 are all in the running too.

Centofante 3 - I used to have that knfie a long time ago. It felt a bit ... feeble (for the lack of a better word). I must say that it is a very elegant knife too.

Spydie Chef - I of course had a look at it. I am not sure. the blade shape is a bit extreme as as much as possible was done to make it compatible with a cutting board use. I guess it is a knife one really needs to get in hand and try to actually see whether it would fit the bill. Technically it does has a lot going for it.

So, that is where I stand right now.
The price on that thing though!
"Some call me...Tim?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:57 am
I appreciate (I really do!) the discussion on Manix. As I said, it is a great knife, just not something I am putting high on the list here. Pinned construction is a minus point exactly because of cleaning the knife up if/when necessary - even though if I need to clean it from the blood, then something went horribly wrong and a clean pivot is most likely not my main concern :D

Just to be clear: What I say about the Manix´s short cutting edge and this being a disadvantage is mainly true for me xoncerning the food prep you mentioned ! Cause there for me it really is, but you can try this for yourself before purchasing a new knife:
Take a folder/knife with about 88mm cutting edge and one with 73mm, and then cut what you typically bring for lunch in the outdoors.
Keep in mind that a clean pivot is not only a thing about dirty or not, but also about the action of the knife.
Perhaps, unlike me, you´ll find that for the food you bring the Manix works just fine and again: it IS a great knife!! (Though I have to say: In my rather extensive outdoor experience a longer edge has many more advantages than just food prep) - and I never had any real life problems with the pinned construction of the LW.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:50 am
Matus wrote:

Tenacious S35VN ... of course it must have been you @Wartstein to mention it :p Yes, I must agree - design wise it is the most no-nonsense choice. Basically a little smaller, much cheaper and less fancy version of the Caribbean, plus it brings a little more practical blade profile. I basically hate you :D I am going to give it time and see whether it grows on me. What I would like to see is some edge retention tests (I know, I know) as even though it is Spyderco, it does comes from China and it can be form fantastic to all the way down.

... I hope you mean the really GOOD price?!?

My S35VN Tenacious is one of the best bang for the buck folders I ever held in hand: Perfect, absolutely flawless fit and finish (even in things I don´t care for anyway like centering and totally even grind), really like in a custom knife.
Extremely well made, strong linerlock (imho best locktype for outdoor use IF well made) and so far the steel performs great.

Without any hesitation I´d pay PM2 prices / 50 percent more to get this Spydie. t is just perfect (I know, from China, and you´re right: That has to make it cheaper. But it actually IS anyway for what you get)
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

If you don't want a fixed blade my vote is for the Endura. It's light and easy to carry, it has a sizable blade and a back lock which is more suitable for the outdoors; some people baton with them. They also come in K390.
The cliff jumper is also a good pick.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:55 am
Paraguy wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:50 am
Matus wrote:

... I hope you mean the really GOOD price?!?

My S35VN Tenacious is one of the best bang for the buck folders I ever held in hand: Perfect, absolutely flawless fit and finish (even in things I don´t care for anyway like centering and totally even grind), really like in a custom knife.
Extremely well made, strong linerlock (imho best locktype for outdoor use IF well made) and so far the steel performs great.

Without any hesitation I´d pay PM2 prices / 50 percent more to get this Spydie. t is just perfect (I know, from China, and you´re right: That has to make it cheaper. But it actually IS anyway for what you get)
It is a great value. Although seeing as the regular g10 tenacious is 50 bucks it could be cheaper. But then again I'm not sure how much more s35vn is to buy and prepare.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:45 am
Paraguy wrote:
knifemovieguy wrote:
manix for sure

This is something I´ve been wondering about for a long time now: In theory you should be totally right - but in real life, two of the three Manixes I had/have got REALLY dirty not only once - no problem whatsoever!
Did you ever actually experience any problems (honest question, not a "hidden critique) ??
Well it wasn't dirt it was saw dust and pocket lint. It was still functional but it wasn't as smooth and i had to clean it.
"Some call me...Tim?"
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Paraguy wrote:
knifemovieguy wrote:
manix for sure
It’s not that easy unless you do it on purpose
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

knifemovieguy wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:10 am
Paraguy wrote:
knifemovieguy wrote:
manix for sure
It’s not that easy unless you do it on purpose
Or unless you're using a chop saw or your shoving dirt with your inaccurate friends.
"Some call me...Tim?"
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:33 am
NCC-2893 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:36 pm
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Spydiechef. It fulfills all your listed needs and hopefully the ergonomics are agreeable to you. I bring it if I suspect I might need it for food prep in a pinch. It’s pockets very well because of how thin it is. It’s not terribly heavy. And you can rinse the whole knife off to clean it well.
Good points.
Never handled a Spydiechef, what I am not too fond of when looking at it though is the very positive blade angle - I assume (but don't know for sure!) that this is not desireable when not cutting on a surface? Like whittling, cutting handheld stuff and so on, since then the hand is in an a bit unnatural position when holding the knife and positive blade angles tend to not "grab" matter that gets cut too well and tend to slip off more? How are your real life findings on this?
The blade angles are not so drastic that you’d not be able to do what you wanted to do. The tall blade also provides a lot of stability down the spine. Spydiechef is really is a jack of all trades, and a great choice if you could only have one knife for every task.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”