Outdoor Spyderco - what would you pick?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Outdoor Spyderco - what would pick?

Post by TomAiello »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:14 am
knifemovieguy wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:10 am
Paraguy wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:42 am
knifemovieguy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:14 pm
manix for sure
What about dirt? Dirt in a ball bearing lock sucks
It’s not that easy unless you do it on purpose
Or unless you're using a chop saw or your shoving dirt with your inaccurate friends.
The screw construction Manix is pretty easy to take apart to clean, if necessary. I used my Rex45 Manix to cut open a bag of mortar when we were laying paving stones behind our house, and gummed it up with the super fine mortar powder. That;'s the only time I had crud gum up the lock. It took me less than 15 minutes to take it down, clean it, and have it back in good working order.
BLUETYPEII

Re: Outdoor Spyderco - what would you pick?

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I really like the Siren. Some reasons to back this up.

The Siren has a very grippy texture and a good blade guard equating the very firm grip. I think for an outdoor knife safety is very important.

Versatile blade shape. Good for food prep and a little more (watch some of surfergringos videos). It’s also great for general utility tasks.

Nearly corrosion proof, super low maintenance and easy to sharpen.

The lock... some here have experienced “issues“ with the lock on their Siren. I have not experienced these issues, mine seems to be fine. It has no blade play, no lock disengagement issues, no problems of any kind.

It really is one of my favorite Spyderco knives and of the 21 folders I own, if I could only take one folder into the great outdoors it would be in the top three. Caribbean Leaf plain edge and Manix 2 XL would be the other two.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

The more I think about it, as an outdoor camp food prep knife, the more the upcoming S35VN Resilience PE begins to appeal to me. Might end up as a just in case leave it in the vehicle knife. For now, my SpydieChef and a Schrade fruit knife with a 4 3/4" blade fill that role.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I have a family too, and a smaller collection of Spyderco knives. If I was to buy a new Outdoor Spyderco, I would pick the Bow River, specifically so I could spend more money on being outside with my family. From your list I would keep the Caribbean in my pocket and keep the Bow River in the pack/bag/cooler for food prep and when ever you really need a longer blade. If it was really about the longer blade I would wait for the S35VN Resilience too, just bang for the buck/length. If you want to spend $200 on one new knife I am the wrong guy to listen to. $200=Resilience + Mule Team. If you can hear the far off voice of reality, all of your knives are usable and good outdoor Spyderco knives.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:26 pm
The more I think about it, as an outdoor camp food prep knife, the more the upcoming S35VN Resilience PE begins to appeal to me. Might end up as a just in case leave it in the vehicle knife. For now, my SpydieChef and a Schrade fruit knife with a 4 3/4" blade fill that role.

True. Especially the more the focus lies on food prep, the more the Resilience LW shines imho.

The Tenacious gives you an Endura cutting edge already, but the Resilience 4.2" of actually usable edge...this really gets into general kitchen knife range.

Some say the Resilience/Tenacious LW are not really "lightweight". This is true if one sees it in an ULTRAlightweight sense (go Pacific Salt ffg for that), but getting that 4.2" cutting edge at a weight of 4.4 oz is not bad at all - for comparison: The regular S30V Manix for example weighs 4.9 oz with its 2.9 cutting edge...
Darn, I guess I need the Resilience S35VN in full SE myself now... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Re: Outdoor Spyderco - what would pick?

Post by Wartstein »

NCC-2893 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:59 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:33 am
NCC-2893 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:36 pm
Good points.
Never handled a Spydiechef, what I am not too fond of when looking at it though is the very positive blade angle - I assume (but don't know for sure!) that this is not desireable when not cutting on a surface? Like whittling, cutting handheld stuff and so on, since then the hand is in an a bit unnatural position when holding the knife and positive blade angles tend to not "grab" matter that gets cut too well and tend to slip off more? How are your real life findings on this?
The blade angles are not so drastic that you’d not be able to do what you wanted to do. The tall blade also provides a lot of stability down the spine. Spydiechef is really is a jack of all trades, and a great choice if you could only have one knife for every task.

Thanks! :)

Perhaps it is a bit shortsighted on my side to just conclude from "I like negative blade angles" that "I don't like positive blade angles"... and the Spydiechef has otherwise a lot of what I like (lock, wide blade, long cutting edge...)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Outside of camp food prep, the two knives that define me as an outdoorsman are the SpydieChef for big game hunting and the serrated Pac Salt 2 for surf fishing. If different outdoor activities are on the itinerary, then different knives enter the mix. :)
Matus

Post by Matus »

Looking at the Siren there is one thing that makes me want it less - and that is the rather large distance between the hand and cutting edge. I mean - the knife was designed for water sports and fishing, there it makes a lot of sense as the handle gives extra security. I am just not sure it is optimal for a general use outdoor knife.

The Caribbean tops the list so far (I am painfully aware that the Schempp Bowie is just not the most practical knife out there, just super cool). It has a lot going for it (I would not mind if it was Vanax instead ;) ) and I belong to the group that finds the design cool.

The Resilience feels like too large. If I were looking for a knife where the primary purpose would be food prep AND it should be a folder, then it would be high on the list, but I don't think I need a knife as large as this.

@ykspydiefan - I hear you and what you say makes a lot of sense. Design-wise the Bow River should indeed make a pretty good camp kitchen knife. But for now I don't really need that (and once I get there, I will make myself a kitchen knife - that is something I do as a hobby and so can make a knife that would be exactly as I want it to be).

In general I was thinking as to how much focus should I put on the weight and I came to the conclusion, that I don't need a super lightweight knife. As long as I can carry it comfortably in hiking pants I should be fine. If I go for a run (rare these days) I normally don't carry pretty much anything (I might get the Salt UKPK as urban EDC eventually) and for normal hiking or biking the weight is not that super critical.

I am also only looking at knives that can either be had new or on secondary market, as any yet-to-be released knives seem to be getting delayed more and more (Crucarta PM2 is now supposed to come in September - few weeks ago it was May)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:03 am
Looking at the Siren there is one thing that makes me want it less - and that is the rather large distance between the hand and cutting edge. I mean - the knife was designed for water sports and fishing, there it makes a lot of sense as the handle gives extra security. I am just not sure it is optimal for a general use outdoor knife.

The Caribbean tops the list so far (I am painfully aware that the Schempp Bowie is just not the most practical knife out there, just super cool). It has a lot going for it (I would not mind if it was Vanax instead ;) ) and I belong to the group that finds the design cool.

The Resilience feels like too large. If I were looking for a knife where the primary purpose would be food prep AND it should be a folder, then it would be high on the list, but I don't think I need a knife as large as this.

@ykspydiefan - I hear you and what you say makes a lot of sense. Design-wise the Bow River should indeed make a pretty good camp kitchen knife. But for now I don't really need that (and once I get there, I will make myself a kitchen knife - that is something I do as a hobby and so can make a knife that would be exactly as I want it to be).

In general I was thinking as to how much focus should I put on the weight and I came to the conclusion, that I don't need a super lightweight knife. As long as I can carry it comfortably in hiking pants I should be fine. If I go for a run (rare these days) I normally don't carry pretty much anything (I might get the Salt UKPK as urban EDC eventually) and for normal hiking or biking the weight is not that super critical.

I am also only looking at knives that can either be had new or on secondary market, as any yet-to-be released knives seem to be getting delayed more and more (Crucarta PM2 is now supposed to come in September - few weeks ago it was May)

1.) Matus, I am 100% percent certain you could choke up on that Siren Ricasso just fine - and so close the gap between edge and hand if needed

2.) That being said: I am sorry ;), but reading your post just have to mention the S35VN Tenacious once more:
- a "smaller Resilience", but still with a cutting egde longer than most Spydies (like an Endura) while closed being not much longer than a Delica (difference only 3mm) and still having PM2/Manix grip area on the handle
- Not TOO light, but light (just like a PM2 or Stretch 2)
- and I am sure it will be available soon again (I already got one, and like you I am in Europe)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Resilience is only .08" longer than my Siren when closed.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Ok, I shall soon get my hands on a first candidate - I just could not say no to a reground American Lawman in XHP for 76€. I don’t expect to stop there though :)
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Great deal, I was thinking Kapara
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Matus

Post by Matus »

Kapara is a very cool knife, but has a pretty thin handle that makes me unsure about it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:15 am
Kapara is a very cool knife, but has a pretty thin handle that makes me unsure about it.

True. Thin is not the main issue (for outdoor use!!) though: More so that the gorgeous and high quality CF handle is rather slippery. And the comp. lock is not the best suited for outdoor use imho, especially the one on the Kapara.

An FRN Kapara linerlock Kapara with its very cleverly designed choil would be great!
Matus

Post by Matus »

Sounds interesting. And yes - the way the choil was designed on the kapara is its most interesting feature.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The Kapara wouldn’t be my knife of choice as a camp type folder, because of the thin handle grip you mentioned. By comparison, the also slender handled Chief, with its typical ‘Sal Shaped’ design seems much more comfortable to me. But of course, you could get by just fine with the Kapara if you had to.

But my suggestion would also be for the Stretch. The K390 and ZDP189 models are pretty hard knives to beat in their respective categories. And you’ve said you could maintain a less than stainless blade steel.

I’ve been carrying the Stretch again recently and it really fits like a glove in any hold. It’s such a comfortable knife to use. I think it’s one of Sal’s best designs.
9071C916-9EE1-4095-8672-AE5D2216AECC.jpeg
vivi

Post by vivi »

Couldn't go wrong with a Chief or Stretch. Worth noting the FRN Stretch has a thicker handle than the G10 or CF variants.

Matus, have you picked a model yet?
:unicorn
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I'd also have to say that the Stretch might be a good pick. Then again, I know OP has said that he isn't considering a Military, but my S90V BBS Millie is a perfect outdoor knife for me.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Matus

Post by Matus »

@vivi - As I briefly mentioned above - I managed to "win" a CS American Lawman in XHP with a regrind. I first want to get in in my hands. see how it works for me when it comes to design, size, weight, etc. Them I will decide whether I am fine with it, or whether I want to keep looking.

@Cambertree - those custom 3D shaped scales look sweet - who made them?. I need to get my hands on a Stretch to test it. It would in particular be interesting to compare it side-by-side to the Lawman :)

Yes, handle on the Chief (and I mean chief not the Spydiechef) is well shaped for work, the knife would however not be particularly optimal for a general outdoor use IMO.

But I am missing some warm, user experience based recommendations for the Schempp Bowie. You guys are a tough crowd sometimes :p
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:11 pm
@Cambertree - those custom 3D shaped scales look sweet - who made them?. I need to get my hands on a Stretch to test it. It would in particular be interesting to compare it side-by-side to the Lawman :)

The Stretch in Cambertrees pic is the discontinued Stretch 1, and as always I recommend to go and find one of these instead of the Stretch 2 (which is regular production and you can get it easily anytime anyway)
For me the "1" is even better than the "2": More compact when closed, but still offering noticeable more cutting edge and I prefer the shorter, shallower choil that gives me more control and places my hand closer to the edge when not choking up on the choil.
Also in this a bit larger knives I do like the "hook" at the handle end (which is a lot more pronounced in the "1")

That being said: The "2" is a great knife too, keep in mind the "1" is always among my top two folders of all times and all brands.
The "2" will have even better ergos for many especially larger hands